Start by marking “Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers” as Want to Read:
Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers

Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Minnesota author and dog musher Gary Paulsen reflects on the growth of his sled dogs as he and his animals discover the world around them.
Published January 12th 1998 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers

Dniemuth04
This book was a good story on a team of sled dogs that race in the Iditarod Trial. On this team is a vast array of smart dogs all lead by an alpha female named Cookie. She has been leading the team for many years and provides great young puppies that are bred to be leaders. Cookie is very valuable and has saved Paulsen’s life on several separate occasions. The skilled litter that Cookie produces plays a vital role in how the other sled team members can train the young pups. The pups are wild an ...more
Joey
I thought "Puppies Dogs and Blue Northers was a really good book. I don't normally like to read books, but this one wasn't bad for me. This book was interesting because of all the events that took place. It was cool to learn more about sled dogs.

There was a lot of snow there and you had to get from place to place somehow. Gary didn't like to use snowmobiles, so he had a team of sled dogs. They can get going pretty fast if you don't have a lot of weight on the sled. He thought using his sled dogs
Jacob
In "Puppies, Dogs, And Blue Northers" the author, Gary Paulsen, is telling a story about his life. He explains that he lives in northern Minnesota, in a small house with his wife, Ruth, and son, Jim. They have electricity but they don't have a television. In their small house the only heat source that they have is a woodstove. Paulsen explains that he is usually the first one to wake up, and is consequently the person who has to get the morning fire started. He then explains about his dog kennel ...more
Sheriden Haase
Dec 09, 2014 Sheriden Haase is currently reading it
This book is very easy to read. The story is highlighted by Gary's lead dog Cookie paving the bumpy way to the Iditarod. I did not connect to his book much because I do not have sled dogs. This book will show harsh of the living with 40 crazy dogs and feet of snow.
Cookie is Gary's Paulsen's best friend, Cookie has saved Gary's life in many incidents. Cookie soon had to quit running and so did Gary. Gary sold the highly trained dogs but kept Cookie. Cookie soon died and so did Gary's ego. I re
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Bri P. for TeensReadToo.com

A dog is man's best friend, right? He is when it comes to Cookie, and Gary Paulsen reflects on the wonderful friendship they shared.

Cookie is the lead dog on Gary's team of sled dogs and has been for a very long time. Gary and Cookie have traveled a lot of trails together. They have even competed in the Iditarod. Cookie has given birth to many puppies but always goes back to work. You might call Cookie a working mother.

In PUPPIES, DOGS, AND BLUE NORTHERS,
Tara Piña
Gary Paulsen reflects on his favorite sled dog Cookie. He tells stories of her and her last litter of puppies. As he shares these stories, he comes to the conclusion that the dogs were like people too; and most importantly, they taught him more than he taught them.

I liked the conclusions that Paulsen came to. As an animal lover, it was a good reminder of special pets are in our lives. I would have liked to see some of the reflecting and insight that he expressed in the middle of the book restat
Jessica
I've always liked what Gary Paulsen has written. It was a dog book so I should have known it was somehow going to be a cry book. It always hits my heart so hard. I love you, Cookie. The sketches are fabulous!

Why did you have to put the dogs mating chapter in your face first, Gary Paulsen? Most kids will not understand this scene as you described it and now the book will be dropped from many kids libraries because of it. A good book describing the joys of puppy life.
Gary Paulsen is defined by the wilderness, hard times, and his dogs. It is with his dogs that Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers is concerned. In this we read primarily of his beautiful lead dog Cookie and her many pups, races, and quirks.

