Woodenface

Woodenface

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Meg is a Maker, pouring life into the wooden dolls she carves. Accused of witchcraft, she flees to Halifax, only to find her father in jail, facing death by the gibbet. Desperate to save him, she must first learn what being a Maker really means - and confront the demons that stalk her.
Published 2007 by Usborne

Nikki Austin
While this book is marked as a children's book, it was definitely a dark book. It should be a teen book with the supernatural, creepy theme and the old fashioned language. Though the author does include a glossary in the back if you're wondering what some words mean that have fallen out of regular use.

This book had a solid storyline, where Meg is accused of witchcraft and runs away to avoid capture. The whole point of the book was for Meg to explore her powers as a Maker and to find her father....more
Stephanie
"Alone again, Meg undid the strings of the bag that dangled from a rope belt at her waist, hidden by the long apron she wore over her plain dress. Inside the bag were her dolls - "figures", she called them. She took them out and sat them on the edge of the gravestone. There was Dilly-Lal, with her fixed smile, Drum-a-Dum with his sticks held out, reading to beat his drum, and Bolly-Bolly with his sly, knowing look."

Meg is a Maker, someone whose skill at woodcarving goes far beyond the natural. H...more
Emma Petrie
Although this is classed as I children's book I really wouldn't recommend anyone under the age of 13 reading it, mainly due to it havibg a very dark theme to it. I was 16 when I read this and I absolutely adored it. It's one of those books that's impossible to put down, and it has new twists in every chapter. I definitely recommend this book.
Wolfiesayshi
I read this book when I was twelve or thirteen and absolutely loved it! it was dark and sent chills up my spine and had comedy with lovable characters. It was a brilliant read and I would recommend it to anyone!
Jessica
I enjoyed it, it was a quick read. It's supposed to be "children's" book but I'm not sure I'd let anyone too young read it.
Claire
I found this really interesting... Not a book I would normally read but I really liked it. People jumping to the conclusion of witchcraft at every little thing. The folks the Meg encounters are fantastic. Simon is a great character, as is Ned. Of course, the evil folks are evil and suitably creepy. Not a bad read.
Amanda
This book is different to other books. I am surprised it is under the childrens section as a very dark tale indeed. Very enjoyable.
Rebecca Jackson
i love this book.
i find new things every time i read it.
its so good once when i was on holiday i finished it and just started again.
Sally
The blurb sounded interesting, but the book itself was just too weird. Didn't like it much.
Silia siaki
it was a great book i recoment this book to everyone
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Phoenixfyre
Phoenixfyre marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Maisha
Maisha added it
Apr 11, 2014
Peach
Peach marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Fatuma
Fatuma marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Tiara Pantorilla
Tiara Pantorilla marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Luke Slater
Luke Slater marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Hui Yu
Hui Yu marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013