Start by marking “Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)

Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4,478 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Little Critter is having a ball playing with her new puppy.
Published June 30th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Just Me and My Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Me and My Puppy

Doc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
25th out of 221 books — 102 voters
The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownBeauty and the Beast by Teddy Slater
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
45th out of 102 books — 79 voters

More lists with this book...

Risa

This is the lively and precarious story of a little lovable bundle of mischief; a little critter
brings a new puppy home! With colorful and vibrant illistrations, this story takes you on a
roller coaster ride, along with his two worn-out but loving parents. It is so much fun to read,
and at the same time, it brings you back to your own hap-hazard experiences as a parent of a small child.

Extension: The children can learn that having a pet is a big
responsibility. There are many things that you ne
Brent Rogers
Little Critter surprises his parents with a new puppy. He traded his baseball mitt for him. He is told that he can keep the puppy as long as he takes care of him. Little Critter loses the puppy when he decided to chase a cat. Little Critter teaches him how to behave, sit and play. Little Critter is very mature and responsible.
Pam Vass
This book is a make believe book about a young critter boy who trades his baseball glove for a puppy. The puppy creates work, rather than help for the boy as they go throughout their day, but he seems to love him unconditionally. The tone of the book is humorous and light-hearted as it describes how the boy perceives the puppy’s ability to help. The little boy is an unidentified protagonist whom the readers can sympathize with as the puppy creates more work for the boy than actual help. This boo ...more
Shelby Royalty
I always loved the "Little Critter" books when I was young, and this one was no different. In this story, he trades his baseball mitt for a puppy and it tells of all the mischief he and the puppy get in to together. Young readers would probably really enjoy this story.
Lexi
Little Critter finds a puppy that his parents let him keep, but he soon finds out its not so easy taking care of the little dog.
Instead of listing all of the little critter books by Mercer Mayer and giving them all 5 stars, I would just like to say that these little critter books are so wonderful. Morgan loves to find the spider and grasshopper in every picture. I love that they are completely true to life. Morgan really learns reading comprehension of words vs. pictures with these books because they are from the kid point of view, so the words and pictures can be completely opposite.
Rachel
Little Critter trades a baseball mitt for a puppy, but his Mom & Dad say he has to take care of it if he wants to keep it. The book continues with his adventures with his new puppy. My favorite part is when he tries to put on the leash, and the ending. Recommended for ages 5 months+, 4 stars.
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a25, ar-1
AR Quiz No. 7277 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 1.6 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Tori
PB 19: This is an adorable book about a boy and his first pet. Of course the puppy is always getting into trouble but the boy still loves his dog. Also, I love the illustrations.
Jamie
My favorite Mercer Meyer from childhood. I loved dogs and this book was great. My parents had just about the whole collection for me and I just adored them.
Laree Brown
Once again another good read from The Little Critter collection! I really enjoyed reading this book. It can be used to teach students responsibilites.
Jessica
The Mayer book collection appealed to my son. I liked that it was heavy-handed with the theme/idea while still making it easily and effectively.
Katie Roberts
Little Critter is having fun taking care of her new puppy. It's not always easy but she is learning quite a bit about taking care of others.
Elizabeth
This is kollins favoriote(partly because he wants a puppy) but he loves all the little critter books.
Christina Sedore
My niece doesn't like it ether. Her words, "boring and just like other books," shes is 4.
Tammy
i love it.

this is exactly what it's like to have a puppy.

remember, don't shop, adopt!!
Theresa
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Andrea
Is Little Critter old enough and responsible enough to have a puppy? We'll find out.
Tate
This is a funny book. I like it when he is trying to dry his puppy!
Jen
Little Critter gets a new puppy and has a ball with it!
Bridget
A cute little story about a little critter and his puppy.
Kim
Apr 26, 2009 Kim added it
little citter feed the puppy in the moning
Whitney Gibson
PB48 Little Critter is a freat little character.
Gabriella
Cute an enjoyable for any young child!
Shadow
May 14, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jear
JEAR1-May
BGCC
BGCC marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Just a Bully
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • Franklin Is Bossy
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet