Start by marking “Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)

Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,794 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Little Critter is having a ball playing with her new puppy.
Published June 30th 1998 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Just Me and My Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Me and My Puppy

The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
46th out of 125 books — 93 voters
Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
29th out of 237 books — 111 voters

More lists with this book...

Risa
Jul 23, 2012 Risa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mercer-mayer

This is the lively and precarious story of a little lovable bundle of mischief; a little critter
brings a new puppy home! With colorful and vibrant illistrations, this story takes you on a
roller coaster ride, along with his two worn-out but loving parents. It is so much fun to read,
and at the same time, it brings you back to your own hap-hazard experiences as a parent of a small child.

Extension: The children can learn that having a pet is a big
responsibility. There are many things that you ne
Brent Rogers
Apr 26, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it
Shelves: beginners, animals
Little Critter surprises his parents with a new puppy. He traded his baseball mitt for him. He is told that he can keep the puppy as long as he takes care of him. Little Critter loses the puppy when he decided to chase a cat. Little Critter teaches him how to behave, sit and play. Little Critter is very mature and responsible.
Pam Vass
Jun 03, 2010 Pam Vass rated it liked it
This book is a make believe book about a young critter boy who trades his baseball glove for a puppy. The puppy creates work, rather than help for the boy as they go throughout their day, but he seems to love him unconditionally. The tone of the book is humorous and light-hearted as it describes how the boy perceives the puppy’s ability to help. The little boy is an unidentified protagonist whom the readers can sympathize with as the puppy creates more work for the boy than actual help. This boo ...more
Shelby Royalty
Oct 11, 2014 Shelby Royalty rated it really liked it
I always loved the "Little Critter" books when I was young, and this one was no different. In this story, he trades his baseball mitt for a puppy and it tells of all the mischief he and the puppy get in to together. Young readers would probably really enjoy this story.
Heather Jo
Mar 31, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Rosa Cline
Dec 14, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Little Critter learns the fun things he and his puppy can do but also the responsibility that comes with having a pet. A fun child-pet book
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mercer-mayer
Little Critter finds a puppy that his parents let him keep, but he soon finds out its not so easy taking care of the little dog.
Jan 25, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Instead of listing all of the little critter books by Mercer Mayer and giving them all 5 stars, I would just like to say that these little critter books are so wonderful. Morgan loves to find the spider and grasshopper in every picture. I love that they are completely true to life. Morgan really learns reading comprehension of words vs. pictures with these books because they are from the kid point of view, so the words and pictures can be completely opposite.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Little Critter trades a baseball mitt for a puppy, but his Mom & Dad say he has to take care of it if he wants to keep it. The book continues with his adventures with his new puppy. My favorite part is when he tries to put on the leash, and the ending. Recommended for ages 5 months+, 4 stars.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Tori
Sep 17, 2012 Tori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
PB 19: This is an adorable book about a boy and his first pet. Of course the puppy is always getting into trouble but the boy still loves his dog. Also, I love the illustrations.
Jamie
Apr 04, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My favorite Mercer Meyer from childhood. I loved dogs and this book was great. My parents had just about the whole collection for me and I just adored them.
Laree Brown
Mar 15, 2010 Laree Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
Once again another good read from The Little Critter collection! I really enjoyed reading this book. It can be used to teach students responsibilites.
Jessica
Nov 20, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
The Mayer book collection appealed to my son. I liked that it was heavy-handed with the theme/idea while still making it easily and effectively.
Katie Roberts
Little Critter is having fun taking care of her new puppy. It's not always easy but she is learning quite a bit about taking care of others.
Elizabeth
Apr 06, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is kollins favoriote(partly because he wants a puppy) but he loves all the little critter books.
C.R. Sedore
Aug 09, 2015 C.R. Sedore rated it it was ok
My niece doesn't like it ether. Her words, "boring and just like other books," shes is 4.
Tammy
Dec 16, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
i love it.

this is exactly what it's like to have a puppy.

remember, don't shop, adopt!!
Theresa
Aug 14, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children.
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Is Little Critter old enough and responsible enough to have a puppy? We'll find out.
Tate
Nov 10, 2008 Tate rated it it was amazing
This is a funny book. I like it when he is trying to dry his puppy!
Jen
Aug 20, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Little Critter gets a new puppy and has a ball with it!
Bridget
Feb 07, 2012 Bridget rated it liked it
A cute little story about a little critter and his puppy.
Kim
Apr 26, 2009 Kim added it
little citter feed the puppy in the moning
Whitney Gibson
Dec 02, 2012 Whitney Gibson rated it it was amazing
PB48 Little Critter is a freat little character.
Gabriella
Oct 05, 2012 Gabriella rated it really liked it
Cute an enjoyable for any young child!
Shadow
Kim
Jul 02, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-s-play
CUTE!
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • Just a Bully
  • Franklin Is Bossy
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad