Lucky Star 1 (Lucky Star, #1)

Lucky Star 1 (Lucky Star #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  21 reviews
From the studio that brought you The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!
When eating a chocolate cornet which end do you begin with, the top or the bottom? Which side is the top and which is the bottom? For that matter, what is a chocolate cornet? The proper way to eat pastries is only one of the many every day occurrences explored by the girls of Ms. Kuroi's class. Meet Konata...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Bandai Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Star 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Star 1

Diary ng Panget 4 by HaveYouSeenThisGirLDiary ng Panget 3 by HaveYouSeenThisGirLDiary ng Panget 2 by HaveYouSeenThisGirLDiary ng Panget by HaveYouSeenThisGirLShe's Dating the Gangster by Bianca B. Bernardino
Wattpad Books
48th out of 168 books — 647 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
274th out of 860 books — 2,498 voters

More lists with this book...

Chibineko
Detailing the plot for this series is a little difficult, as there's really no huge story to unwind or events to expect. The series follows a group of high school girls, all of whom have wonderfully distinct personalities. The most notable of the group is Konata, one of the main characters of the series. She's 100% otaku through & through, having been raised from an early age in an otaku-rich environment.

I'd heard so much hype from various fans of the series that I figured that it was time t...more
Lindley Walter-smith
This is like the dessicated corpse of Azumanga with all the comedy, inventiveness and charm sucked out. I can see why it kept being recommended to me as an Azumanga fan - the same set of four-panel "stories" arranged in vague episodes, following a group of girls throughout high school, with a female otaku as the novelty character instead of a child prodigy in that role.

Unfortunately, the characters are unlikeable and difficult to care about, the art is really creepy - these are high school girl...more
Temporal (Anthony Adams)
About as random as manga comes. The so-called "plot" varies from the main characters talking about pastries and how to eat them to manga and video games. Not much of a plot. But the main appeal of the whole series is that these are the type of random conversations you would have with your own friends. (Ever tried the conversations from Bleach with friends? Yeah, good luck with that.) Even from there, the characters are likable. Konata and her otaku tendencies. Kagami comes off as an unlikable ch...more
Dominique
Oct 13, 2012 Dominique rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people looking for a story of a simple, normal life
A casual, relaxing read into the lives of ordinary, differant high school girls, who are all best friends. It's a slice-of-life, so, don't expect much of a plot to happen: just gaze at the art work, smile at the humor, and learn to fall in love with these differant girls.
Paola E
Im on page 14. I can telate to' konata because of her obsession. She is a otaku which means that she loves amine and manga and goes to conventions most of the time. I on the other hand love anime and manga that I go to the extreme and dress up for my convention
Bianca
Lucky Star is hilarious, but terribly slow paced. I think it's more fun reading then watching a lot of the time since it's just about regular every-day life, but entertaining either way.
Phantom
Konata [Blue] Kagami [Pigtails] Tsukasa [headband]
Timothy
Having always been a fan of the anime series, I thought I'd give a try to the manga that started it all. Like K-On! and Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star 1 is drawn in the four panel style ('yon koma') that is similar in nature to the daily comic strips that one would find in any newspaper State-side, except vertical.

However, while it was entertaining in parts, I found overall the volume to be somewhat lacking. Granted there's not much that a writer can cram daily that's deep into four boxes, but overa...more
Apr 05, 2010 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
This manga is just odd. I'm wondering how the anime is now since reading this vol.1. The translator has left notes in the back of the book which are handy but I also find I don't agree with how they've translated certain words.

I sort of found it hard to keep reading the little snippits. I'm not entirely sure if they are really meant to follow a storyline or what..However, I feel like they aren't. Sometimes I didn't quite grasp what was trying to be said by the characters.

Storywise aside I rather...more
David Hall
Well, honestly a cute little book. I did enjoy it.

The story, however, has no plot. It is a series of loosely tied 4-panel comics. There are four main characters though. Each one has their own unique personality. Konata is a girl with blue hair that is very althetic without really trying much. She never participates in sports though. Why? Because she does not want to miss her prime time anime shows.

Kagami and Tsukasa are both fraternal twins but completely different. While Kagami is studious, sar...more
A cute, geeky, otaku-flavored 4-koma manga that has now become iconic in anime fandom. At points, I think I prefer the anime, but I still enjoyed reading the original. Naturally, my favorite part is Konata. She actually seems like more of an otaku in the manga than in the anime. It seems like KyoAni did a good job translating Yoshimizu's art into moving animation. I wonder in which volume do we "see" Konata's mom?
アレツクス コツト
Im behind on following the series. But its very cute and has its funny moments. The characters personalities are all great in their own way. Its great seeing how some are so different and are able to come together the way they do.
Elisabeth
I think this book was very funny because it showed little events in konata's life about how she annoys her friends and how she is so random she can relate to me in so many ways, she is just like me.
Aoitanuki
This wasn't great, the comic-strip style manga isn't a personal favourite, but it had a cute anime adaptation and likeable characters.
Also, I could get addicted to their cute dancing. ^^
Flying Sandals
Feb 11, 2013 Flying Sandals marked it as to-read
I tried to watch the anime. Made it about 8 minutes in then gave up. Hopefully this will be different.
713 Takara
Super funny! The random comics are going to blow your mind!{If you read it}
Maddie
Boring.
Don't get the point of it.
Stories are not funny.
Josiah
funny enough, i think the anime is better
Luckystarlily
yay lucky star awesomeness!!!!!!! XD
Cyantica
Cyantica marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Megan Zhang
Megan Zhang marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Grace Jalipa
Grace Jalipa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Favorite Characters 1 6 Oct 19, 2011 11:39AM
  • K-ON vol. 01 (Indonesian)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 1 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Strawberry Marshmallow, Volume 1 (v. 1)
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 1 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #1)
  • Code:Breaker, Vol. 01 (Code:Breaker, #1)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 1 (Spice & Wolf: Manga, #1)
  • DRRR!! Durarara!! 1
  • .hack//G.U.+, Volume 1 (.hack//G.U.+, #1)
  • Toradora! Vol. 1
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • The Record of a Fallen Vampire, Volume 1
  • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: The Power of Negative Thinking Volume 2 (Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei #2)
Kagami Yoshimizu (美水かがみ Yoshimizu Kagami) is a Japanese manga author from Satte, Saitama, Japan. He is perhaps best known as the creator of a four-panel comic strip Lucky ☆ Star which has been serialized in Kadokawa Shoten's Comptiq magazine since January 2004. He is also credited for creating Comptiq's mascot character Comp-chan (コンプちゃん Konpu-chan?).
More about Kagami Yoshimizu...
Lucky Star 2 (Lucky Star, #2) Lucky Star 3 (Lucky Star, #3) Lucky Star 4 (Lucky Star, #4) Lucky Star 6 (Lucky Star, #6) Lucky Star 7 (Lucky Star, #7)