The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)

The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,288 ratings  ·  96 reviews
When Jennifer "Cam" Jansen and her friend Eric are at the mall, they witness a robbery at the jewelry store! Can Cam's amazing photographic memory help catch a thief?
Published July 22nd 2004 by Puffin (first published March 10th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds

Anne
Evelynn {The Literary Pianist}
When I was younger, perhaps nine or under, I was enamored with this series. I bought another Cam Jansen book somewhere (probably a thrift store) and read it last year. I can see why I really liked them back in the day, but now I realize that the writing is very much for a younger audience: very simple sentence structure, simple descriptions, simple dialog.

If I were to rate this Cam Jansen book (and the others) based on how I viewed them when I was younger, they would all be 4.5 to 5 stars. But I...more
Nicola Mansfield
I first met Cam Jansen a few years back when my son read a couple aloud to me as his reader, so I picked up a few more for him. I was impressed with the quality of the mystery for this level of reading. Starting here with the first book in the series, I'm again impressed with this mystery series for first chapter book readers. Cam (aka Jennifer) and Eric are two interesting and curious children with a lot of smarts. Cam's photographic memory is an unusual device and makes for a fun element to th...more
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
The following is a confession from Stella Chen:
I've always wanted to be like Cam Jansen. Photographic memory? Heck yes! I thought I'll ace every test in school and become a detective one day. Unfortunately, that never happened so I have to rely on stupid studying to get me through school. -le sigh-

Also, please read my review of The Absent Author by Ron Roy to take a peek at my childhood and how I became The Girl That Loves Mystery Books. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
Justin Ferrell
Mystery, 1980

Cam Jansen is a young girl with a photographic memory that has a pension for solving mysteries. One day while waiting in the mall with a friend Eric, they see that there is a commotion at the jewelry store. They see many different people come running out of the store before the police arrive and Cam learns that the store has been robbed. Using her excellent memory, Jan recalls that immediately after hearing the alarm she saw a man with a mustache run out of the store, then a young c...more
Claudia
cam and erick went to the mall and they saw in the jewelry store and they saw went one man stolen the diamonds and cam and erick call the polices mans and they don't know what to do so. the police take who stolen the jewelry store...
Michelle Randall
My youngest daughter is 6 years old an in 1st grade, but her reading level is more on the line of a 4th grader, which makes finding books difficult. I need to find things interesting and difficult enough to engage her, but yet she is still a 1st grader and as such not mature enough for some books.

Last night, she and I sat down to read this book. Now, having been a Literacy Assistant (basically a teachers aide that taught reading) in our local school for the past two years, I knew that Cam Jansen...more
Esther Choi
Cam Janson and her friend Eric Shelton were watching Eric's baby brother, Howie, at the mall while his parents went shopping. Near the bench they were sitting, the jewelry store's alarm went off and the people around panicked as a man wearing a green tie ran out of the store in a hurry. This made Cam very confused because there were plenty of exits around that he could have went for. Cam, who was nicknamed that after "camera" due to her photographic memory, noticed the other people who were a pa...more
The original Cam Jansen series follows the exploits of 10-year-old 5th grader Jennifer "the Camera" (aka "Cam") Jansen and her best friend, classmate, and neighbor Eric Shelton. Cam got her nickname because of her photographic memory. All she has to do is say "Click," and Cam can remember everything she's seen, which comes in pretty handy when trying to solve mysteries.

David Adler has written several beginning chapter book series, but Cam Jansen is one of the earliest and most successful. He's b...more
Jackie
Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds, written by David Adler tells the story about two children named Cam and Eric. One day Cam and Eric are in the mall and an alarm goes off. The both look around to see what is happening and see police officers arresting a man who is the so called jewelry thief. Cam and Eric decide that is up to them to catch the real thief, they then go on an adventure and attempt to get the thieves arrested. The author does an excellent job in helping the readers...more
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma and Will in one sitting. I'm so glad they enjoyed this book...so much more interesting to read this mystery than our previous Boxcar children "mysteries." I'm excited to read the next in this series to them; I remember really enjoying the series when I was little as well.
Hope Garland
I always loved Cam Jansen books as a child. These books are great because they are easy to follow and the mysteries are serious but child-appropriate. The story is full of twists and turns, however there are enough hints to the solution that a child can have the success of solving the mystery themselves. In this story, Cam, a young girl with a photographic memory and a penchant for solving mysteries, solves the mystery of a jewelry store robbery. The main characters, Cam and her best friend, Eri...more
Dolly
May 09, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, mystery
This is an interesting story about a young girl with photographic memory who solves a mystery based on her observations. She's a female version of Encyclopedia Brown of sorts.

As a mom, I don't like that the youngsters are left alone in the mall to babysit nor that they leave the area and put themselves in danger, but this is just a story.

