Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion, #1/Alliance-Union Universe)

Brothers of Earth (Hanan Rebellion #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The sole survivor of a spaceship battle, Kurt Morgan's survival capsule finds an Earth-type planet in this unknown system. Stranded for life, he must adapt quickly to the strange terrain and even stranger inhabitants or face extinction. But would it be possible for him to learn the ways of this totally alien culture & to entirely adapt his human reactions to their fabu...more
Published (first published 1976)

Silvio Curtis
I would like this book a lot if it didn't make one of the most unforgiveable mistakes of science fiction, humanoid aliens.

Kurt Morgan, the main character, is stranded in the middle of their complex (but thoroughly human-like) culture. The only other true humans on the planet are some earlier castaways from centuries earlier who have turned barbaric in the meantime, and Djan, a more recent arrival who has made herself ruler of the city at which Kurt arrives. In general the book fits the descripti...more
Lupercal
Way back in the 70's I tried to read some fantasy book by CJC and gave up, considering it peurile. I was 15 and my god was J.G. Ballard.

Much later, after the English New Wave (sadly) waned in influence and SF retreated into its clique, I discovered the Chanur/Hani books and was filled with a new delight over space opera. And after that - a long time after - I found this 1976 novel and read it during an evening of insomnia.

It's good. Not great, but certainly good. The seeds of her wonderful ali...more
Caermon
I first read this book when it came out in the '70s and it hasn't lost a thing in the intervening decades. More a tale of people with some science fiction elements thrown in, it was an early inspiration for my own writing.
Tomislav
This was C.J.Cherryh's first novel written, although the publisher decided to release her second novel written to the market first. It is considered part of her Alliance/Union universe, but I think that was a later positioning as it does not really relate in an important way to the main body of her work.

This was a quick read, with fairly simple plot and characters, reminiscent to some extent of Andre Norton. The main character is the sole survivor of a space battle, who crashes onto a planet wit...more
Mutlu Cankay
Kurt Morgan, yıldızlar arası bir savaşın korkunç çarpışmasından son kurtulan kişidir. adını bilmediği gezegen düştüğünde filikası, insan ırkına benzeyen garip bir kültürle tanışacak ve onlardan biri olabilmek için elinden geleni yapacaktır. Ama geçmişi ve görünüşü onu hep diğerlerinden ayıracak, uyum sağlamasını engelleyecektir. Acaba Morgan bu gezegende huzur bulacak mıdır?

Yazar, space opera türünde yazdığı eseri kurgularken bir çok sosyal dinamiği ve kültürü melezlemeye çalışmış. Nemet kültürü...more
James
This was the very first Cherryh book that I read. I had wanted to read Downbelow Station for a while but I couldn't get my hands on it. This was the only book available at my local library.

I started to read the book with some trepidation as I had not read much sci-fi at this point being a major fantasy freak. Very quickly I was drawn into the story as Cherryh weaves a rich and colourful world and characters. Having read many of her books since she excels at writing stories which have various rac...more
Joe
This isn't my cup of tea, but I like it anyway. I completely lost myself in this nice story. I was desperate for a story and had nothing on hand. I dug through a box of old books and found an old book club edition from my middle school years. This is fine story telling.
Kenny
This novel has a strong plot, strong POV character and an alien society with a deep background. Plot has human adapting to alien culture and participating in a grand political conflict.

Great description of galley warfare; based on ancient Greece? Highly Recommended.
Erik Graff
Aug 22, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cherryh fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I had occasionally picked up Cherryh's books for years, finding them often deeply discounted in used bookstores, but had been reluctant to read them for two reasons. First, so many were set within broader frameworks and I hadn't all the titles of such series. Second, if given a choice, I generally prefer relevant, near-future science fictions, stuff that is relevant to current trends and problems. When finally getting around to reading her, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of h...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
I started trying to read this and found myself thinking that I really couldn't get into it. Possibly because the author's description on her web site is a little too descriptive, and possibly because well, this book is over 30 years old and reads like it. And also possibly because ... the chunks of the timeline in this universe that contain Elene Quen and Ariane Emory are more interesting to me than the ones that don't.
Samuel
A story of two humans from opposing camps marooned on an alien world. C.J. Cherryh impresses with the world-building. (You can see how some of the ideas in this book flowed into her later works.) The impact of the alien culture on the protaganist and how he tries to cope rings true.
Mike Franklin
My first Cherryh and it was really quite good considering it was only her second book. I shall definitely read more of hers.
Jonathan
Some aliens are not very alien
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Ct2msb
Ct2msb marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
  • Black Star Rising (A Del Rey Book)
  • Wolfling
  • Earthclan
  • Uncharted Stars
  • Orn (Of Man and Manta, #2)
  • The Face (Demon Princes, #4)
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • Colossus
  • Hunters of the Red Moon
  • Child of Fortune
  • A Choice of Gods
  • An Alien Heat (Dancers at the End of Time, #1)
  • To the Stars (Omnibus)
  • Ars Magica
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...
Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Unionside, #2) The Pride of Chanur (Compact Space, #1) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)