Start by marking “Sanctified and Chicken-Fried: The Portable Lansdale” as Want to Read:
Sanctified and Chicken-Fried: The Portable Lansdale

Sanctified and Chicken-Fried: The Portable Lansdale

Master of mojo storytelling, spinner of over-the-top yarns of horror, suspense, humor, mystery, science fiction, and even the Old West, Joe R. Lansdale has attracted a wide and enthusiastic following. His genre-defying work has brought him numerous awards, including the Grand Master of Horror from the World Horror Convention, the Edgar Award, the American Horror Award, ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 250 pages
Published March 1st 2009 by University of Texas Press

To ask other readers questions about Sanctified and Chicken-Fried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctified and Chicken-Fried

Dan Schwent
Jul 05, 2012 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Sanctified and Chicken-Fried is a collection of Joe R. Lansdale short stories. The cover says The Portable Lansdale. I guess that's true since this is a best-of collection.

The stories are a combination of old favorites, like Bubba Hotep and Mr. Weedeater, new stories like the Dust Devils, and excerpts from two of Lansdale's novels, the Magic Wagon and A Fine Dark Line. The short stories are great. Rather than review them all, I'll tell you about Mr. Weedeater.

Mr. Weedeater has been my favorite L
Kirk Smith
Mar 09, 2015 Kirk Smith rated it really liked it
Joe Lansdale's writing style and phenomenal storytelling is some of the most EXTREME literature you will find. He is a master of a half dozen genres, all with ample amounts of shock value and seldom stopping short of being OFFENSIVE. He does have a sense of humor and he keeps a lot of focus on racial inequality. That is the positive viewpoint, to harsher critics it may seem sexist and racist. It's about producing the most gritty and shocking short stories, ever. Fans of Feast of Snakes by Harry ...more
Tim Niland
May 18, 2009 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Subtitled "The Portable Lansdale" this is a sample of his work, drawing on mystery, science fiction and horror. If there's a theme that runs through this collection of short stories it is most likely racial intolerance,as many of the stories deal with prejudice. "The Big Blow" imagines what would happen if legendary black heavyweight champion Jack Johnson had to fight a white challenger during the infamous Galveston hurricane of 1900. "The Pit" sees two men, one black and one white forced to ...more
Gretchen
Feb 09, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Definitely not for the easily offended.

Joe R. Lansdale must be about the most politically incorrect writer of our times; but with a wince and a groan and a cringe at the crudeness of it all, you've also got to admit it's great writing and even greater storytelling. Bubba Ho-Tep is in this collection, but it turned out my favorite was White Mule, Spotted Pig.

You've probably never read stories like this before. Here's your chance.
Lori
Nov 10, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009november
I'm a tad afraid to admit I loved my first taste of Joe R. Lansdale. Does that make me a bigot? A misanthrope? Or just weird?

The short stories are in turn fascinating and appalling, with the balance falling just one side of that line (and often tipped a little the wrong way). They're strange and unique and a little horrifyingly beautiful.

I'll be back for more.
David
Jul 07, 2009 David marked it as to-read
Joe Lansdale is on a book tour to promote Vanilla Ride, but I haven't read any of his previous books in the series and so chose to start here instead.
Alexis
Apr 08, 2010 Alexis rated it liked it
Some of the stories here are just so gross and disturbing. I wanted to stop reading them but was compelled to keep reading. The final story is the best, I think.
Clyde
Clyde rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Umberto
Umberto rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Crystal
Crystal rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Jared
Jared rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Craig Childs
Craig Childs rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2010
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2012
Klara
Klara rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Razorhack
Razorhack rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Erik
Erik rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2009
Rick
Rick rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2009
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2009
Joe Chamberlain
Joe Chamberlain rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Michael Spadaro
Michael Spadaro rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Wayne Benton
Wayne Benton rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Damon
Damon rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Steve Lowe
Steve Lowe rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...