Start by marking “Hickory Dickory Dock” as Want to Read:
Hickory Dickory Dock

Hickory Dickory Dock

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Keith Baker displays his trademark flair for color, movement, and rhythm in this vibrant adaptation of the familiar nursery rhyme "Hickory Dickory Dock." A companion to his acclaimed Big Fat Hen, this twist on an old favoritefeatures some serious antics on the part of abusy little mouse. As a huge grandfather clock strikes each hour from one o' clock in the afternoon to mi ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hickory Dickory Dock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hickory Dickory Dock

Katie DeBrisco
Title: Hickory Dickory Dock
Author: Keith Baker
Illustrator: Keith Baker
Genre: Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme
Themes(s): Animals, counting, rhymes, telling time
Opening line/sentence: “Hickory dickory dock, the mouse ran up the clock.”

Brief Book Summary: The nursery rhyme that we all grew up and adored is back with a newer adaptation. Join many animals interact with the grandfather clock and encounter other animals during the hours of 1 o'clock and midnight. This is a funny, rhyming book meant for al
Marissa Lazar
Jan 28, 2016 Marissa Lazar rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books
Growing up, I remember learning time by singing the song "hickory dickory dock," but I do not remember ever reading a book that included the song lyrics. Keith Baker brings the song to life with his beautiful picture book, which depicts every hour of the day with animals that do what they would realistically do. The book begins with the mouse running up the clock and the clock striking one, from there we are introduced to a new animal every hour, until we get to 12 midnight when the moon shines ...more
Sarah Caswell
Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker is a great retelling of an old favorite. This book teaches the concept of learning the numbers on the clock with some help from a couple of friends. Each number was affiliated with a rhyme of an animal that told the sequence of the numbers that are being read. The illustrations in the book were fun, but yet simple. For each page the giant grandfather clock was the main subject followed by each animal that was cleverly illustrated around the clock. The layout o ...more
Melissa
Feb 26, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Keith Baker reinvents a classic nursery rhyme with his picture book Hickory Dickory Dock. He includes teaching how to tell time with the clock throughout the use of this rhyme and uses animals to help reinforce the concepts. Each time the clock strikes a different a time, a new animal appears and completes an action. The strengths of this book is that the time is classic and simple for students to understand and enjoy. The introduction of animals for each time the clock strikes is important too ...more
Morgan Flaherty
Sep 16, 2015 Morgan Flaherty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lis510, concept
Hickory Dickory Dock is a common nursery rhyme most people are acquainted with, however, this tale takes the story even further. The story tells of many animals passing by the clock and being chased away each time the chime signals the hour change. It is a sweet bedtime story, as the ending involves the mouse going to sleep. This book is also effective in explaining common actions of certain animals. For example, pigs roll in muck. This story is told in a song-like rhyming manner. You almost can ...more
Sylvester
Nov 07, 2012 Sylvester rated it liked it
3* art
3* rhyme

Like the bold colours and the added action in the nursery rhyme - fun way to count!
Kaitlin Burke
Feb 05, 2015 Kaitlin Burke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: concept-books
Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker is an adaptation of a well known nursery rhyme. As the grandfather clock hits each hour from one o'clock to midnight a little mouse has funny encounters with a new animal each hour. This simply book would help children learn to tell time to hour concepts. The concept of telling time would e made a little easier because through the illustrations there is a visual that children can see. The illustrations are delightful, have great detail, and would make a great ...more
David
In Hickory Dickory Dock by Keith Baker, the rhythmic text expands on this Mother Goose nursery rhyme, featuring mouse with a variety of animals as the grandfather clock strikes one through twelve.

