Angel's Gate

Angel's Gate

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Kimmy encounters two wild children who have grown up in the hills of Australia and tries to protect them from the unknown person who murdered their father.
Published September 1st 1995 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Angel's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel's Gate

Cheryl in CC NV
YA. A murder mystery and an exploration of the concepts of freedom and family, set in modern rural Australia. My 14 yo son and I both enjoyed and were impressed by it. As the climax approached I got too agitated to finish straight through and had to take a break and do housework. Then it turned out to be not quite as ridiculously fantastic as I feared, but still plenty intense.
Deborah Ideiosepius
A very enjoyable book aimed at younger readers but very suitable for older readers who do not mind a child protagonist. The first person story teller is Kim, whose father is the local doctor in a small rural Australian town somewhere in the middle of nowhere very much.

There is a bush man who is murdered, no one knows by whom, his two children are wild bush children and may have the key to the murder. Eventually they are captured and brought to the doctors house.

That is the outline, the real char...more
N. Anderson
EXTREMELY good, very emotional and a lot of beautiful visualization, you learn about the characters like you actually meet them and get to know them, very much like The House of the Scorpion UPDATE: I felt like saying more. Very memorable, and although is has a bit of that sick touch like in Strange Objects by the same author, it is not out of place.
Jessie
This was a pretty easy, and reasonably entertaining read. I can't pinpoint anything that really stood out at all though, which is a shame, considering I read it years ago when I was young and seemed to hold such fond memories of it.

The story revolves around the murder of a drifting scoundrel, his two wild children and a sweet doctor's family. The narration is told by an inquisitive young boy (Kimmy), who observes the towns reaction to such an event and the morbid curiosity of townsfolk, with a...more
Melissa
This is not so much an adventnure story as a suspenseful story set in Australia. The main character is a boy named Kim who is about 10 or 12 and who has an unusually close relationship with his 16-year-old sister. Their parents are the town doctor and nurse and because of that they become involved with a man who ends up being murdered. Besides not knowing who murdered the man, the reader is intrigued by the man's "wild" children who are wandering the hills and espcaping into the town to steal fo...more
Kayli
I thought this was a very well-done story. It reminded me a bit of To Kill a Mockingbird. I liked the plot (about a search for two wild kids in the bush of Australia), but what I really liked was the relationship between the brother (main character) and his sister. It was right on. There was also a very funny part about a kid named Keithy Ferguson seeing a girl's bedroom for the first time. Anyway, it's definitely worth checking out.
James
Studied this for English at school and I still have absolutely no idea as to why or why they didn't have us reading something useful, insightful. I greatly regret the material my school used for the purposes of "teaching", woo education, this book was no exception.
Ashleigh
I think this book got a bit confused of what it was really about. It started out being a quick read but then I think i simply lost interest. It was a good story, but I think it could have been portrayed a bit better than it was.
Betty
Another Aussie book from the stash---in Australia it won Children's Book of the Year: Older Readers in 1993. (That's me...an older reader). Great characterization, a mystery to solve: was right up my alley.
Chantal
Valuable Australian literature aimed at middle school or early secondary.
Yomiko
Yomiko marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Patty Deckx
Patty Deckx marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Maren
Maren added it
Jul 27, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Chase Taylor
Chase Taylor is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Mar 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dr Gary Crew, author of novels, short stories and picture books for older children and young adults began his writing career in 1985, when he was a high school teacher. His books are challenging and intriguing, often based on non-fiction. As well as writing fiction, Gary is a Associate Professor in Creative Writing, Children's and Adult Literature, at the University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensla...more
More about Gary Crew...
The Watertower Memorial The Viewer Strange Objects Pig on the Titanic: A True Story