Start by marking “Stand in the Wind” as Want to Read:
Stand in the Wind

Stand in the Wind

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
At a beach cottage, two sets of sisters who have never met before must spend a few days together without their parents. It looks as if it's going to be the longest holiday ever, until Martha discovers something about Christine that changes everything.
Unknown Binding, 247 pages
Published January 1st 1975 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Stand in the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stand in the Wind

Kennedy
Oct 16, 2014 Kennedy rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good but there were some parts that were not my favorite this is what I think of it.

so i'll tell you a little bit about it, so there were two sets of twins staying at the cottage for a week all by their selves. And the two sets of twins they did not really know each other. Ellen's sister Martha thought of this idea for the twins to come over to their cottage, but the day before she broke her arm, and she also forgot she was going to camp with her best friend she ha
Kara
Aug 22, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books as a young girl. An event from the book became a sort of mantra for me..."Stand in the wind and eat peanut brittle." It is a story of relationships and strength. Learning to stand against the elements as a metaphor for facing and standing up to whatever in life you might struggle against.
Lorraine Montgomery
Stand in the Wind by Jean Little is a great book for summer reading, especially to take to camp or the cottage, as it is about two pairs of sisters who are thrown together at a summer cottage and have to fend for themselves without their parents.

Martha wasn't supposed to be home when Christine and Rosemary Swann came to visit — she was supposed to be on her way to camp with her best friend. But a freak accident in her own kitchen caused the plan to change, and she finds herself with her older
Karen
Oct 08, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This may have been my favorite book ever from childhood. I have never forgotten about standing in the wind and eating peanut brittle. I get choked up just thinking about it.
Marlies
Dec 13, 2012 Marlies rated it it was amazing
Always remember your inner Martha. Stand in the wind and eat peanut brittle!!!
Mackenzie
Jan 17, 2013 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who like humorous
This was a very good book to read over the break and I loved it. This was an amazingly detailed short and fun read. In this book there are two sisters named Martha and Ellen. Martha is excited to go to camp but ends up not going because she... Then the Swann sisters come to visit their cottage and they... You will have to read it to find out the rest. Anyways if you want to read a fun, pleasure book over the weekend this is the book to read. This book is so good. I would recommend it to anyone w ...more
Cait
Aug 21, 2015 Cait rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
"Stand in the wind, and eat peanut brittle."
Shelly
Aug 31, 2011 Shelly rated it liked it
Book #42 for 2011 - This was a cute young adult book about two sets of sisters who spend a week together at a beach house. They learned to get along and love each other. :)
Emily
Jan 04, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read it as a child, it was amazing and heartrending. Still a top-notch book after 30 years. How a friend of one week can change your life.
Sarahled21
Jan 24, 2011 Sarahled21 rated it did not like it
Shelves: november
I didnt like this that much, too boring.
Lizzy
Jul 06, 2012 Lizzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favourite books out there!
Kiley
Dec 21, 2012 Kiley rated it it was ok
pretty good
Sara
Apr 20, 2009 Sara added it
okay
Amalia
Amalia marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Laurissa Leanne
Laurissa Leanne marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Carolina
Carolina rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Elsa
Elsa rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Anna N.
Anna N. marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Maeves Lynch
Maeves Lynch rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Sandi
Sandi rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Patty
Patty marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Lissa Notreallywolf
Lissa Notreallywolf marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Bella
Bella rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Amalee
  • A Handful of Time
  • The Root Cellar
  • The Gravesavers
  • I Want to Go Home!
  • All You Ever Need
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • How I Spent My Summer Holidays
  • So Totally Emily Ebers
  • Hey, Dollface
  • A Midnight Clear: Family Christmas Stories
  • Girl Runner
Jean Little is a Canadian author, born in Taiwan. Her work has mainly consisted of children's literature, but she has also written two autobiographies: Little by Little and Stars Come Out Within. Little has been partially blind since birth as a result of scars on her cornea and is frequently accompanied by a guide dog.
More about Jean Little...