Start by marking “An Independent Woman (Harlequin Romance 3685)” as Want to Read:
An Independent Woman (Harlequin Romance 3685)

An Independent Woman (Harlequin Romance 3685)

Julia Gracey has always lived by the rule that women should stand on their own two feet. But whenever there's a problem, Professor Gerard van der Maes always seems to be on hand with the perfect solution! Gerard seems determined to steal Julia's heart--yet she's just as adamant that he won't take over her life. But when Julia is about to lose her home, Gerard offers one fi

Published January 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published May 4th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Independent Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Independent Woman

Janet
I was disappointed her little wee shoppe didn't work out but he was the typical RDD with hot and cold running servants and he was determined to "make the deal". Her sisters and their DHs were lovely -- great to have a warm, close family. Not too many "Cinderella" overtones.
Heather
Aug 03, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Some days when things are going really badly, I pretend I'm a character in a Betty Neels novel.
Nell
Feb 12, 2011 Nell rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read although they ate rather a lot of watercress soup. Nice heroine.
Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 21, 2013 Lizabeth Tucker rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is an oldie but a goodie in authors. The thing that attracts me to Betty Neels is her use of language. Mrs. Neels had a great love of the English language and used it to great advantage. She could paint such wonderful pictures simply through her use of a particular word.

The books rarely are more than period pieces, set in the 50s through the 70s, yet the mindset is that of a much older and gentler time. There is little action of the type expected in books of today, even romances, although y
Barb in Maryland
Oct 13, 2010 Barb in Maryland rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is one of the last books Betty Neels wrote and it shows. It doesn't appear to have been edited, for example. Our hero and heroine are likable enough, but nothing special. All very tepid--but nicely so.
A few points, though--hooray for the fact that Julia's sisters are nice and that their husbands are also nice and that julia and her sisters have a warm and loving relationship. So often it is otherwise in Neels-land.
And I like that Julia went on with her life, not expecting our Rich Dutch Doc
Anne
Betty Neels has a way of writing as if the story were set in the Victorian era, so sometimes you'll get very immersed in the adventures of the nurse/caretaker and the Dutch doctor/professor, and then someone will mention a computer or a dress that ends above the ankles and you'll almost die of shock. You'll enjoy this book on a rainy, quiet day. However, as with almost any romance novel that has the word "independent" referring to the heroine in the title, everyone keeps acting as if the heroine ...more
Pamela Shropshire
May 24, 2015 Pamela Shropshire rated it liked it
Shelves: tgb
I have very mixed feelings about this book. Some things I liked very much; other things I quite disliked.

Julia Gracy is the odd duck among her two sisters. They are both engaged and soon marry. Julia pretends to have no interest in marriage and borders on downright rudeness to the RDD; she also is right on the verge of TSTL. I do like that she is a skilled needle woman. I wish she had a bit more business acumen and that her little shop hadn't been such a dismal failure.
Just 3 stars.

Amy
Jun 29, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: used, 2013
I liked this one. I was still annoyed that the hero kept his love to himself for so long like most of Betty's heroes do but I liked that Julia wasn't just waiting around for him. I appreciated the family relationship between the sisters.
Tanvi
Sep 15, 2014 Tanvi rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, sweet old-timey romance - a welcome change from today's bold romantic notions. The second of my instant faves by Betty Neels. Loved her 'Never The Time & The Place' (another old-fashioned romance). :)
Allison
Dec 09, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Why doesn't the hero just speak his mind instead of deciding what the woman wants for her? Arghhhh.
Rikke Jespersen
Apr 12, 2012 Rikke Jespersen rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
Læste den på dansk
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Janani Srinivasan
Janani Srinivasan rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Karen Thomas
Karen Thomas rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Merry
Merry rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Teetee
Teetee rated it really liked it
May 17, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2011
Lorraine
Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2012
Diana Lyn
Diana Lyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2011
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it liked it
May 25, 2008
Beverly Nelson-Walker
Beverly Nelson-Walker rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Noura
Noura rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
A.
A. rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Amh
Amh rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2016
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Ann Nichols
Ann Nichols rated it really liked it
May 19, 2011
margaret connor
margaret connor rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Except My Love
  • Amberwell
  • How Beauty Saved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight #2)
  • Phoebe Deane (Miranda Trilogy #2)
  • Mistress to the Tycoon
  • Stranger From The Past
  • Lone Stallion's Lady (Montana Mavericks)
  • Devonshire (Richard and Rose, #2)
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Long, Tall Texan Weddings
  • Pembroke Park
  • Child of the May (Forestwife Saga, #2)
  • Miss Ware's Refusal (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • Mistress to the Merciless Millionaire
  • The Cowboy Takes a Wife
  • Centre Stage
  • Waves of Fire
  • Patient Z
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and ...more
More about Betty Neels...