Baker's mostly double-page spreads were done in Adobe Photoshop. While starring mouse, Baker focuses on varous animals, including a bird, snake, hare, bees, hens & chicks, pig, goat, porcupine, bear, and horse. Baker's flair for color and movement serves this story quite well. My favorite images ar
Marissa Yetter
I picked this book for my "concept picture book type" because of it was such a fun twist on an old nursery rhyme. I enjoyed how it incorporated different animals, and actions that caused the clock to strike certain times, while counting as well. The illustrations were very fun and colorful, as well as animated which I believe brings the story to life! It also uses a plethora of larger words to help familiarize children with a wider variety of word choices.
Emma Sims
Mar 23, 2015 Emma Sims added it
Shelves: concept-book
I thought Hickory Dickory Dock written by Keith Baker was a good book. I thought it was a cool adaptation from the old nursery rhyme i used to hear as a child. I thought the illustrations were very colorful and fun for children and adults. I loved all the rhymes used in the book too, I liked the suspense that was added when it would say and the clock stroked... and the action was on the next page making it exciting for kids to read and guess what it was.
Emma Sims
Feb 12, 2015 Emma Sims added it
Shelves: concept-book
Alia Sheya
Dec 02, 2015 Alia Sheya rated it liked it
Shelves: concept
Hickory Dickory Dock written and illustrated by Keith Baker is a concept book for very young children to help teach them rhymes and time. The book is beautifully illustrated with bright colors. The book has many animals in it and does a good job with the nursery rhyme song/book. It does in order until it gets to 12 o'clock. I liked how the mouse was constant in every page and how well the rhymes matched with he concept.
Jill Marks
Feb 01, 2015 Jill Marks rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Hickory Dickory Dock is based off of the classic nursery rhyme. The colorful illustrations go along with the nursery rhyme and the sky changes colors and darkens as the time gets closer to midnight in order to represent the passing of time. Hickory Dickory Dock is a perfect read aloud for younger students and would work well with teaching the early concepts of telling time.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Sep 30, 2015 Miss Pippi the Librarian rated it really liked it
It's the traditional Hickory Dickory Dock nursery rhyme with a new twist! From 1pm to 12am, a different animal visits the clock. At storytime, we identified the animal and made the animal sound to go with each animal. It was also a great book to count with our fingers again.

2015 storytime theme: clocks

Reviewed from a library copy.
RC
Aug 05, 2015 RC rated it liked it
The author does a great job retelling a classic nursery rhyme in an entertaining way for young readers with the parade of animals each hour. Readers will love finding the mouse in each picture and seeing what he is up to.

Hickory Dickory Dock promotes phonological awareness and print motivation.
Beloved Girl
Jan 31, 2016 Beloved Girl rated it liked it
Shelves: j1-j3
Very well-made and delicate bed time story. I like the nursery rhyme hickory dickory dock and a story with it. As time goes by, the sky is getting darker, and which was expressed with very exiquisite touch of the hands of the author. And this book finishes, as children get into sleep.
Maggie
Aug 12, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
Nothing too fancy or fabulous, but could make a good filler book in story stop. lots of counting and some rhyme (meter is a little off)
Barb
Mar 24, 2016 Barb rated it it was ok
Pretty pedestrian rhymes. I wouldn't bother reading it in class - there are other books to do the same thing, better.
Holly
Apr 04, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
This version was a lot of fun to read out loud. My preschooler had fun acting out the different events.
Sharon
Feb 15, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
we must love this one because we keep checking it out from the library!
Melissa
Oct 09, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Cute number poem great for teaching counting and animals.
Shelley
Originality: 5
Illustrations: 5
Story: 5
BooBoo: 3

I believe this is an original story. If it isn't I think this version is well done. I think the illustrations are thoughtful and delightful: I love the little details found on all pages of this book.

This is also a story that aids in learning numbers, how to count and how to read clocks.

Even at this age my child is fond of this book.

I plan to make this one part of our collections.
Heidi
8/10/09 How did I not write a review of this when I first read it? Odd. Well, another book for the younger crowd. Rhyming text. I like the illustrations and the humor instilled to match rhymes. Enjoyable for toddlers, but older, too. Wouldn't read the book aloud to the K-5 group, but I think I could manage a book talk. The K and 1 part of the group would still enjoy it.
Jill
Jun 05, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, picture
Great illustrations. Wonderful take-off on the original rhyme. Helps children learn to tell time and count to twelve through an original story as one animal after another makes an appearance at each hour.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A beautifully done rhyming book based on a nursery rhyme that takes us on a journey around the clock. Illustrations are simple with a touch of humor.
Jeffrey
Aug 27, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-boys
Very soothing to the little one when I read it to him. Enjoyed the surprise at the end of each turn of the page. Good bedtime reader.
Valerie
Sep 15, 2011 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to be at Discovery time with my grandson and loved the story at Sarah told it! Fun rendition and nice artwork!
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • The Three Bears Board Book
  • Who Is Driving?
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly: A Play Rhyme
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • The Cow Who Clucked
More about Keith Baker...