Bodies From the Ash: Life and Death in Ancient Pompeii (Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12 (Awards))

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In ancient times, Pompeii was one of the largest cities in the Roman Empire. Its 20,000 inhabitants lived in the shadow of Vesuvius, which they believed was nothing more than a mountain. But Vesuvius was a volcano. And on the morning of August 24, A.D. 79, Vesuvius began to erupt. Within twenty-four hours, the entire city of Pompeii--and many of its citizens--had been utte...more
Published October 24th 2005 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 2005)

Annie Bastian
This book was on the ALA Best Book Nonfiction list. I would say this book is for students in the older elementary grades (5th&6th). The text is lengthy and the pictures of preserved bodies may be a little too graphic for any students younger than 5th grade.
Melissa
Great book for a 5th great project. Lots of interesting facts about the different excavations along with pictures of the sites and remains.

"In ancient times, Pompeii was one of the largest cities in the Roman Empire. Its 20,000 inhabitants lived in the shadow of Vesuvius, which they believed was nothing more than a mountain. But Vesuvius was a volcano. And on the morning of August 24, A.D. 79, Vesuvius began to erupt. Within twenty-four hours, the entire city of Pompeii--and many of its citizens...more
Kim
My kids picked this one out from a library shelf because about half a year ago we talked briefly about Pompeii and I showed them pictures online of the ruins. I'm shocked they're not freaked out by this but they seem to love this book, especially right before bed time (search me!!) (??). I love it too, I guess it's a kind of morbid curiosity for me but I love the educational element of it. Great info, great pictures, great book.
Elise
I read this after seeing the ruins of Pompeii myself in person. It's an interesting account of the excavations that occurred over the years, and different theories how the uncovered bodies may have died. Each person had a story to tell. It's a pretty fascinating book about the horrible death they suffered from the pyroclastic surges, their skeletons left preserved by the ash.
Melissa
3Q 3P M/J

The pictures are the best feature of this book. This book will probably appeal to any teen that is interested in the ruins of Pompeii and how they were preserved after so many years. The book makes some attempt at describing life in Ancient Pompeii but the book mainly focuses on how the bodies were preserved and how Pompeii is now.
Rebekah
Fascinating. I've always been intrigued by the story of Pompeii, and here is a book able to piece together all the events of its last 24 hours by taking molds from the empty pockets of earth where bodies used to lie. Incredible detail in the recovered body molds, puts you right there to sympathize. Not for all children, though.
Casey
Informational book about Pompeii, good for older students (5th grade). Many black and white photos that are a bit scary at times. Lots of information about the history and science of the volcanic explosion at Pompeii. Would be a nice text to have available for a report.
Kara

Never has it been made so clear that these were real people who lived and then, one horrible morning, died painfuly. The remains show all too clealry the pain and the frantic nature of the aborted escape as they tired to flee, and found only death.
Alyssa
Good for kids and teens, this book shows lots of pictures and gives interesting and informative details of the city of Pompeii during the eruption of Mt Vesuvius as well as the excavaction process used to uncover much of the city.
Brett
A brief overview of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius & the excavation of Pompeii with fascinating photos. Know your audience, though - some kids may find them upsetting.
Jan
Apr 02, 2007 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Teens fascinated by the story of Pompeii
Shelves: teenbooks
This is a fascinating look at what happened to the town of Pompeii on one fateful day in August, 79 AD when the sleeping volcano looming over the ancient city awoke.
Kendall Anne
I'm obsessed with Pompeii, and this book was outstanding! Amazing pictures, chilling stories, This book was so fascinating!!! I want to visit Pompeii someday!
Megan Bratton
Amazing photography of the remains of the people of Pompeii. I couldn't put it down! Lots of great information on what actually happened those two days.
Kelley
In 4th grade and beyond, I was totally obsessed with Pompeii. Can't wait to read this one! Loved it. Great introduction to the whole Mt. Vesuvius thang.
Alex
This was informative, interesting, and a quick read. It contained information I haven't found in other books on the same topic.
Angela
Jun 15, 2013 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bug
I love it when my kids enjoy reading non-fiction. This book has many pictures and is very informative.
Tyngsborough Middle
Very non-fiction-y! A good resource on Pompeii as well as the process of volcanic eruptions.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Great pictures! The author was born in Utica, where I work.
Jan Froehlich
Childrens book about Pompeii -- great pictures
Jeanne
5th/6th grade book talk for this year
Becky
Oct 17, 2007 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: kidbooks
Amazing and unexpected pictures.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Zack
Zack marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past 3 NBs of Julian Drew Faces from the Past: Forgotten People of North America Very Real Ghost Book of Christina Rose Bodies from the Bog