Start by marking “Port Eternity (Age of Exploration, #1)” as Want to Read:
Port Eternity (Age of Exploration, #1)

Port Eternity (Age of Exploration #1)

Lancelot, Elaine, Percivale, Gawain, Modred--created people, cloned to suit the purposes of their opulent owner aboard the Maid, a fantasy of a spaceship. They live in a kind of dream--until they face a crisis they were never designed to master.
Published May 5th 1987 by DAW (first published October 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Port Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Port Eternity

Bill
Dec 30, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Horror lovers; Cherryh fans and Alliance-Union aficionados
Port Eternity is a stand-a-lone novel taking place in the Alliance-Union universe. It is about the relationships among a super-wealthy born-women (Dela) and her born-man lover with her several owned Azi servants who have been exposed to tapes meant for born-men only. It explores the in depth interaction between two races: Human and Azi as only Cherryh can accomplish.

The prohibited tape concerns the Arthuran legend. Each of the Azi was named by Dela after an Arthurian character. The effect of le
Arthurianmaiden
Aug 23, 2015 Arthurianmaiden rated it really liked it
I started this book with a frown and zero expectations because I picked it in an arthurian mood (and in the blurb it's clear that the characters are not really the arthurian ones) and I've never liked sci fi.
I ended up loving it.
I loved the way Cherryh writes her characters, how everything is told so neatly from one point of view, from the reactions to other characters to feelings and interpretations. It's such a layered novels that I feel like I should reread it, one day.
Even if it's not really
Pete Storm
Aug 26, 2013 Pete Storm rated it liked it
This book is right on the edge of greatness.

At it's heart, it's a bunch of partial characters - a rich woman with an overwrought fantasy life, her clone servants and their programmed personalities, and the enigmatic new lover - trapped in a maddening pocket dimension. There are parts where the characters start to break apart, slowly going insane, and you realize they weren't whole to begin with, and maybe the narrator is unreliable. Those parts are cool. Parts of it, where it's a simple retellin
Fantasy Literature
The history, legends, and myths surrounding the man known as King Arthur are some of the most enduring and inspirational material in the English language. Like Robin Hood, Arthur’s name resonates in modern history. The number of books, fiction and non-fiction, which have been spun off the man is increasingly difficult to quantify. Appearing in such a wide variety of Western media and culture, most people, in fact, have only a hazy idea of who he was or might have been (including this reviewer), ...more
Gilbert M.
Jun 18, 2013 Gilbert M. rated it liked it
C.J. Cherryh is one of my favorite science fiction writers. Her Downbelow Station is one of the greatest SF books of all time and she always provides a good read. Port Eternity is one of her more fanciful novels. It’s set in the Alliance Space universe of Downbelow Station and Cyteen and focuses on seven Azi—cloned humans—who run a luxury yacht for the extravagantly wealthy Lady Della Kirn. When the yacht is stranded in jump space the azi are pressed to grow beyond the taped instructions which d ...more
Lorena
Jan 20, 2011 Lorena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sometimes retelling/re-imaginings of old stories do not go well; sometimes, like with this book, they do. Cherryh puts the legendary characters, or should I say, the personalities of the characters, in an entirely new setting and tells the story from the point of view of, to the Arthurian legend, a minor character. This, in my opinion, leads to an entirely different take on the personalities (much like Mists of Avalon did). That it took place in the same universe of some other books that I've re ...more
Thomas
Nov 29, 2014 Thomas rated it really liked it
This book reminds me a lot of Cordwainer Smith. Psychologically indoctrinated staff of the maroon spaceship resemble his under people. It does seem to end in medias res, though.
Lynn
Jun 13, 2014 Lynn rated it it was ok
Kind of melancholy. A different look at the King Arthur legend. I've never been that fond of the King Arthur mythos. Too much sadness and unrequited love for me.
James Kinoshita
Jan 17, 2013 James Kinoshita rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting and I enjoy Cherryh's Merchanters universe despite the archaic "tapes" terminology. Not one of her better books, but should not disappoint her fans of which I am one.

The biggest weakness of this book is the implied assumption of the reader's knowledge of Arthurian legends. However, the main character is strong and has an interesting perspective.

It's a short book, so not so taxing.
Katherine
A pretty decent book, taking the legend of King Arthur in a science fiction setting. It's pretty dry and technical, even considering the somewhat fantastical premise. I though the concept of specially bred slave clones to be pretty interesting.
Joey
Sep 07, 2011 Joey rated it liked it
Shelves: re-read-in-2011
Apparently forgettable, since my records say I originally read it in 1998.

The Arthurian stuff didn't work for me, so mostly was interested in this as a precursor to the better known Cherryh stuff. Can see some echos of 40,000 in this too.
Jonathan
Aug 21, 2007 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bred into servitude, their minds controlled by tapes, these slaves discover the stories of the knights of the round table and discover a kind of glory.
Diane
Oct 12, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
This book is for die hard Science Fiction readers. I love this author. I probably have read this book before and it is just as good.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Mar 31, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
A chilling reminder of some of the darker aspects of azi. But it felt too sober and somber for me to want to keep reading it.
Justin Howe
Nov 10, 2010 Justin Howe rated it really liked it
Short and enjoyable SF novel, that interestingly mixes Arthurian legend with SF. Well done.
Brett
L Gehl
L Gehl added it
Sep 28, 2016
Jillian Kitchen
Jillian Kitchen marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Kristy Halseth
Kristy Halseth marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Electric
Electric marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
xd
xd added it
Sep 04, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Shelagh Pepper
Shelagh Pepper rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2016
T Cromwell
T Cromwell marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jesse_McAstroturf
Jesse_McAstroturf marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Enrique Torralba
Enrique Torralba rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
  • Earthclan
  • Vaster Than Empires and More Slow
  • Rama: The Omnibus
  • The Outskirter's Secret (The Steerswoman, #2)
  • Journey to the Center (Asgard, #1)
  • Memory Wire
  • The Winter of the World
  • In the Company of Others
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
  • Six Months, Three Days
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • Harm's Way
  • The Blue Hawk
  • A Second Chance at Eden
  • Brain Child
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Nowhere Hunt
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Age of Exploration (3 books)
  • Voyager in Night (Age of Exploration, #2)
  • Cuckoo's Egg (Age of Exploration, #3)