It is an endearing story, highlighted by Cookie’s own intelligent character and enlivened by the darling shenanigans of her litters. Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers is a testament to the affection that Paulsen felt towards his dogs – love and amusement oozes out
Frances
Engaging, with great insight into the non-racing side (kennel life) of raising sled dogs. The first chapter opens with Gary witnessing two of his dogs mating while out on the trail-- may be an off-putter for some people, but the emotions in the book are raw and true. We learn about the habits of the 40+ dogs, how they interact and train their puppies and work with Gary. He describes one litter of puppies that they let in the house every morning, with disastrous and hilarious consequences. Some o ...more
Luann
Another autobiographical dog book by Gary Paulsen that will make you both laugh and cry. This one is all about Cookie, the dog he dedicated My Life in Dog Years to. I think I didn't initially connect as much with this book because I don't know much about sled dogs. In fact, nearly everything I know about sled dogs, I've learned from Gary Paulsen's books. But once he started telling stories about Cookie's puppies, I was hooked. 4.5 stars.
Wendy
I loved this book as much as I loved 'Winterdance'! Love, love, LOVE!
Amy
Jun 27, 2012 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dog lovers, nature lovers
This is only 67 pages long and since it is written by Gary Paulsen, I thought it was definitely a children's book but I was wrong. Reading this, I thought at times that Paulsen loved his leader sled dog, Cookie, more than any members of his family, including his wife. Certainly in Cookie's last years they spent more time together, virtually every minute. Paulsen writes with sincerity, humor, admiration and compassion about his sled dogs and especially Cookie. It took him years to realize that he ...more
Elise
I really liked this book, although I wish it was longer... It was a great story!
Brittany
Jul 16, 2011 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who like dogs and adventure
Shelves: childrens-books
In general, I really like Paulsen's survival stories - Hatchet, Brian's Return, Brian's Winter...and so on. This was a fun look at raising puppies and maintaining a kennel of sled dogs used to running in extremely harsh winters. It's about Paulsen and his dogs (most importantly Cookie) after the first Iditarod but before he knew he couldn't do a second. It's very short, and one of the recountings in particular is worth reading the whole thing for. Plus, if you're an animal lover, it's a win-win ...more
Emily
Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers by Gary Paulsen
Genre: Nonfiction
Paulsen describes life in Minnesota and his love of the Iditarod. It also stars his lead dog, Cookie, who has a big personality. He talks about the pups also and how they learn, and act. Has some touching moments and some hilarious moments, but it is, afterall, nonfiction.
Not the most engaging nonfiction I have ever read, but definitely a top pick for animal/dog lovers. I would recommend to ages 10 and up.
Andrea
So good! It is a good book for kids, and for adults it is a terrific addition/appendix to Paulsen's book Winterdance. In Winderdance, Paulsen talks about beginning to get serious about dogsledding, and then about running his first Iditarod. His lead dog through all that was Cookie, and this small book is all about her - about her last litter of puppies, and their relationship after the sledding was over. Paulsen is just great at observing details, and is very funny.
Dayna Smith
Paulsen is the author of Hatchet and the other "Brian" books. This is a nonfiction tale of his experiences with his sled dogs. He relates his memories of Cookie, his long time friend and lead dog. We hear of his love and care for Cookie and watch her last litter of puppies become experienced sled dogs. Paulsen is an experienced Iditarod racer and this book is every bit as enjoyable as his fictional works.
The Reading Countess
This is a poignant tale of one man's love for a dog told as no one other than the great Paulsen can. Brilliantly detailing the last years of his beloved race dog, Cookie's life with him, Gary Paulsen describes in the most minute detail how it is to live in synchronisty with nature. A reverance for all creatures great and small oozes in this brief 80-page tear jerker. I loved it.
Melanie
If I were more of a dog person, I might have liked this better. It is a sweet story based on the authors experiences with his most beloved sled dog. The first two chapters talk about mating, conception, and birth of a liter of puppies. If you read it with young children, be ready to answer all kinds of questions. :)
George
This is technically a book for "young adults." I must still be young, for this short, beautiful read is more adult than most of our so-called entertainments. This book is a gorgeous mediation on the power of the animal world and what it's like to be "raised" by a pack of dogs in a domestic setting.
Definitely a cute, sentimental and moving little book. I laughed out loud reading about the puppy invasion -- can't even imagine what that must have looked like! I'm very fond of other people's dogs (don't want any of my own) and always enjoy reading about them.
Twyla
Joan Stelter
Gary Paulsen's autobiography is like his books full of interest and well written. I never knew that he raised sled dogs and participated in several Iditarods. It makes me wonder how he had time to write so many books.
Nichole Ponzer
In general, I'm not as crazy about Gary Paulsen as most teachers...but this memoir/essay was written with heart, while still keeping that element of action and adventure that hooks most Paulsen fans. I'd definitely recommend it!
CD
Great middle school book. It is the story of Mr. Paulsen's best dog Cookie. If you like dogs, this is a must read. If you want to know more about dog sledding and what drives the mushers and dogs, this is the book.
Janelle
he has a wonderful way of showing that extra special relationship you sometimes have with that one special soul-mate "heart dog" and I re-read the part where he sys goodbye to Cookie whenever I miss mine.
Diana
I didn't know Gary Paulsen had sled dogs (although from his subject matter, I really should have figured). An interesting viewpoint about his team of dogs-- light reading, about junior high school level.
GraceAnne
I am so not a dog person, and even less a cat person, as I am deathly allergic to cats. But this terrific evocation of Cookie, a lead dog and friend of Paulsen, is simply, utterly wonderful.
So, my 7th grader came home with this book for summer reading .. since she was NOT interested in reading it at all .. I figure it must be a good book. We will see!
Boqin Zhang
I think this is a really cool and sad book about a dog name cookie and her owner.The dog went through a lot of adventers with her owner but in the end cookie died.
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers 1 3 Jun 14, 2013 10:09PM
  • Balto and the Great Race
  • Little Polar Bear
  • Akiak: A Tale From the Iditarod
  • Race Across Alaska: First Woman to Win the Iditarod Tells Her Story
  • Home for Christmas
  • Here We All Are (26 Fairmount Avenue, #2)
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Living Color
  • Action Jackson
  • In Search of Small Gods
  • It's the First Day of School...Forever!
  • The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane
  • Tornado
  • Maddie on Things: A Super Serious Project About Dogs and Physics
  • Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine, The
  • The Hidden Life of Dogs
  • Stickeen: John Muir and the Brave Little Dog
  • The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)