On the other hand, I like that Cam is the lead character, providing a strong female role model for young girls. We will definitely look for other Cam Jansen s...more
Kelcie Willis
I thought this book was really engaging for young readers. David Adler does a good job at reeling the reader in to get you hooked on this book. The basic plot line is that a girl Cam, (short for camera, due to her photographic memory) and her friend Eric witness a robbery and go to catch a mall thief that stole from a jewelry store. The setting and some things in the book are very realistic, which I prefer to read in childrens books. As the story progresses, Cam begins to go after the thieves on...more
Bodea
I recently read this one with my niece and nephew. They enjoyed it. They liked the mystery and how Cam wasn't afraid to follow the clues. The length is perfect, the writing is simple, and the concept is interesting.
Literacy Group
Oct 27, 2013 Literacy Group rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 2-3
Shelves: mystery
Cam and Eric are at the mall watching Eric's brother Howie while his mother is shopping. Cam, or Jennifer, is known for her photographic memory. So when Parkers Jewelry Store is robbed she remembers all the details about who left the store. One man went running out of the store. The police thought he was the thief and went after him. Cam ended up following the man when he was not convicted of any crimes and found him at a house with the "couple" that had left the jewelry store. It turns out they...more
Leiera Monae
Children's Reading Adventures Book Club, Summer 2014

*D.E.A.R. Time -- Read with 8 & 9 year olds*

06.03.2014
Bhairavi
Fun book for 1st-2nd graders with repetitive rich words which makes the reader confident everytime they come across the same word. humor and suspense entices the children to keep reading till the end.
Chanel Debooy
I had heard of this series before reading. This was the first book of the series, and I liked it a lot! Even for me to read as a young adult, I wasn't bored or uninterested in the sort of juvenile kind of literature. It was a fast, attention grabbing read anyone can appreciate. It was cool because unlike a lot of other mystery books for children, Cam is more like a "real" kind of superhero. She doesn't use magic like popular Harry Potter or Twighlight series. I think this book is especially good...more
Jessie Mcelhoe
In David Alder’s first of the Cam Jansen series, Cam witnesses a jewelry store being burglarized. Alder gives children a start in the suspense genre with Cam and Eric solving the case of the missing diamonds and catching the thieves. There are a few black and white pictures in the story to help children as their reading level continues to grow. Alder also creates Cam and Eric with responsibility and being trust worthy.
Level: 2nd – 4th
Language – Students can create their own mystery and character...more
Zakaree Perez
This book brought back memories from when I was younger and first started reading chapter books. It's about a young girl with a photographic memory who solves mysteries. It's a great book to introduce young children to the mystery genre. You can introduce them to new words like detective and photographic memory. It's a series and I read all of them as a child and I think it will spark a lot of the kid's interests in reading.
Kayce
I recently read this book with a small group of second grade students and they thoroughly enjoyed it. The length is perfect for this age and attention span and the fact that it is a chapter book with fewer pictures was a major boost for their self-esteem. I would recommend this book or this series as a nice option for readers looking to transition from early chapter books to young adult reading.
Heather
I thought this was the coolest book ever when I read it. I always loved mysteries (still do) and I learned about the concept of photographic memory from this book and tried to develop it myself! (I don't think it worked, although I do have this weird visual memory of always remembering where something is placed on a page - but unfortunately not the content!)
Chak
Aug 17, 2009 Chak rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid
I love Cam Jansen books, but this one was a little strange, because Cam not only decided to pursue the bad guys on her own (as she does from time to time), but got herself into a very dangerous and kind of scary situation. Of course, everything worked out all right, but I think this might be a little too scary for younger or more sensitive readers.
Inoli
I must recommend these and see how well they're received. I read two of them (and will copy this to the other) and I thought the concept of the main character in a children's mystery having a photographic memory was very cool. And Cam was a great character too. The writing seemed to instill excitement and a sense of such activity that made the story fun.
Amanda
I used to adore these books when I was like eight or so. I've always had a thing for heroines with red hair. (and just plain red hair.) I was addicted to both this series and those A-Z Mysteries. It was only later on that I realized how stupid the whole "click" thing was... but, still, these are books I'll always cherish from the good old ages.
Scottsdale Public Library
Cam "The Camera" Jansen, a 5th grader with a photographic memory, is on the case! Beginning readers will enjoy reading this series about a budding female detective, her friends and family, and the many mysteries they solve. A nice balance of paragraphs and illustrations that are sure to have your young reader asking for more!

-Lindsey-
Stephanie
My 7 year old loves Cam Jansen books, in fact this was the first book she actually sat down and read to herself! We read the first 2 chapters together and then the next night she wanted to find out what happens and read the rest of the book, with a few stops here and there to tell me what was happening but otherwise straight through.
Thieves! Mystery! Girl with photographic memory! My six-year-old loved this. I, however, was not too happy about the scary and dangerous situation Cam gets herself into (along with the baby she is taking care of, no less). Not sure we'll continue with this series, though I may give it one more try.
  • The Absent Author (A to Z Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B
  • Sleepover Sleuths (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #1)
  • Anyone But Me (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #1)
  • Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #1)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Truth About Bats (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #1)
  • Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Boo...and I Mean It! (Junie B. Jones, #24)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • The Mount Rushmore Calamity (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #1)
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • Nate the Great
  • The Hidden Stairs and the Magic Carpet (The Secrets of Droon, #1)
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then-...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14) Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)