Start by marking “The Hand in the Glove” as Want to Read:
The Hand in the Glove

The Hand in the Glove

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Wealthy industrialist P. L. Storrs has never approved of lady detectives, and he normally would not have made an exception of Theodolina "Dol" Bonner. But faced with a very delicate problem and surprisingly impressed, he hires her instantly. It seems that Storrs' bird-witted wife has fallen under the spell of a smooth-talking religious charlatan, and now Storrs wants Dol t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 190 pages
Published September 1964 by Pyramid Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand in the Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand in the Glove

Heidi
I actually feel guilty giving this two stars. I worship Rex Stout and as much as I love the fact that he was writing about an intelligent and skilled female private detective in 1937...I just didn’t enjoy the book. Of course it was well written but I wasn't engaged or entertained the way I've come to expect from Stout. I think other mystery lovers probably will like it but it just didn’t do it for me. Give me my Nero and Archie any day.
Rickeclectic
Dec 09, 2008 Rickeclectic rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only diehard Stout fans filling in
Shelves: rex-stout
Dol Bonner is the main character of this mystery. Lesser Rex Stout
Adam Graham
Hand in the Glove features Dol Bonner, a young woman who has started her detective agency with the financial help of wealthy heiress Sylvia Raffray, who is on the cusp of taking over her family fortune. Her Guardian, P.L. Storrs, objects to Sylvia's involvement in the detective business as it's created some bad publicity. He pursuades Sylvia to agree to quit the agency and her professional association with Dol which will essentially for Dol into a far less plush and favorable position.

However,
B.V.
Rex Stout is best known for his iconic Nero Wolfe character, but he also created the female detective Theodolinda "Dol" Bonner, who came to being in the standalone novel "The Hand in the Glove" in 1937, one of the very first female private eyes.

Although Stout only gave Bonner one solo outing, she also guest-starred in some of the Nero Wolfe stories, one of the few women Wolfe tolerated perhaps because she herself claimed to have been "inoculated against" men, even her suitor, the newspaperman Le
A.G. Lindsay
The Hand in The GloveI stumbled upon this book at a used bookstore, and since Dol Bonner had appeared on several occasions, I thought I'd read it.

First of all, the formula Stout had developed with Wolfe, really doesn't work well in this case. The middle seems to drag and the denouement seems too quick.

Given that this is Dol Bonner's first murder case (and a very early case for her detective agency), I can understand all the "buck up, Dol, you can do it" internal dialogue that this book is riddled with, but it becam
Molly Hansen
I am a huge Rex Stout fan, and this is the first of his books that I had to push myself to complete. Here he gives most of the characters introduced in the Nero Wolfe books a rest (including Nero and Archie), and introduces female detective Dol Bonner. It is a pretty drastic deviation from the seemingly easy style used in the Nero Wolfe books, and came relatively early in his writing career -- i.e., just three years after his first Nero Wolfe novel, Fer-de-Lance.

In the words of Amazon reviewer
John
Man, I keep reading Rex Stout novels that are not Nero Wolfe stories, hoping that they'll be just as great, and I keep getting disappointed. This is better than the others I've read, I suppose, but still no where nearly as satisfying as a Wolfe. I'd been thinking that the problem is that the main character here - Dol Bonner, a female detective who plays a minor recurring role in the Wolfe novels - doesn't really show the qualities or competence that have garnered her Wolfe's & Goodwin's resp ...more
Wade Grassman
I heartily recommend this book, for pure entertainment it is hard to do better than a Rex Stout mystery, I just love his use of language. Rex’s protagonist in this novel is Dol Bonner, one of the earliest examples of a female detective (it should be noted that the protagonist in Red Threads is also a female, thought not a licensed detective as is Dol). In this story Dol is hired to dig up dirt on a man. She is invited by her employer to a party which her target will attend, at the party her empl ...more
Megan
This is the one and only novel Rex Stout wrote with a female detective as the main character. Dol Bonner shows up as supporting cast in a few Nero Wolfe stories, but in this one, she's the star.

It's Dol's first murder, and first big case. I think Stout does a fair job of giving us a newly minted detective, and doesn't harp too much on the fact that she's female. It is a good mystery, not something simple - definitely something which would have challenged Archie or Saul, had they been there. The
Nan Silvernail
Theodolinda "Dol" Bonner is just starting her detective agency with her wealthy partner Sylvia Raffray when Sylvia's guardian, P. L. Storrs pulls the plug. But just after Bonner breaks the news to the office, Storrs shows up and hires her! She doesn't know it but she's about to plunge into a case of murder, a twisted mind geared to enjoy destruction and... a watermelon?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(I'll get into my thoughts on this later. I'm still sorting them out.)
Christine
I've always been intrigued by Dol Bonner, a female private eye who appears now and then in Nero Wolfe stories. I was elated to discover that she has her own story! This wasn't my favorite, mainly because it depicts Dol at the beginning of her career rather than as an established professional. She solves the case, partly by being determined, but is also maddeningly uncertain and doubtful of her own talents.
Katrina
An enjoyable murder mystery which kept me guessing.
Adam
Very good cast of characters, fine writing, and a strange plot (involving watermelons and strangled pheasants)--a whodunit that ends with a surprising, nasty-spectacular revelation. A second-tier Stout book but with the added curiosity of being one of the early--1937--notable detective novels to feature a woman private eye.
Rebecka
Outstanding. You can see the bones of Nero in Stout's take on a lady detective.
Claudia
Sep 24, 2007 Claudia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Rex Stout creates a tough female private eye in Dol Bonner.
Stout has a gift for making dialogue flow smoothly and for keeping the reason for the murder hidden until the end.
Good book for a fall afternoon.
Jest
Somebody on amazon accused Dol Bonner of being a crypto-lesbian. I say, bring on the crypto-lesbians.

Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Jenene
Jenene marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
  • Silver Spire
  • In Her Defense
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • Darkness Under the Water
  • Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1)
  • How To Enjoy A Scandal
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • The Cat Who... Omnibus 03 (Books 7-9): The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare / The Cat Who Sniffed Glue / The Cat Who Went Underground
  • The Revolution of Sabine
  • The Ghosts of Kerfol
  • Hammett
  • The Day the Rabbi Resigned
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • 100 Malicious Little Mysteries
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)