Start by marking “Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion #1)” as Want to Read:
Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion #1)

Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The sole survivor of a spaceship battle, Kurt Morgan's survival capsule finds an Earth-type planet in this unknown system. Stranded for life, he must adapt quickly to the strange terrain and even stranger inhabitants or face extinction. But would it be possible for him to learn the ways of this totally alien culture & to entirely adapt his human reactions to their fabu ...more
Published (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Brothers of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers of Earth

Lupercal
Way back in the 70's I tried to read some fantasy book by CJC and gave up, considering it peurile. I was 15 and my god was J.G. Ballard.

Much later, after the English New Wave (sadly) waned in influence and SF retreated into its clique, I discovered the Chanur/Hani books and was filled with a new delight over space opera. And after that - a long time after - I found this 1976 novel and read it during an evening of insomnia.

It's good. Not great, but certainly good. The seeds of her wonderful ali
Silvio Curtis
I would like this book a lot if it didn't make one of the most unforgiveable mistakes of science fiction, humanoid aliens.

Kurt Morgan, the main character, is stranded in the middle of their complex (but thoroughly human-like) culture. The only other true humans on the planet are some earlier castaways from centuries earlier who have turned barbaric in the meantime, and Djan, a more recent arrival who has made herself ruler of the city at which Kurt arrives. In general the book fits the descripti
Caermon
I first read this book when it came out in the '70s and it hasn't lost a thing in the intervening decades. More a tale of people with some science fiction elements thrown in, it was an early inspiration for my own writing.
Tomislav
This was C.J.Cherryh's first novel written, although the publisher decided to release her second novel written to the market first. It is considered part of her Alliance/Union universe, but I think that was a later positioning as it does not really relate in an important way to the main body of her work.

This was a quick read, with fairly simple plot and characters, reminiscent to some extent of Andre Norton. The main character is the sole survivor of a space battle, who crashes onto a planet wit
Mutlu Cankay
Kurt Morgan, yıldızlar arası bir savaşın korkunç çarpışmasından son kurtulan kişidir. adını bilmediği gezegen düştüğünde filikası, insan ırkına benzeyen garip bir kültürle tanışacak ve onlardan biri olabilmek için elinden geleni yapacaktır. Ama geçmişi ve görünüşü onu hep diğerlerinden ayıracak, uyum sağlamasını engelleyecektir. Acaba Morgan bu gezegende huzur bulacak mıdır?

Yazar, space opera türünde yazdığı eseri kurgularken bir çok sosyal dinamiği ve kültürü melezlemeye çalışmış. Nemet kültürü
James
This was the very first Cherryh book that I read. I had wanted to read Downbelow Station for a while but I couldn't get my hands on it. This was the only book available at my local library.

I started to read the book with some trepidation as I had not read much sci-fi at this point being a major fantasy freak. Very quickly I was drawn into the story as Cherryh weaves a rich and colourful world and characters. Having read many of her books since she excels at writing stories which have various rac
Joe
This isn't my cup of tea, but I like it anyway. I completely lost myself in this nice story. I was desperate for a story and had nothing on hand. I dug through a box of old books and found an old book club edition from my middle school years. This is fine story telling.
Kenny
This novel has a strong plot, strong POV character and an alien society with a deep background. Plot has human adapting to alien culture and participating in a grand political conflict.

Great description of galley warfare; based on ancient Greece? Highly Recommended.
John
1978 grade C-
Erik Graff
Aug 22, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cherryh fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I had occasionally picked up Cherryh's books for years, finding them often deeply discounted in used bookstores, but had been reluctant to read them for two reasons. First, so many were set within broader frameworks and I hadn't all the titles of such series. Second, if given a choice, I generally prefer relevant, near-future science fictions, stuff that is relevant to current trends and problems. When finally getting around to reading her, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of h ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I started trying to read this and found myself thinking that I really couldn't get into it. Possibly because the author's description on her web site is a little too descriptive, and possibly because well, this book is over 30 years old and reads like it. And also possibly because ... the chunks of the timeline in this universe that contain Elene Quen and Ariane Emory are more interesting to me than the ones that don't.
Samuel
A story of two humans from opposing camps marooned on an alien world. C.J. Cherryh impresses with the world-building. (You can see how some of the ideas in this book flowed into her later works.) The impact of the alien culture on the protaganist and how he tries to cope rings true.
Mike Franklin
My first Cherryh and it was really quite good considering it was only her second book. I shall definitely read more of hers.
Jonathan
Some aliens are not very alien
Heather Camp
Heather Camp marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Samu
Samu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
S.J. Cairns
S.J. Cairns marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Xabi1990
Xabi1990 marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Pete
Pete added it
Apr 26, 2015
Sonny Lee
Sonny Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Matthew Douglass
Matthew Douglass marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
  • Earthclan
  • Irsud (Diadem, #3)
  • Moongather (Duel of Sorcery, #1)
  • Black Star Rising
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • The Man with a Thousand Names
  • Players at the Game of People
  • Uncharted Stars
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • A Choice of Gods
  • The Winter of the World
  • The End of All Songs (Dancers at the End of Time, #3)
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Worlds (Worlds, #1)
  • Orn (Of Man and Manta, #2)
  • Child of Fortune
  • Secret of the Lost Race
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began ...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...

Hanan Rebellion (2 books)
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion, #2)
Downbelow Station (The Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Pride of Chanur (Chanur, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)