Start by marking “Chanur's Legacy (Chanur, #5)” as Want to Read:
Chanur's Legacy (Chanur, #5)

Chanur's Legacy (Chanur #5)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,655 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
National best-selling author C.J. Cherryh continues her highly acclaimed series with a new generation of alien encounters.

A game of interstellar politics in which Hilfy Chanur and her vessel Legacy are commissioned to transport a small, mysterious religious object. The price is extremely generous, perhaps too generous.

Praise for the Chanur series:
A tour de force...quintes
Published September 1st 1993 by DAW (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Chanur's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chanur's Legacy

D
Aug 22, 2012 D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The new audiobook is out and I very impressed. First, I am going to concentrate on the audiobook. I am not going to rehash the plot. Suffice it to say that Cherryh manages to write a wonderfully complicated but satisfying book giving Hilfy Chanur center stage. I have read a whole bunch of Foreigner books since I first read this book, I can see certain similar themes-- Hilfy was once protocol officer on her aunt's ship which has diplomatic overtones, but Cherryh stays true to her vision of the Ha ...more
Travis
Nov 11, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, sf-fantasy
One of my favorite sci-fi series. Cherryh creates an alliance of aliens that feels very odd, yet real and refreshingly, we humans are not the big players in the galaxy. In fact, we are a minor race in the big scheme of things and seen as fairly annoying by the other races.

In this series the focus is on the cat-like Chanur, a race of traders. The heroine is the niece of the main character from the original series. She's trying to establish herself and her ship, away from the reputation of her fam
Jim
Aug 14, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Though they may not be human, the Hani, an alien race of Feline like intelligent beings, think and behave much the way that humans would and this makes it easy to be on their side when they interact with other less understandable aliens. In this story, the Chanur, a spacefaring clan of the Hani get involved in a commission that could be very profitable, but quickly turns into something unexpected and dangerous, it makes for a fun read and a bit of a parable of life here on Earth.

I hadn't read on
Sandra
May 02, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, scifi
This one is a good finale. A little better than those leading up to it. I'm glad the audio became available as it made the difficulty of reading the unpronounceable various species names and languages easy. Dina Pearlman, the narrator did an excellent job throughout. I prefer the later Foreigner series, but this is a good read.
Howard Brazee
Oct 19, 2014 Howard Brazee rated it liked it
I always feel that I should like C. J. Cherryh books more than I do. They are award winners, and any chapter I pick seems to be very well written, but I find them hard to slug through. There are other books where action is as slow, and other books with unpronuncable alien words and names. So I don't know why I get disappointed in them, looking forward to finishing them. I may have read this once before - I know I read its sequel - but I forget the details. I'm now old enough that I'm willing to ...more
Holly Bell
Oct 25, 2008 Holly Bell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: science-fiction lovers
Recommended to Holly by: found myself
Shelves: best-of-the-best
The culmination of the tale that began with Pride of Chanur. I was disappointed at first that it was told from Hilfy's point of view, with a new crew of characters, but have come to view this as the best of the series. Cherryh explores the nuances of culture-clash with just the right amount of tension and adventure, and in her world you can never be entirely sure of who is an ally and who is an enemy. Start from the beginning of Pride of Chanur and immerse yourself in the world until you reach L ...more
Lynnda Ell
Jun 01, 2010 Lynnda Ell rated it it was amazing
C.J. Cherryh used her not insignificant writing talents to return us to the universe of hani and kif.

Hilfy Chanur is the main character in Chanur's Legacy. She discovers that captaining a tradeship in the political shadow of her famous Aunt Py is no easy job. When her ship contracts with the shto to convey an article of historical/cultural significance, her leadership is tested.

The story roars along at break neck speed with complications at every turn. The climax begins with a practical joke an
Kathryn Rhodenizer
Give this series a read if you love other spacefaring entities!
Yblees
Oct 13, 2014 Yblees rated it it was amazing
Old favourite. I own a copy.
Ian
Aug 27, 2015 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
See review on SF Mistressworks here: https://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com...
Devin Partlow
Oct 26, 2014 Devin Partlow rated it it was ok
Lets just say i'm glad to be done with this series.
Matt
Nov 11, 2012 Matt rated it it was ok
I thought this book feel shy of the other Chanur books. It lacked the tension and at some points it was a little difficult to understand the political undercurrents driving some of the decisions and revelations in it. Id give it a 2.5. Again, the 5 star rating system is vastly inadequate for rating books.
Miramira
Apr 04, 2013 Miramira rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A comedy of manners where none of the social mores being tweaked and tested are human? Why not? Although lighter than Cherryh's typical fare (including the previous Chanur novels), and more predictable than usual in terms of who to root for, this book is nonetheless a highly entertaining read.
Lynn Hall
Feb 11, 2015 Lynn Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
The final story featuring the Hani focuses on Hilfy,who still has issues with her Aunt Pyanfar.In this story we learn a lot more about the Shtho.
Another fine installment.I wish there had been more,like her long running Foreigner series.
K T
Mar 06, 2009 K T rated it liked it
Quite enjoyable, and opened new ground exploring the stsho culture. Kif continue to be fascinating. I like how the groups that were originally painted as the villains end up just being people.
Beth
Jan 11, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it
Exciting quick novel, last in the Chanur series. This one is about young Hilfy Chanur, niece of Pyanfar, who now captains her own trading ship through space.
Gmc
Sep 18, 2016 Gmc rated it it was amazing
Years have passed since "Chanur's Homecoming". Pyanfar and the pride are of exploring, Hilfy Chanur is Captain of Chanur's Legacy.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it
Still too much unpronounceable stuff & long legalese passages but good story
Heine
Dec 04, 2012 Heine rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I liked the second half of the book far more than the first half.
Tim
For my full review of the Chanur series, see http://bit.ly/bZvj6T
Bunza
Jan 06, 2013 Bunza rated it it was amazing
This is why they named a freaking asteroid after her.
Azz Lunatic
Feb 03, 2009 Azz Lunatic marked it as to-read
Chanur's Legacy (Chanur) by C. J. Cherryh (1993)
Tilmar
May 02, 2014 Tilmar rated it it was ok
It was OK.
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 Howard added it
Molly Donaldson
Molly Donaldson is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Anna Sikorska
Anna Sikorska marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Aefields
Aefields rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Artifact
Artifact rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
  • Catspaw (Cat, #2)
  • Between Darkness and Light  (Sholan Alliance, #7)
  • Iceworld
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • Guilt-Edged Ivory (Ivory, #3)
  • Land of the Dead
  • Earthclan
  • The Law of Becoming (Jaran, #4)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • Rama: The Omnibus
  • Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga [Publication] #5.1-5.3)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Chanur (6 books)
  • The Pride of Chanur (Chanur, #1)
  • Chanur's Venture (Chanur, #2)
  • The Kif Strike Back (Chanur, #3)
  • Chanur's Homecoming (Chanur, #4)
  • The Chanur Saga (Chanur, #1-3)