Start by marking “Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Homeland: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #1)

Homeland: The Graphic Novel (The Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  2,146 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The young prince of a royal house, Drizzt Do'Urden grows to maturity in the vile world of his dark kin. Possessing honor beyond the scope of his unprincipled society, young Drizzt faces an inevitable dilemma. Can he live in a world that rejects integrity?
Published October 11th 2005 by Devil's Due Publishing (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Homeland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homeland

Paul Nelson
The Salvatore series featuring the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden barring Lord of the Rings was the first fantasy series I read and continued with 20+ books and as a result is by far my favourite genre. The natural step as I have delved into graphic novels was to go back to the series that started it all and with Homeland I was far from disappointed.The story and the artwork really capture the essence of the Drow or Dark Elf culture, mainly deceit, deception and ruthlessness.

The story takes place in
Gautam Surath
I have maintained that Graphic novels are a good way to relive the books that you loved in a totally new format while at the same time recalling the key elements that may still be pertinent in the books to come. It turns out that if the graphic novel is done well it takes on a life of its own and that's truly the case with Homeland. Tim does great justice with the creation on Menzoberranzan in colour and we get lost in the the cruel lives of the Drow. Is it great to be back or what. HIghly recom ...more
Annemarie Donahue
HOLY COW! I'm crazy late to the table on this book, but let me say it again "HOLY COW!" was this a terrific graphic novel. For anyone out there who misses just good old D&D writing R.A. Salvatore (an alumnus of my uni!) This is the prequel to the adventures of Drizzt, a dark elf, with the ability to walk in daylight. Being born for the soul purpose of being sacrificed to the spider goddess, Drizzt is saved from death when his older brother kills the first boy of their house, house Do'Urden ( ...more
Timothy McNeil
Weak 3 stars.

The art was mostly good (with one poorly executed combat scene rendered unfathomable near the end), but not of sufficient quality to make the individual Drow identifiable with any regularity. The story...well, it solved the problem of wondering whether I wanted to read the novel version of the story. The answer is "no". It may because of the format, but it was formulaic even for D&D story. Not terrible, and not without something approaching nuance (which may be there in novel fo
Angel
Jan 31, 2009 Angel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Drizzt, D&D fans, fantasy readers
I will say first of all that I had not read Salvatore's Drizzt series before reading this, but it had been on my list of things to read down the road. A few friends had been recommending it. So, when I saw it graphic novel format, I just could not resist. It was definitely a great read, and I am now fired up to keep on reading. The characters in this first volume are complex, well developed. And when Drizzt finally learns who is his father, it practically reads like a good tragedy as they both f ...more
Bentley
I have given most of Salvatores' books 5 stars because of my love of his storytelling, while the story has not changed, i do not feel the artist did the justice of Salvatores' words. I would rather read the books and visualize over the graphic novel.

Still a great book to own, i have no regrets spending the money for this book!
Magila
Dark Elves. The idea that they vary so absolutely from their cousins is pretty interesting. I was pretty happy with my first introduction to Drizz't. Maybe a tad cartoony here and there to me, but apart from that there isn't much reason for compliant.

NB: I haven't read the novels yet.
Daniel
The novel upon which this is based, I read once and never read again. However, this graphic novel is enjoyable and develops the characters and world they reside in to create interest in the next graphic novels in the series.
Camem1996
The story starts in A big underground City Called menborozan, this is a city where the dark elves live. there are several big houses of familys in this where they are constinly trying to secrelty kill eachother so they can become one of the higher ranking houses. During one of these raids our Main Charactor is born Drizzt Do urden. He grows up like any other Dark elf but he has different thoughts about his race then all of the other dark elves but he tries to become like them till he just cant s ...more
Lisa Geddes
The artwork almost perfectly captured what i had envisioned while reading the novel.
Güneş Eser
drizzt comic series (: really great/
C
Loved it. My only complaint is: Drizzt has quite a chin. What kind of complaint is that? None. So therefore: it's great.

Recommended for folks who want to get the sidestory on Drizzt before jumping into other Salvatore books, or get an idea of the Drizzt fascination in nerd-land without committing to reading the bulk of the series.
Katrin
I don't really own the book, but the graphic novel was featured in a greek fantasy magazine and I found some of them on the flea market. I thus did not read the whole story, but what I did read, I really liked. It's nice to see the books visualized and it matches quite with what I imagined while reading the books.
Brenda
I have never read any novels by Salvatore, so I've never been in this world before. I really liked this as a graphic novel. I think it was a good medium for it. I will definitely be reading on.
Wayne
A decent adaptation of the book. The visuals help with the descriptions of some of the monsters. I'm not sure how well it stands on its own, without having read the book. I enjoyed it.
Chelsea
A decent adaptation of the novel, but leaves out minor details which is to be expected anyway. My only complaint is that I wish the art was better.
Dave
Good artwork with a matriarchal society deep in intrigue and rituals makes this stand out from other fantasy fare.
Andrew
I absolutely loved this adaptation of Homeland. They got it right and that's all the fans could ask for.
Matt
May 20, 2008 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves epic adventure fantasy
Shelves: epic-fantasy
i gave it only 4 stars due to the cutting out of what i thought to be important parts.
Angeles Broullón
Good artwork, and a pretty good adaptation.
Alisha
good depiction of the story.
David
Apr 26, 2007 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dorks
fantasy stuff... you know
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Justin Fair
Justin Fair is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Lizsawyer
Lizsawyer marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Elettra Damaggio
Elettra Damaggio marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight - The Graphic Novel (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • Reader's Guide to the Legend of Drizzt
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Magician: Apprentice, Volume 2
  • The City of Splendors (Forgotten Realms: The Cities, #4)
  • The Fractured Sky (Forgotten Realms: The Empyrean Odyssey, #2)
  • Dawn of Night (Forgotten Realms: Erevis Cale, #2)
  • Ascendancy of the Last (Lady Penitent #3)
  • Frostfell (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #4)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s most recent original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best- ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

The Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel (8 books)
  • Exile: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Sojourn: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #4)
  • Streams of Silver: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #6)
  • The Legacy: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #7)
  • Starless Night: The Graphic Novel (Legend of Drizzt: The Graphic Novel, #8)
Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1) Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2) Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3) The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4) The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)