Start by marking “The Meaning of Relativity” as Want to Read:
The Meaning of Relativity

The Meaning of Relativity

In 1921, five years after the appearance of his comprehensive paper on general relativity and twelve years before he left Europe permanently to join the Institute for Advanced Study, Albert Einstein visited Princeton University, where he delivered the Stafford Little Lectures for that year. These four lectures constituted an overview of his then controversial theory of ...more
Published November 21st 1966 by Princeton University Press (first published 1922)

Manny
Mar 08, 2013 Manny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Physicists interested in history
I will say at once that there was a great deal I did not understand in this book, which is based on four lectures Einstein gave at Princeton in 1921. Though short, it is very dense, and obviously written for people who know considerably more physics and mathematics than I do. But I had read enough about the content elsewhere to be able to follow the general outlines of the argument, and I will do my best to explain what I got out of it.

Einstein's main goal is to show you how he arrived at the Th
Kerem Cankocak
Mar 28, 2016 Kerem Cankocak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Albert Einstein genel görelilik konusundaki kapsamlı makalesinin yayımlanmasından beş yıl sonra, 1921 yılında, görelilik kuramının daha kesin şekilde onay görebilmesine giden yolu sağlamlaştırma amacıyla misafir profesör olarak Princeton Üniversitesi'ne gitti. Burada verdiği dört ders Göreliliğin Anlamı başlığıyla yayımlandı ve Einstein'ın ölümüne dek her basımda gözden geçirildi.

Einstein'ın verdiği örnekler ve algıladığı göreli dünyanın tanımları oldukça açıktır, izlemesi de kolaydır. Ancak sun
Emalie
May 24, 2011 Emalie rated it it was amazing
Although I read this book fairly long ago, I do remember that it was a very advanced book. In the beginning, he focuses on space-time. Examples of geometrical invariants, such as the Cartesian line element and the volume element are discussed as well as the role of vectors and tensors. Complicating stuff.

He then goes on to discuss the theory of special relativity. He shows how this problem is solved by assuming that time and space are absolute. He also discusses the Lorentz transformations and M
Edward
A Note on the Sixth Edition

--The Meaning of Relativity

Appendix I: On the 'Cosmologic Problem'
Appendix II: Relativistic Theory of the Non-symmetric Field

Index
Eric Amidi
Sep 24, 2016 Eric Amidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
The way that Tensors are explained in this book is very old-fashioned, and understandably so. Today, you can learn it in a more advanced and intuitive way. However, this book affected me when I first read it many years ago. The way it affected me was that it introduced me to Einstein's way of thinking. As you go through the book, you learn about Einstein's thought process. You learn how he would base his theories on logical thinking instead of common beliefs at the time. That way of thinking ...more
Salma Bahaa
Jul 09, 2016 Salma Bahaa rated it really liked it
Was it a good book? Yes it was. Did I enjoy it? Yes, yes I did. Did I understand a tenth of it? BUAHAHA. No.
Well, I did understand a good deal, compared to the knowledge I already had about the complex theories and lectures discussed in the book. I actually found some satisfying answers to question that itched my mind for some time. However, even though this book did benefit me, I believe that it is more beneficial to those who are more knowledgeable about mathematics and physics than I am, as t
Margaret Langstaff
Whammo! The man who couldn't get a teaching job, whom everyone who knew thought a hopeless nutcase, and a virtual nobody at the time in the world of scientific research, this man wrote a paper in the dim light of early 20th century, The Special Theory of Relativity, and changed our conception of the physical universe and our physical world forever. His subsequent research in physics continued and built upon the findings in this book (independently proven by others as accurate)and the rest is ...more
Stefano
E' chiaro che le due stelline non sono il voto alla teoria della relativit� quanto piuttosto alla mia (in)capacit� di comprendere la matematica che ne sta alla base. Sar� meglio tornare a leggere libri pi� divulgativi.
Ahmad
Nov 16, 2009 Ahmad added it
when the time is not absolute it is so difficult to imagine such univers.i believe relativity theory is the begining of a new way of undrestanding of the world by mixing of experiences and deep imagination.
Andreea Obreja
"Teoria relativitatii pe intelesul tuturor" (titlul real) - close enough...

Nu e chiar pe intelesul tuturor (cei ca mine, care habar n-au de fizica), dar explica destul de detaliat asa incat, daca te chinui (si citesti de mai multe ori), vei intelege.
Kgw
May 04, 2012 Kgw rated it it was amazing
The paperback versions of this book are great. The Sony eReader edition is missing more than 70% of the actual equations and the rest are filled with typos so don't buy this book at Sony!
Joyce F
Jun 01, 2009 Joyce F rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Non-Scientists Who Want To Know
I am not a scientist, but I was curious and this book really helped. I highly recommend it. Also ... a good idea to read this or another like it before picking up quantum theory/mechanics texts.
Larry Gerovac
Nov 18, 2014 Larry Gerovac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some insights but you need advanced mathematics to read this one and get the most out of it. Some great commentary by Einstein as he explains the theory.
Chimezie Ogbuji
Jul 16, 2014 Chimezie Ogbuji rated it really liked it
More difficult to penetrate than Relativity: The Special and the General Theory, which is written for a lay audience anyways. However, an excellent companion to that book (which I now own).
Lukasz Glinka
Mar 27, 2011 Lukasz Glinka rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in theoretical physics which I read (translated to Polish, with another Introduction), when I was around 15 years old.
Phakiso Mohale
Phakiso Mohale rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2011
Chornraksmey
Chornraksmey rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Ovadya Ben Malka
Ovadya Ben Malka rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Abhishek Singh
Abhishek Singh rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Juan Ignacio
Juan Ignacio rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Mokgadi Boshomane
Mokgadi Boshomane rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Cyndi
Cyndi rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2013
Elias
Elias rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Electrodynamist
Electrodynamist rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Ron Kahn
Ron Kahn rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Steven Broadstone
Steven Broadstone rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
  • The Nature of Space and Time
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Experimental Researches in Electricity
  • Where is Science Going?
  • Human Knowledge: Its Scope and Value
  • Einstein for Beginners
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • On The Revolutions of Heavenly Spheres
  • Opticks
In 1879, Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany. He completed his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich by 1909. His 1905 paper explaining the photoelectric effect, the basis of electronics, earned him the Nobel Prize in 1921. His first paper on Special Relativity Theory, also published in 1905, changed the world. After the rise of the Nazi party, Einstein made Princeton his permanent home, becoming ...more
More about Albert Einstein...

“办理美国加州州立大学圣贝纳迪诺分校留学回国人员证明Q/V2166384296加州州立大学圣贝纳迪诺分校学历学位认证