Coming Home to Myself

Coming Home to Myself

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  24 reviews
From the heart of one of the world's most beloved entertainers comes an engaging memoir of professional triumph, private heartbreak, and personal victory. From Wynonna Judd's beginnings as part of the celebrated, multiple-award-winning, platinum-selling duo with her mother Naomi to an equally triumphant solo career to the dramatic turning point that forced the country musi...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Signet (first published September 27th 2005)

Kellie
It seems a coincidence I read this book within a week of Wynonna filing for divorce from her husband, Roach. This was a pretty good book. To be honest, I am not a big “Judd” fan. However, I have always been intrigued with the Mother and Daughter duet. I always wondered what kind of relationship they really had. I am not surprised of how tumultuous it was. I feel for Wynonna. I think her mother was not very supportive while Wynonna was growing up. Especially since she never revealed who her real...more
Linda Batey
Outstanding, insightful, brutally honest. I was a Wy fan before, now she's my (s)hero! Any woman, looking for self, will find this a great book.
Becky
I really enjoyed this Bib because it truly gives the reader a glance into her life.
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I remember when the Judds first appeared on the country music scene. I owned their albums. Albums, not CDs, not mp3 files but vinyl albums! I enjoyed their music and there was a certain mystique to the Judd mythology: single mom overcomes all and becomes a mega star.

Of course, nothing is as it appears to be and every family has its secrets and struggles. Wynonna's book is fairly straight-forward and her writing style is very conversational. She's open about the conflicts with her mother, her str...more
Marca
I enjoyed this autobiography. Behind Wynonna’s strong exterior is a human rife with insecurities. Sometimes we think celebrities have it all, not always realizing that they have many of the same problems we do. As a “weight-challenged” person myself, I empathized with Wynonna’s struggles with her weight. When she discussed how her family had to cut back spending because her finances tanked, I felt I was listening to a neighbor or co-worker talking about how they survived a lay-off. She and her f...more
Pia
There are some books that I am slightly embarrassed to admit I have read, and this was one of them. The story of Wynonna's meteoric rise to fame is interesting, but Wynonna relies heavily on 12-step jargon and platitudes to explain the complexities of her life. For example, when she nearly goes bankrupt, she traces the roots of her near financial implosion to her difficult childhood. There certainly may be some truth in her analysis. However, an equally compelling explanation might be that, as s...more
Amy
Am not even a country music fan,but after reading this, I loved Wynonna as the down to earth, flawed and wonderful individual she seems to be. Enjoy!!
Skip
Though it was inspirational overall, the writing was conversational and it was hard to get through. I couldn't wait until I was finished with it. The last three chapters all talk about her last 18 months before writing the book. I did get a HUGE tip out of this book. I found Onsite Workshops in Cumberland Furnace, TN. Google it. A workshop at Onsite WILL change your life. Thanks Wyonna for sharing so candidly about this. I am forever grateful.
Erin
It would ALSO be a shame if Wynonna and I do not become friends someday. :):) I love and admire her humility, her humor, her love for her family and her animals and her heritage and her home. Her passion for her talent, her acceptance of the discoveries about her past, her generosity, her willingness to forgive herself. Her intelligence,...How about her voice? I could go on.
Sarah Murphy
Not a Judds fan, but the show on OWN and reading Ashley Judd's (who I do like) autobiography made me want to hear the other sides of the stories. I believe Ashley's version. Plus Ashley's (All that is Bitter and Sweet) actually has a purpose which is to enlighten the world about all her humanitarian work around the world. Skip this one and read Ashley's.
Bethany
I really enjoyed reading this book. Since it is a memoir, it's not the greatest writing in the world. It's basically the story of her life. Since I've always loved her voice, it was fun to read about her. She went through a lot of tough things, and in the end of the book tells how she had to figure everything out. A good real life story.
Diane Dunham
by reading this book you can find out how down to earth Wynonna really is. Some people put celebrities on a high pedestal to the point where they almost seem unreal. You will laugh, cry, and find out how much you and Wynonna have in common. I really laughed when I find out she does some of the same things I do.
Cheryl S.
Jan 22, 2008 Cheryl S. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: sisters, mothers and daughters
Shelves: memoir, 2008
Absorbing, inspiring memoir from a woman who openly admits she is not perfect but is learning to make the changes in her life to bring her to a better place. Very interesting look at the family dynamics among women and the effects of inconsistant parenting.
Kris Phillips
I've always been a fan of The Judds -- especially Wynonna -- and I really enjoyed hearing her life story in her own words. She is a fighter and is still working on getting to where she needs to be and I truly admire that about her.
Ellie Revert
Oh, my goodness----this is quite a soul searching book. And I kept being one person or another---from event to event. I hope my daughter will read it, and she and I may just handle boundaries a bit better afterward. Wahoo to that!
Maria Luttrell
I appreciated Wynonna's honest account of her life and the struggles she endured as she searched deep inside herself to give herself the happiness she deserved; the gift of happiness that only deep introspection will provide.
AmblingBooks
The no-holds-barred memoir from the beloved music superstar.

Listen to Coming Home to Myself on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Jill
Dec 08, 2008 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of the Judds - particularly Wy
Not a bad biography as you see how she was trapped in many ways despite her successes. Just a good quick read, but nothing earth-shattering.
Stacey
This book was a little slow in the beginning but turned out to be a good read. Wynonna has definitely taken life's lemons and made lemonade!
Toni Garcia
Wynonna and I held hands as I thanked her for writing this book. Her response: "We all have a story to tell...."
Daniella Kinney
I really loved this book alot
and to learn what here live was like it was interesting
Christy
Wynonna's personal story is so relatable. I felt myself routing for you throughout the book.
Bridget
Interesting. I thought it could have been cut down, especially at the end.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Wynonna Ellen Judd (born Christina Claire Ciminella) is an American country music singer. Her solo albums and singles are all credited to the singular name Wynonna. Wynonna first rose to fame in the 1980s alongside her mother, Naomi, in the country music duo The Judds. The duo released seven albums on Curb Records, in addition to charting twenty-six singles, of which fourteen were Number One hits....more
More about Wynonna Judd...
Restless Heart: A Novel Wynonna Wynonna - Revelations Wynonna - Tell Me Why Her Story: Scenes from a Lifetime