Start by marking “Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Popcorn Days and Butte...

Gary Paulsen

Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Carley recalls the extraordinary summer when, as a troubled fourteen-year-old, he first came to northern Minnesota to stay with his blacksmith Uncle David and gained not only new skills but also a new sense of himself.
Published August 30th 1983 by Dutton Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Popcorn Days and Buttermilk Nights

Corinna
This was my son's summer reading book in 2010. He was griping about reading it and I decided to read it as well, as a show of solidarity and also to hopefully find some way to encourage him to get through the slow parts.

I enjoyed some aspects of this book - some of the stories about country life, the way that Carly's environment shaped his thoughts and actions, the characters. Much of that was well done. I could also see how my upcoming 6th grader was having a hard time feeling at all excited a
Trevor Neidlinger
This book was very entertaining and always kept me in to the book. It was very well written and I could see everything the author was writing. Also, it was neat to be able to learn about the little things in life that you don't really look for. In the book you learn a lot of good life lessons. For instance, when they didn't have any money David used other ways to make sure his family was happy. It shows that money isn't everything and as long as you have family in your life you can be happy.

It w
NoOnesNME
I try choosing short Audio Books usually 6 CD's at the most this one was 3. This book was good because of the narrator's Norwegian Accent. The story was cool too, but my favorite was how the author vividly described everything I could actually imagine working as a blacksmith, making horseshoes and fixing tools.
Mariana
I did actually enjoy this book. It is filled with how different cities and rich people are, to countrey poor people are. I could tell it was deffinetly written for kids, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Lindsey
An interesting, short novel. Great for tween and adolescents, especially boys. Really like Paulsen's writing style, his imagery, and his injection of emotion without being overbearing.
Nadene
This was a great YA read aloud or alone. Sweet story takes place in 40-50's in the country. A young delinquent is sent to the counry to reform, but finds a whole new life. Coming of age.
Kim
Loved this one, but then, I am a bit biased, having Norwegian ancestry. A carefully nuanced story, simple but heartening.
Valerie
This is my summer reading book and I think that it is horrible. Don't read it.
Bookworm15
Bookworm15 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Bernadette Chavez
Bernadette Chavez marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Nov 13, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Mandy Casto
Mandy Casto marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Laynah
Laynah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)