Tripoint (Company Wars, #6)

Tripoint (Company Wars #6)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  745 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Merchanter Cargo Chief Marie Hawkins has never forgiven the crime, nor sought justice. Only vengeance. And, for 23 years, the Hawkins's clan ship, Sprite, has lived with her vendetta - and with her son, Tom, the boy sired in the violent assault.

Marie's attacker, Austin Bowe, is captain of the Corinthian. When both ships dock at Mariner Station, Marie vanishes and Tom searc

Published August 1st 1995 by Aspect (first published October 26th 1983)

Casey
Tripoint is heavy with family dynamics. The focus is on a mother and son, Marie Hawkins and Thomas Bowe-Hawkins. Years ago, Marie was raped by Austin Bowe, and she bore his son, Tom. There was never a clear reason as to why Marie decided to have the child. She never acted much like a mother, abandoning Tom and shunning motherly love to focus on her reckless, unhealthy obsession of getting revenge on Austin.

Tom carries the burden of being unwanted as well as being an outcast on his family's ship,...more
Nathan Trachta
With Ms. Cherryh coming out with a new book (Betrayer) I decided it was time to return to some of her earlier books to set my mood right. Because her Alliance/Union series has been a favorite of mine and I haven’t read Tripoint in awhile it became the book to set me in the mood.

Tripoint follows a theme that’s common for many of Ms. Cherryh’s books, looking at people who aren’t accepted within their environment and finding acceptance in another. In Tripoint Thomas Bowe-Hawkins is the child of rap...more
Wesley
'Tripoint' is the 6th novel in CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars' series. Tom Bowe-Hawkins is the son of his ship's cargo chief and his conception was marred by accusations of sexual assault. Raised by an angry and emotionally scarred mother named Marie, Tom is the outcast on a tightly-knit Family merchanter vessel, 'Sprite.' When 'Sprite' docks at Viking station, it's discovered that 'Corinthian', the ship captained by Marie's accused rapist, is also in dock and Marie is out for revenge. When Tom atte...more
retroj
I was not enjoying this book very much up to about the halfway point — too much melodrama, and I wanted to whap the main character upside the head for being a dumbass — but then the story took a turn that I hadn't expected, and it started getting a lot more interesting, and kept on getting more interesting right through to the end. The hard sci-fi elements in this series have gotten steadily better with each book since Downbelow Station, and we're getting a lot more insight into what it is like...more
Gary Baker
Another book from my 'Dear Lord, I really must read that one of these years' shelf.

It's a space opera. And by that I mean it has people in spaceships whizzing about through hyper-space in a far flung future. Spaceships aside, it's more about how parents can really screw up their kids by using them as a free sherpa for all their personal baggage.

It's a good read, excellent characters and very entertaining. I really enjoy her style and liked ninety-five percent of the plot. Though I think it's pro...more
Bronwen Stair
totally dysfunctional families in space.
Louiz
This story of a merchanter boy who is scapegoated by his Family as he is the result of his mother having been raped. Once he is inadvertently kidnapped by his father's ship, he discovers that that is not the way he has to be.

CJ Cherryh also provides a lot more detail about jump, and how it affects people, although I think it is one of the few books where a navigator actually appears.

Having been reading the books in order, I can see that this is also showing the policy of chasing the Mazianni sup...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Worth reading if you want to see what's happening in certain populations after Downbelow Station, and to see brief cameos by major characters from that book.
Ken McDouall
Cherryh again proves her talent for creating compelling characters. No spectacular action or plotting, but the relationships between her characters build the tension in this story of conflicting perspectives on a vendetta between two merchant ship officers.
James Gillett
Far and away my favorite book in the merchanter series.

Possibly my favorite sci-fi book of all time.
Murray Writtle
Great characterization and the ultimate secret to how the Alliance survived their apparent loss of the initial war with the nascent Union. The conclusion is a dangling thread Cherryh has yet to develop on.
'stina
Another of the Cherryh books that I read in January 2007. Very good, indeed. I like how she examines different parts of the universe she's created, so as to make it much more complete.
Jo Rhett
I just finished re-reading this tonight. Oy! This is C.J. Cherryh at her very best. It's fast, it's intense, it's immediate and very personal.
Julie
Dec 12, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Julie by: D's fault for getting me into C.J. Cherryh
I don't remember much more of this than the cover. I remember getting it out of the library and reading it amidst my C.J. Cherryh kick.
Isblue
Cherryh is a superb world-builder. I wish I remembered more about this particular book. I need to re-read this series.
Katya
Katya is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Lance Vanovermeiren
Lance Vanovermeiren marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Helen  McBamf
Helen McBamf marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Onze
Onze marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
John Holst
John Holst marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
  • Dreamships
  • Dreamfall (Cat, #3)
  • Homecoming: Harmony (Omnibus) (Homecoming Saga, #1-3)
  • Firestar (Firestar, #1)
  • Earthclan
  • Hunted (Expendables, #3)
  • Involution Ocean
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • Children No More
  • A Choice of Gods
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • Terminal Café
  • Plan B (Liaden Universe, #11)
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...
Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Unionside, #2) The Pride of Chanur (Compact Space, #1) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)