Start by marking “Lilus Kikus and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Lilus Kikus and Other Stories

Lilus Kikus and Other Stories

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Elena Poniatowska is recognized today as one of Mexico's greatest writers. Lilus Kikus, published in 1954, was her first book. However, it was labeled a children's book because it had a young girl as protagonist, it included illustrations, and the author was an unknown woman. Lilus Kikus has not received the critical attention or a translation into English it deserved, unt

Published October 31st 2005 by University of New Mexico Press (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Lilus Kikus and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilus Kikus and Other Stories

Mariel
Aug 11, 2013 Mariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: who had come down to her soul in a little elevator
Recommended to Mariel by: Leonora Carrington
Through the fog of her illness, Lilus sees many women pass, stiff and moralistic, with black letters on their chests and backs that say, "Prohibited, Prohibited," and who threaten her with expulsion from the organization Flowering Souls. Lilus feels enclosed and imprisoned.

A train that is happy for some, sad for others stomps through their beds like he's Godzilla. Not stopping to smell anything, smile anything, bringing Lilus to the convent school. God speed to God fearing. All of the things s
Julia
5 deconstructing stars.

Lilus Kikus by Elena Poniatowksa, on the surface level, is about a young girl and her adventures as she grows up. This book was first published in 1954 erroneously as a child’s novel due to the age of the protagonist (although her age is never clearly defined) and the simplistic writing style. However, Lilus Kikus is bursting at the seams with a feminist and anti-patriarchal agenda.

As a modern reader, the evidence of this book’s agenda is so apparently and blunt that the
Hortense
This little book was a whole evening's entertainment. The edition to which I acquiesced had drawings of Lenora Carrington. I wanted to keep the book, I really did. I was in covet mode. But there was a break-in in my room and numerous items were missing when I came to. An exhaustive accounting has so far been avoided.

There was a sea horse revolution in my room. They stole my glass sea horse as well as other dearly mocked valuables. The violet wind was strong in the night and I must not have hear
Magnolia Blanca
De mi amada infancia, que estos libros hicieron mejor...
Jenny
Vanessa
I liked all her spirit, curiosity and originality when she is little. How she sees the world as an interlinked universe that all is alive!!! How beautiful to see the simplicity yet the most important truth.... Feeling is more important that knoweldge, because knowledge is nothing without feeling.
But when religion gets in the way it smothers and finally kills her true spirit, so Lilus Kikus learns to follow signs and live in fear.
Point ...RELIGION = KILLING YOUR TRUE SELF TO BE A SLAVE MOVED BY
Guillermo
Bello, simple y tierno. Parece una mañana fresca de primavera con olor a jabón de flores.
Elena Delos (EscribadeAvalon)
No es un mal relato, sólo que no era para mí... definitivamente.
Ady Reyes
Libro de cuentos cortos infantiles. Lindo.
César Salazar
Algunos fragmentos de este libro venían en los libros de texto de español de primaria (por el año 2000, creo), específicamente los capítulos 8 y 10. En ese tiempo me dejaron un poco intrigado por saber qué seguía, por saber más de Lilus Kikus. Hasta hoy fue que encontré el libro y si bien no es un libro de 5 estrellas tiene algunas partes bastante buenas. Además, me hizo recordar viejos y bueno tiempos. Gracias a esos libros fue que empecé a leer.
Silvia
I enjoyed reading Lilus Kikus, knowing that it was one of the first books published in Mexico by a feminist writers.
Lilus is a curious and hilarious character who critiques the adult world through the eyes of gutsy girl.
J.
Cute book; makes social commentaries, as seen from the eyes of an innocent pre-adolescent girl. For the most part, the impressions in the book seemed fake: more like what an adult would imagine a little girl to say.
Stella
Qué bonitos recuerdos de la infancia!
Y no fue hasta que crecí que pude pronunciar correctamente el apellido de la autora!! :)
Alejandradavilah
Una visión infantil del mundo, llena de la magia, la inocencia y la simplicidad con la que se prciben las cosas a esa edad.
Luis Yllescas
"Nadie ha dicho jamás que la Santísima Virgen supiera griego o latín."
Dianita Zombita
my favourite book n.n
Gaby
Jun 30, 2009 Gaby added it
good one
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Elsa
Elsa added it
Apr 04, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
  • Running a Thousand Miles for Freedom: The Escape of William and Ellen Craft from Slavery
  • Canek
  • Sofía de los presagios
  • El espejo enterrado
  • Lo que sé de los hombrecillos
  • My Phantom Husband
  • Te llamaré Viernes
  • Dublinesque
  • House of Fear
  • Éste que ves
  • No me esperen en abril
  • The Garden Next Door: A Novel
  • Diary of Andrés Fava
  • La historia de mis dientes
  • Instrucciones para vivir en México
  • El corazón del tártaro
  • Mexico Barbaro/ Barbarous Mexico (Spanish Edition)
Elena Poniatowska was born on May 19, 1933, in Paris, France. Her father was French of Polish ancestry and her mother a Mexican who was raised in France. When she was nine Poniatowska's family moved to Mexico City. She grew up speaking French and learned English in a private British school. However, her knowledge of Spanish came from talking with the maids, so her written Spanish was largely collo ...more
More about Elena Poniatowska...
La noche de Tlatelolco Leonora La piel del cielo Querido Diego, te abraza Quiela Here's to You, Jesusa!

“but just as you become impregnated with someone, even after that someone is gone, that is how Lilus remained” 0 likes
“It torments you to know you were misunderstood, to not have risked yourself, and to wait.” 0 likes