Start by marking “Point of Departure” as Want to Read:
Point of Departure

Point of Departure

A classic 1967 memoir by one of the great journalists of the 20th century, Point of Departure collects James Cameron's eyewitness accounts of the atom bomb tests at Bikini atoll, the Chinese invasion of Tibet and the war in Korea, and vivid evocations of Mao Tse-Tung, Winston Churchill, and many others. Cameron, who was born in London in 1911, began his career in newspaper ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Granta UK (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Point of Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point of Departure

Sometimes James Cameron annoys me in his writing. I remember him quite well as a child (he and his wife were friends of my parents) and he was a likeable somewhat dogmatic leftwing cove but a gentleman and with a genuine passion for doing and saying what he believed to be right, a quality which he shared with the late Christopher Hitchens. I much prefer this generation of journalists and reporters, often wrong headed maybe but always trying to do the right thing, caring for the truth more than f ...more
Jun 12, 2014 Tommy rated it really liked it
This book is a nice look at the "golden-age" of journalism when correspondents hopped around the globe to exotic places, drank in bars with interesting characters, and formed the opinions of masses back home. I like how he took this role seriously and was more interested on reporting what he believed morally correct instead of insisting on portraying both sides of everything as if they hold equal ground. This is precisely why the press is irrelevant today. People don't want to have to go fact-ch ...more
Aug 18, 2007 Martin rated it really liked it
James Cameron, who died in 1985, was one of the best British foreign correspondents.
My favorite story about him is that he used to insert the phrase "...and a mad bugler rode past on a white horse..." somewhere low down in his copy before filing (usually by telex in those days), hoping that one day a sub-editor back home would miss it and allow it into the newspaper. To his regret, they always caught it.
Feb 12, 2013 Sitatunga rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biog, africa, travel, journos
This was the book my English teacher Ferdie Keon - (who could forget him?) - lent me in order to inspire me to write .... well, it hasn't worked so far (bado kidogo) but the book is still on my shelf (my own copy, I hasten to add!). The description of the detonation at Bikini Atoll is famous; it really hit home (no pun intended) at the time ... also the description of Tabora as the rock-bottom fundament of the world.
P. W. Lapwing
Jan 24, 2011 P. W. Lapwing rated it it was amazing
Although written it what may now seem an old fashioned style, the book recounts a full and fascinating life. Given the current situation in Korea, the author's account of his first hand experiences in the Korean War are particularly illuminating.
Aug 16, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Mid 4. This is a perfect illustration of incise, truthful, war reporting which reveals Cameron to have been one of the most distinctive voices within the ranks of international correspondents at the height of the war in Indo-China. First-rate.
Rob Bailey
Jul 22, 2012 Rob Bailey rated it it was amazing
At times densely written, but it's an absorbing account of the life of a journalist who had a front row seat for many of the landmark moments of the 20th century. Highlights are his accounts of Korea, the atom bomb tests at Bikini Atoll and Vietnam.
Oct 03, 2014 John rated it it was amazing
Spectacularly insightful. Witty and self-deprecating, by far the best autobiography I have ever read.
Jul 17, 2012 Pippa rated it it was amazing
Some very important, and very well written reporting here, from some of the most crucial events of the 20th century.
Gordon Love
Gordon Love rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Marie Lindstrom
Marie Lindstrom rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Alice rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
John rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Paul Draper
Paul Draper rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Richard Currie
Richard Currie rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Tim Evans
Tim Evans rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Joanna Herat
Joanna Herat rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Philip Sim
Philip Sim rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Tara rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2009
Jackie Luke
Jackie Luke rated it it was ok
May 19, 2013
Nadia rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2012
Douglas Smith
Douglas Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Sean MacGuffin
Sean MacGuffin rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Denis rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
yasekabood rated it it was ok
Sep 15, 2007
Tracy Green
Tracy Green rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Aug 14, 2007 Ridley rated it it was amazing
I don't know many journalists who care to write this well today.
Sophia rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2013
Julie Fisher
Julie Fisher rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013

James Cameron was born in London in 1911. After leaving school he worked as an office boy for the Weekly News. He worked for newspapers in Dundee and Glasgow before joining the Daily Express in 1940.

Cameron witnessed atom bomb tests in 1946. Shocked by what he saw he became
More about James Cameron...