Marionettes, Inc.

Marionettes, Inc.

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In Marionettes, Inc., Ray Bradbury offers his devoted readers something both special and unexpected: a unified view of one small corner of a varied fictional universe. In five stories (one of them original to this collection, plus a rare, previously unpublished screen treatment), Bradbury explores the concept of Robotics and examines its impact on the day-to-day lives of o...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Subterranean Press

Marc Lalonde
Please, do not spend money on this short story collection, 'short' being the operative word, since it can be read in entirety in less than an hour. It contains only one new story, a very short story which is quite forgettable and which comes across as an elderly lament over current technology, as in "too many smart phones, too many internets...". One of the 'stories' is a 'play' treatment that is just a re-write of another story from this same collection. But, if you must pick this up because of...more
Kay H.
It's always hard for me to rate Bradbury books. I wasn't thrilled with the first story in the collection, but I was pleased that the rest of the stories were all set in the same universe. I enjoyed following the threads that tied those stories together and found the universe fascinating.
Fred Hughes
Ray Bradbury has a way with words. He approaches the issue from an oblique almost poteical fashion that is attractive to the reader.

In this anthology of 6 short stories we see the positives and the negatives associated with the hubris of creating copies of humans that are machines.

There is the grandmother that looks after three children with diferent needs and adapts to thsoe needs on the run.

We have man intent on killing his cheating wife by doing the act to her duplicate.

Each story asks the q...more
Evelyn
I absolutely loved this story. At first, I thought it was a novel and I was disappointed when I found out it was a short story, but I really enjoyed it.
Richard
Jun 08, 2009 Richard rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone: especially those who like real science fiction, fantasy or well crafted tales.
Recommended to Richard by: I have been reading Ray Bradbury since 6th grade.
Although technically these 6 stories are not all new (only 2 are) and the older 4 have been seen in other published works, this collection flows like vintage Ray Bradbury. They connect.

He is such a master of the language: his prose sings like poetry sung by an offstage chorus. At 89 years of age, he is still showing the kids how it's done.

The twists some of these tales take are reminiscent of The Twilight Zone at its height. To say anything specific may give away part of the story of the Fabulou...more
John Buckler
I don't know what else to say about Ray Bradbury that hasn't already been said a million times by a million people. He's just a straight up phenomenal short story writer. This book is a group of stories about human interactions with life-like robots. Interesting look into the mindset of people who would get themselves copied in order to take advantage of secret desires and fantasies. Crazy read.
Jami
This collection is a fascinating look at what life might be like were we to use robots to replace dead loved ones, to take over for us while we take a break from it all, and take out our vengeance. Lots of fun and thought provoking, two of my favorite things.
Cynthianna /Celine Chatillon
The concept is strong--what if androids are more "human" than the real thing--but the execution of "I Sing the Body Electric" leaves a lot to be desired. The earlier short stories based on the "Marionette Inc." idea are much more engrossing.
Greyweather
A decent collection of short stories. I am however greatly disappointed that they decided to use the exact same story twice: Murder by Facsimile being only the screenplay version of the short story Punishment Without Crime.
Kate
May 07, 2012 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sentient non-humans
Recommended to Kate by: its dimensions
And the always flowing river ran its tide to an end and deposited us all on a far shore in the late day.
Djenane
I really like this book it's a short read. Definitely interesting and different. :)
Dominque
The book appeared to have some underlying hatred toward woman. Disturbing.
Alyssa
it was okay. not that good. ending is surprising
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Simon Burdick
Simon Burdick marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Daniela Souza
Daniela Souza marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec...more
More about Ray Bradbury...
Fahrenheit 451 The Martian Chronicles Something Wicked This Way Comes The Illustrated Man Dandelion Wine