Start by marking “It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Roy Spence has helped organizations such as Southwest Airlines, BMW, the University of Texas, Wal-Mart, the Clinton Global Initiative, and many others achieve greatness by obsessing about one big idea: purpose. Simply put, purpose is a definitive statement about the difference you are trying to make in the world.

Purpose is the key to creating and maintaining a high-perform
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published February 5th 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For

Zach Olsen
I think he is right, good businesses focus on purpose before how or what. Lots of good quotes and examples. The case studies at the end are a little redundant.
Adler Mckenzie
This is an amazing audiobook. I am a small business owner (17 years), and as I've survived the economic downturn, I've started "re-learning," and came across this audiobook at my library. Little would I realize how much the concepts Roy Spence articulates would change my entire business. Re-aligning my time, resources, and priotities into my clearly defined "purpose," my business is growing rapidly, and I'm seeing the fruits (very quickly) bear out from the principles set forth in this gem of an ...more
Sam Motes
This book is about finding the compelling purpose for your company and then keeping that purpose at the center of everything you do. It will give the employees the drive to do excellent work rather than just punching the clock. It gives many real life examples such as Southwest, Walmart and others that have done this and by staying true to their purpose have developed raving fans and a committed employee base.
I completely related to the idea that a company should base each decision on how it will affect its ability to achieve its purpose. A purpose driven organization must base all its marketing on its purpose, as well as ensuring all interactions with employees, customers, and others outside the organization are in line with the purpose and communicate the purpose.
I can't claim to have completed this one. The narrator is so robotic, that I couldn't get through the second disc. The content was interesting, but not enough to overcome the robot reading the thing. The foreward narration by the auther was great, he should have narrated the entire book, and I'm sure it would have been much much better.
Diogo De
A guide book for leaders willing to make a change, willing to make a difference and succed.

Showcases stories about purpose-driven companies that experienced a big shift on its potential by unleashing the power of purpose.

A must-read, my guide book.
My fourth of fifth book on this subject recently. It's good, not great but good. It does help decisions making and keeping you consistent.
John Hibbs
The book has some interesting points but is pedantic. The goal is to show that every business should strive for more than just profit (duh!).
Helping companies find their purposes and understanding why it matters to follow it.

Excellent new concepts to bridge change.

Good book, lots of real world examples.
A few new thoughts.
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Leah Hortin
Leah Hortin marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Lauren Torger
Lauren Torger marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
PAUL marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Ramona marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Heidi Barley
Heidi Barley is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2015
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Karrie marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Khalfani Myrick
Khalfani Myrick marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Sherri Dishon
Sherri Dishon marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Jake Steier
Jake Steier marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Martyn Arbon
Martyn Arbon marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Ira Johnson
Ira Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • 23 Anti-Procrastination Habits: How to Stop Being Lazy and Get Results in Your Life
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results