Start by marking “Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Popcorn Days and Butte...

Gary Paulsen

Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Carley recalls the extraordinary summer when, as a troubled fourteen-year-old, he first came to northern Minnesota to stay with his blacksmith Uncle David and gained not only new skills but also a new sense of himself.
Published August 30th 1983 by Dutton Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights

Corinna
Feb 22, 2011 Corinna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my son's summer reading book in 2010. He was griping about reading it and I decided to read it as well, as a show of solidarity and also to hopefully find some way to encourage him to get through the slow parts.

I enjoyed some aspects of this book - some of the stories about country life, the way that Carly's environment shaped his thoughts and actions, the characters. Much of that was well done. I could also see how my upcoming 6th grader was having a hard time feeling at all excited a
Trevor Neidlinger
Dec 05, 2014 Trevor Neidlinger rated it liked it
This book was very entertaining and always kept me in to the book. It was very well written and I could see everything the author was writing. Also, it was neat to be able to learn about the little things in life that you don't really look for. In the book you learn a lot of good life lessons. For instance, when they didn't have any money David used other ways to make sure his family was happy. It shows that money isn't everything and as long as you have family in your life you can be happy.

It w
Luke Powers
Jun 24, 2016 Luke Powers rated it really liked it
I liked this kids chapter book quite a bit. The themes resonated with me. While I'd like to think a modern city kid could get something out of the book, I'm afraid it just wouldn't appeal to today's youth. It deals with themes of poverty, hard work, caring for one's neighbor, dependence on one another, and creating something from nothing. The inherent satisfaction in these things is hard for most folks to understand.

I initially chose this title because I was looking for a short audio book for m
NoOnesNME
I try choosing short Audio Books usually 6 CD's at the most this one was 3. This book was good because of the narrator's Norwegian Accent. The story was cool too, but my favorite was how the author vividly described everything I could actually imagine working as a blacksmith, making horseshoes and fixing tools.
Mariana
Nov 23, 2009 Mariana rated it really liked it
I did actually enjoy this book. It is filled with how different cities and rich people are, to countrey poor people are. I could tell it was deffinetly written for kids, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Lindsey
Sep 10, 2012 Lindsey rated it liked it
An interesting, short novel. Great for tween and adolescents, especially boys. Really like Paulsen's writing style, his imagery, and his injection of emotion without being overbearing.
Nadene
Aug 03, 2012 Nadene rated it it was amazing
This was a great YA read aloud or alone. Sweet story takes place in 40-50's in the country. A young delinquent is sent to the counry to reform, but finds a whole new life. Coming of age.
Kim
Dec 16, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, but then, I am a bit biased, having Norwegian ancestry. A carefully nuanced story, simple but heartening.
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 Valerie rated it did not like it
This is my summer reading book and I think that it is horrible. Don't read it.
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Lorena Medius
Lorena Medius marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Maureen
Maureen rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Din
Din rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Rachel Sharp
Rachel Sharp marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Sharron
Sharron rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Xavier Todd
Xavier Todd rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ben Stoker
Ben Stoker marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Iryll Patingo
Iryll Patingo rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Emily Mulcahy
Emily Mulcahy marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
AJ Groome
AJ Groome marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Tristen
Tristen marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...