Start by marking “The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try” as Want to Read:
The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try

The PMP Exam: How to Pass On Your First Try

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  231 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This self-study guide for the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam from the Project Management Institute contains everything project managers need to pass the PMP Exam, including 44 processes, and 592 inputs, tools, and outputs. Exam topics are covered and insider secrets, complete explanations of all PMP subjects, test tricks and tips, hundreds of high ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Velociteach

To ask other readers questions about The PMP Exam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The PMP Exam

Alex
Jul 05, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
Andy Crowe does a great job of teaching the material in the PMBOK and a few items outside of the reach of the standard. That being said, my one criticism is that his questions are too easy. I was definitely overly confident going into the exam (I was hitting 90s on all of the practice quizzes and exams that I took in the book and on his Velociteach website). Then, when I stepped in to take the test, I was reading very long questions that required much more critical thinking than the practice one ...more
Super_Chris
May 27, 2009 Super_Chris rated it really liked it
It's the #1 study guide, but MY GOD is it written with such redundancy and lack of proof-reading.
Alicia
Nov 01, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book is basically the English translation of PMBOK and a definite must have resource. I passed the PMP exam the first time and this book is one of the reasons why. It's easy to understand, has a great layout/organization and the quizzes reinforce the material.
GK
Mar 11, 2014 GK rated it really liked it
Not what I would choose to crack open for pleasure reading before bed, but definitely great for PMP exam prep. This book was used as a supplement to the classroom material for my prep course, and recommended to supplement - not replace - a complete reading of the PMBOK. I've heard Andy and Rita are the top two contenders for PMP prep books in this context.

I might try to get my hands on Rita's book as well...but in the meantime I'll be re-reading this book (and the PMBOK) twice as part of my exa
Stangreen
(Full Disclosure: Andy Crowe in one of my contacts.) Content is well aligned with the PMBOK. Provides very good advice on test prep and taking the test. I passed the PMP exam on the fist try, I'm sure this book help prepare me for the exam.
Jenny Chambers
Feb 27, 2015 Jenny Chambers rated it it was amazing
The perfect adjunct to the PMBOK Guide, for those seeking the PMP credential, which I did - and got - on my first try! Thank you, Mr. Crowe, for your indispensable and highly-readable work.
Mary Beth
May 19, 2015 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Good overview, but very minimalist. His questions were probably most similar to the actual exam.
Shahul Andalib
Feb 28, 2015 Shahul Andalib rated it it was amazing
An awesome book, must read for someone who just started to think about preparing for PMP exam.
Delhi Irc
Location: GG7 IRC
Accession No: DL027645
Jack
Mar 14, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
Well it certainly is a better read than the PMBOK, and served me well for my CAPM test - it did work! I passed the test yesterday, actually felt that the test was too easy, perhaps I over studied, but I was done with the exam in 45 minutes, rechecked the marked questions and reviewed answers left the test center 1.5 hours after arrival with a good passing grade. PMI-SD uses this book for our 'bootcamp' class and although several people commented that Crowe' questions were too easy I thought them ...more
Haytham El-zamel
Sep 01, 2014 Haytham El-zamel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice
Jordan Kendig
Jan 25, 2014 Jordan Kendig rated it did not like it
Get Rita's instead. I found this helpful for simplistic definitions, but it did a poor job of pulling all the pieces together. Each chapter was littered with references to other areas of the book, such as, "see chapter 4". I also found the content was not as challenging as Rita's which would have prepared me less for the exam.
Jordan
Nov 08, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it
Obviously this is recommended only for those studying for the PMP exam, but this is a great guide and study aid to the exam. It also comes with access to a ton of practice questions, which are absolutely essential before taking the test.
Karen
Aug 03, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
Great book - Great test questions. I used this book as a supplement to Rita Mulcahy's book (and the PMBOK of course). Andy explained things differently than Rita, which made things much clearer!
gramakri
Oct 26, 2012 gramakri rated it liked it
Overall seems to be a pretty useful aid for PMP exam preparation.

See my summary of the book at
Jamie
Jul 27, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
So far, this books fits better with my learning style than the other book I've read on this topic. It has more explanation in narrative form and fewer graphics.
Chris
Nov 20, 2009 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book as a study aid and did not finish it. Rita Mulcahy's book is much better. The best part of this book is the
chapter(s) on the fundamentals.
Geoffrey Morris
Jan 07, 2013 Geoffrey Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it fairly well. There were some presentation elements in the book that should be conventions. I'd love to renew the next edition.
Kandirra
Oct 07, 2010 Kandirra rated it it was amazing
I passed! This book was well worth the money, and the online lessons and tests helped a great deal. Love this book!!
Tricia
Sep 22, 2008 Tricia rated it really liked it
Excellent study guide. Provides clear explanations of terms and helpful practice exercises. And I passed... first try.
Carrie
Sep 03, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I passed the exam based on this book and class, so I guezs that's the best endorsement I could give it!
John Gravitt
My favorite prep book for the PMP. I teach classes on this subject and highly recommend this to students.
James
Mar 10, 2011 James added it
There's more than one way to skin a project manager, er, I mean a cat - yeah, a cat.
Keri
Sep 06, 2014 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still had to get into a boot camp. But the book had some good material.
Tressa
Aug 02, 2008 Tressa rated it liked it
seems easy enough. we'll see if it actually helps me pass on the first try.
Ankur
Jul 23, 2013 Ankur rated it it was amazing
This is a GReat book to pass PMP
Leela Kaami
Jul 21, 2011 Leela Kaami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
how i can read this online
Sulfikher
May 21, 2013 Sulfikher is currently reading it
The PMP Exam: How to Pass On
Andy Lai
Andy Lai marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
  • Pmp Exam Prep: Rita's Course in a Book for Passing the Pmp Exam
  • Pmp: Project Management Professional: Study Guide
  • Head First PMP
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guides)
  • Project Management: A Systems Approach To Planning, Scheduling, And Controlling
  • A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (Pmbok Guide) - 5th Edition
  • Weird Texas: Your travel guide to Texas's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
  • Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • The Six SIGMA Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies Are Honing Their Performance
  • Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands: The Bestselling Guide to Doing Business in More Than 60 Countries
  • Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay
  • Gazza's Guide to Practical Project Management
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Dating and Sex
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Pmp Project Management Professional Study Guide
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »