Start by marking “Kif” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Kif

Josephine Tey

Kif

Tey's first book; the sad story of a young man's downward path in the difficult post-WWI years in England.
Published November 1st 1988 by G K Hall & Co (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Kif, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kif

Lynsay
Jun 20, 2014 Lynsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Kif. It's a story about his journey through the first World War and the effect it has on his life after it.
I read this due to my appreciation of Josephine Tey, writer of books such as The Daughter of Time and Brat Farrar, to name but two of her classic mysteries.
This is an altogether different book. This isn't a mystery, it's a tragedy that looks at the war through the eyes of a young boy who went from having a career and fighting for his country to being left out in the col
Morgan Gallagher
Sep 27, 2013 Morgan Gallagher rated it liked it
An odd book, that leaves you with the sense of waste and desperation of the post World War generation. The writing is excellent, the characterisation superb and some of the description wonderful.

However the lack of proper narrative leaves you with a sense of it being incomplete: it's a story of an ordinary life lived in extra-ordinary circumstances, but there is no sense in the building up of the book's characters. the bleak ending that brings it all to a stop.

Tey would have been better taking K
Julia
Apr 29, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Tey completists
Some authors have fantastic first novels. Others work their way up from plodding to gripping. Unfortunately Josephine Tey is in the second category.
Several of her books are on my perennial re-read list (The Franchise Affair, Brat Farrar, The Daughter of Time). So when I saw that there was a Josephine Tey book that I hadn't read, I jumped on it. Now I know why I hadn't heard of it before.

The first half of the book tells of Kif's experiences in WWI. He enlists in the army as a way to get away fro
J. Boo
Jan 05, 2016 J. Boo marked it as to-read
I've been waiting on this for two decades -- the only novel by Josephine Tey I've yet to read. Some day the time will be right, and I will read it, and it will be done.

And I don't even expect much out of the book - this is a very early work, and she'd improved so much later.
Mar 25, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
Very clearly a response to Kipling's Kim. What would happen to a boy like Kim, clever, competent, good-hearted, and always longing for adventure, if he were born poor in the class system of pre-WWI England, served in the war, and came home in one piece?
Morleymor
Oct 27, 2015 Morleymor rated it really liked it
Well written and entertaining.
Polly
Sep 25, 2014 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, adult
Excellent, but such a sad ending.
Margareth8537
Josephine Tey's first book. Came across it by chance. She got a lot better!
Doreen Gooding
Doreen Gooding marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Fullfaun
Fullfaun marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Audrey Jones
Audrey Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sandy Sexton
Sandy Sexton rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
PATRICIA DUNN
PATRICIA DUNN marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Sherron Shen
Sherron Shen rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
chris chieppa
chris chieppa rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Bryoniadioica
Bryoniadioica rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Idiellana
Idiellana rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2015
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Lyn Baines
Lyn Baines marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
RachelXie
RachelXie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Josephine Tey was a pseudonym of Elizabeth Mackintosh. Josephine was her mother's first name and Tey the surname of an English Grandmother. As Josephine Tey, she wrote six mystery novels including Scotland Yard's Inspector Alan Grant.

The first of these, 'The Man in the Queue' (1929) was published under the pseudonym of Gordon Daviot , whose name also appears on the title page of another of her 19
More about Josephine Tey...