Start by marking “Point of Departure” as Want to Read:
Point of Departure

Point of Departure

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A classic 1967 memoir by one of the great journalists of the 20th century, Point of Departure collects James Cameron's eyewitness accounts of the atom bomb tests at Bikini atoll, the Chinese invasion of Tibet and the war in Korea, and vivid evocations of Mao Tse-Tung, Winston Churchill, and many others. Cameron, who was born in London in 1911, began his career in newspaper ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Granta UK (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Point of Departure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point of Departure

Sometimes James Cameron annoys me in his writing. I remember him quite well as a child (he and his wife were friends of my parents) and he was a likeable somewhat dogmatic leftwing cove but a gentleman and with a genuine passion for doing and saying what he believed to be right, a quality which he shared with the late Christopher Hitchens. I much prefer this generation of journalists and reporters, often wrong headed maybe but always trying to do the right thing, caring for the truth more than f ...more
This book is a nice look at the "golden-age" of journalism when correspondents hopped around the globe to exotic places, drank in bars with interesting characters, and formed the opinions of masses back home. I like how he took this role seriously and was more interested on reporting what he believed morally correct instead of insisting on portraying both sides of everything as if they hold equal ground. This is precisely why the press is irrelevant today. People don't want to have to go fact-ch ...more
James Cameron, who died in 1985, was one of the best British foreign correspondents.
My favorite story about him is that he used to insert the phrase "...and a mad bugler rode past on a white horse..." somewhere low down in his copy before filing (usually by telex in those days), hoping that one day a sub-editor back home would miss it and allow it into the newspaper. To his regret, they always caught it.
Spectacularly insightful. Witty and self-deprecating, by far the best autobiography I have ever read.
This was the book my English teacher Ferdie Keon - (who could forget him?) - lent me in order to inspire me to write .... well, it hasn't worked so far (bado kidogo) but the book is still on my shelf (my own copy, I hasten to add!). The description of the detonation at Bikini Atoll is famous; it really hit home (no pun intended) at the time ... also the description of Tabora as the rock-bottom fundament of the world.
P. W. Lapwing
Although written it what may now seem an old fashioned style, the book recounts a full and fascinating life. Given the current situation in Korea, the author's account of his first hand experiences in the Korean War are particularly illuminating.
Mid 4. This is a perfect illustration of incise, truthful, war reporting which reveals Cameron to have been one of the most distinctive voices within the ranks of international correspondents at the height of the war in Indo-China. First-rate.
Rob Bailey
At times densely written, but it's an absorbing account of the life of a journalist who had a front row seat for many of the landmark moments of the 20th century. Highlights are his accounts of Korea, the atom bomb tests at Bikini Atoll and Vietnam.
Some very important, and very well written reporting here, from some of the most crucial events of the 20th century.
I don't know many journalists who care to write this well today.
Matt Mccoy
Matt Mccoy marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Graeme Roberts
Graeme Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Ferran Moreno
Ferran Moreno marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Inbo Shim
Inbo Shim marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Daria Krylova
Daria Krylova marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Graham Kilmer
Graham Kilmer marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Chad Skidmore
Chad Skidmore marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Robert Pate
Robert Pate marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
MatejaNoel marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Kira marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Britt Seegers
Britt Seegers marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Derek marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Barbara Bauer
Barbara Bauer marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

James Cameron was born in London in 1911. After leaving school he worked as an office boy for the Weekly News. He worked for newspapers in Dundee and Glasgow before joining the Daily Express in 1940.

Cameron witnessed atom bomb tests in 1946. Shocked by what he saw he became
More about James Cameron...