Start by marking “Port Eternity (Age of Exploration, #1)” as Want to Read:
Port Eternity (Age of Exploration, #1)

Port Eternity (Age of Exploration #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Lancelot, Elaine, Percivale, Gawain, Modred--created people, cloned to suit the purposes of their opulent owner aboard the Maid, a fantasy of a spaceship. They live in a kind of dream--until they face a crisis they were never designed to master.
Published May 5th 1987 by DAW (first published October 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Port Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Port Eternity

Kernos
Dec 30, 2014 Kernos rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi/Horror lovers; Cherryh fans and Alliance-Union aficionados
Port Eternity is a stand-a-lone novel taking place in the Alliance-Union universe. It is about the relationships among a super-wealthy born-women (Dela) and her born-man lover with her several owned Azi servants who have been exposed to tapes meant for born-men only. It explores the in depth interaction between two races: Human and Azi as only Cherryh can accomplish.

The prohibited tape concerns the Arthuran legend. Each of the Azi was named by Dela after an Arthurian character. The effect of le
Pete Storm
This book is right on the edge of greatness.

At it's heart, it's a bunch of partial characters - a rich woman with an overwrought fantasy life, her clone servants and their programmed personalities, and the enigmatic new lover - trapped in a maddening pocket dimension. There are parts where the characters start to break apart, slowly going insane, and you realize they weren't whole to begin with, and maybe the narrator is unreliable. Those parts are cool. Parts of it, where it's a simple retellin
Gilbert M.
C.J. Cherryh is one of my favorite science fiction writers. Her Downbelow Station is one of the greatest SF books of all time and she always provides a good read. Port Eternity is one of her more fanciful novels. It’s set in the Alliance Space universe of Downbelow Station and Cyteen and focuses on seven Azi—cloned humans—who run a luxury yacht for the extravagantly wealthy Lady Della Kirn. When the yacht is stranded in jump space the azi are pressed to grow beyond the taped instructions which d ...more
Lorena
Sometimes retelling/re-imaginings of old stories do not go well; sometimes, like with this book, they do. Cherryh puts the legendary characters, or should I say, the personalities of the characters, in an entirely new setting and tells the story from the point of view of, to the Arthurian legend, a minor character. This, in my opinion, leads to an entirely different take on the personalities (much like Mists of Avalon did). That it took place in the same universe of some other books that I've re ...more
Thomas
This book reminds me a lot of Cordwainer Smith. Psychologically indoctrinated staff of the maroon spaceship resemble his under people. It does seem to end in medias res, though.
Lynn
Kind of melancholy. A different look at the King Arthur legend. I've never been that fond of the King Arthur mythos. Too much sadness and unrequited love for me.
James Kinoshita
Somewhat interesting and I enjoy Cherryh's Merchanters universe despite the archaic "tapes" terminology. Not one of her better books, but should not disappoint her fans of which I am one.

The biggest weakness of this book is the implied assumption of the reader's knowledge of Arthurian legends. However, the main character is strong and has an interesting perspective.

It's a short book, so not so taxing.
Katherine
A pretty decent book, taking the legend of King Arthur in a science fiction setting. It's pretty dry and technical, even considering the somewhat fantastical premise. I though the concept of specially bred slave clones to be pretty interesting.
Joey
Apparently forgettable, since my records say I originally read it in 1998.

The Arthurian stuff didn't work for me, so mostly was interested in this as a precursor to the better known Cherryh stuff. Can see some echos of 40,000 in this too.
Jonathan
Bred into servitude, their minds controlled by tapes, these slaves discover the stories of the knights of the round table and discover a kind of glory.
Diane
This book is for die hard Science Fiction readers. I love this author. I probably have read this book before and it is just as good.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Mar 31, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
A chilling reminder of some of the darker aspects of azi. But it felt too sober and somber for me to want to keep reading it.
Justin Howe
Short and enjoyable SF novel, that interestingly mixes Arthurian legend with SF. Well done.
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
David
David added it
Jun 28, 2015
Devi
Devi marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Azureblue
Azureblue marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
Heather Camp
Heather Camp marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • Earthclan
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • The Outskirter's Secret (The Steerswoman, #2)
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • Secret of the Lost Race
  • Children Of The Atom
  • Six Months, Three Days
  • Rama: The Omnibus
  • The Storm Lord (Novels of Vis, #1)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
  • The House That Stood Still
  • Courtship Rite
  • The Listeners
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Age of Exploration (3 books)
  • Voyager in Night (Age of Exploration, #2)
  • Cuckoo's Egg (Age of Exploration, #3)
Downbelow Station (The Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Pride of Chanur (Chanur, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)