Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6)

Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie #6)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Rushmore McKenzie, a retired St. Paul policeman and unexpected millionaire, often works as an unlicensed P.I., doing favors as it suits him. When graduate students Ivy Flynn and Josh Berglund show up with a story about $8 million in missing stolen gold from the ‘30s, McKenzie is intrigued.

In the early 20th century, St. Paul, Minnesota was an open city —a place where gangst...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Minotaur Books

LJ
First Sentence: Frank Nash was dead.

Rushmore McKenzie was a policeman in St. Paul, Minnesota until an unexpected event caused him to resign the force and become a millionaire. Now, he’s an unlicensed PI doing “favors” when something interests him.

In the 1930s, St. Paul was a save haven for the gangsters of the time in a city where the authorities were almost more crooked than the bad guys. Frank “Jelly” Nash was suspected of masterminding the $8 million theft of gold bars in 1933. Nash was kill...more
Rushmore McKenzie was a St. Paul policeman until an unexpected event allowed him to retire as a millionaire. Now he does favors for friends as an unlicensed private investigator. When graduate students Ivy Flynn (who first appeared in Tin City) and Josh Berglund come to him and ask for help finding gold never recovered from a 1930's bank robbery in North Dakota, McKenzie is intrigued.

What follows is a wonderful combination of a classic caper story and an interesting look into the seedy underbell...more
Julie
I saw the author pick up a MN book award for this and he was a jaunty entertaining speaker. Intrigued, I got the book at the library and was sort of discouraged at first because there are so many characters. Not only do we follow Rushmore McKenzie the sleuth and his immediate comrades, we get a bunch of suspects, hit men and then an entire historical group of gangsters to keep track of. Slow going at first. Being from the Twin Cities I was amazed at the geography the author throws out. "This is...more
Clare
I'm on a kick where I'm reading books based in the Twin Cities (or Minnesota) by Minnesota authors. This is another one.

If you never had to worry about money again, what would you do? In Rushmore McKenzie's case, he "helps out" friends and solves mysteries. His young friend Ivy wants him to track down a dead gangster's gold. Turns out, St. Paul was a haven for mobsters in the 20s and 30s. This book narrates Jelly's life and death, and McKenzie's investigation. There's also a young bombshell nam...more
Susan
Meh. I don't enjoy speculation of conversations 60 years earlier.
Barbara Bakal
Long, overly drawn out. Really unrealistic.
Jame
I have read all of the Rushmore Mckenzie crimes novels, but this one was definitely a 3 star possibly a 2.5 star. The characters were all well developed and I appreciated the brief history on the crime scene of the 20's and 30's but overall the story seemed to stagnate from time to time making this one a bit difficult to complete. I was hoping for more of the intensity that the other novels such as "Dead Boyfriends" and "Pretty Girl Gone", had.
Su
I made an unexpected discovery of yet another Minnesota author and found his writing to be most enjoyable. In this book, the author flashes back between the present and the 1930's, a time when gangsters practically owned the city of St. Paul. The mystery itself centers on several groups of people determined to uncover a stash of gold bars hidden in the 30's by bank robber Frank Nash. It was a very entertaining read.
Marcy
Probably a 3.5 star book, really. Just not a four star. Very quick, enjoyable read. Loved the St. Paul references as I'm a transplant to the Twin City area. Mystery was interesting, but had a tidy end that wasn't very complicated. Really liked the style of Mr. Housewright's writing - well-paced and to the point. Had some humor, too, which was a nice touch.
Karla
Mar 05, 2010 Karla is currently reading it
Enjoying this. I think it would be a good "if you like Robert B. Parker you might like this author", although the author bristled when I likened him to Parker. He didn't elaborate why he didn't care to be compared, but I feel confident that others feel as I do. As a librarian these connections are very important when acting as a readers' advisor.
Jenny
I couldn't put this book down. DH always captures my attention from page one. Loved the 1930's gangster plotline. The book has a lot of character. I'm from the St. Paul area and am familiar with landmarks mentioned in the book so that adds a fun element to reading the McKenzie novels. This would make a good movie. Anyone agree?
Tom Hicks
You know a good book when it makes your emotions come out. I've read all of his books and this was one of the best. Got me thinking about researching the facts about the old gansters. I recently saw the movie Public Enemies with Johnny Depp and it was an action based movie with a little history involved. Good movie.
Dawn
Just saw Housewright at the Prior Lake Library. He was up for (and won, by the way) a Minnesota Book Award for Jelly's Gold. After seeing him at the library I started reading Jelly's. I liked it, and since I had just seen him and heard him speak, Mackenzie came more to life for me.
Terry
P.I.Rushmore McKenzie helps out friends again--former cop who won the lottery always helps his friends. . . .this one pulls us into the world of 30s gangsters and long-lost gold (as in bank robberies). Bit of caper and an easy read. Good way to learn about St. Paul history.
Diane
Especially good because I have spent time in St. Paul, Minn.
Al Iverson
A treasure hunt in St. Paul? WOW! OK, it's a little silly....maybe even sillier than the previous McKenzie books. But, I enjoyed it.
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; a treasure hunt for gold stolen by gansters 70 years prior leads to murder
Carol
I enjoy the Rush McKenzie series by this Minnesota author. This time his case deals with the 1930s gangster era in St. Paul.
Stephanie Wnetrzak

Another well done story! Still loving Mac and all the characters. The buried treasure plot line was fun and different!
Kim Nielsen
As a Minnesotan-at-heart, and as a fan of Rushmore McKenzie, I highly recommend this series!
Annie Michelle
i really enjoy my local authors, david does not dissapoint
Cheryl
At lot if St Paul history along with a great story!
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Rhonda Gilliland
Rhonda Gilliland marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Heather Morr
Heather Morr marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s...more
More about David Housewright...
A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1) Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2) Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3) Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9) Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)