Start by marking “The Alibi Club” as Want to Read:
The Alibi Club

The Alibi Club

3.01 of 5 stars 3.01  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It’s the city’s most infamous after-hours haunt—a glittering hotbed of deals and debaucheries. The sordid death of Philip Stilwell sends shock waves through the Alibi Club...for there’s much more to Stilwell’s untimely end than a sex game gone wrong. His murder and the desperate attempt to keep a deadly weapon out of German hands will bring together the strands of a twiste ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Alibi Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alibi Club

Terri
Mar 05, 2009 Terri rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
If you're looking for a good WWII spy story set during the early days of the German invasion of France, pick something else. This book was largely uninteresting. The ending is horrible. The characters are entirely undeveloped. The Maguffin(s) become more important than the characters that they bring together and pull apart. Seriously. Don't bother.
Jessica
The large cast leads to disjointed plotting, and the ending fails to satisfy as little is resolved. Weaker than expected in both ideas and execution.
Mary Warnement
I almost gave up on this book in the first chapters, but like the fake war it's set during, the pace quickened and captured my interest as the war started. The chaos at that time lends itself to fiction, as long as the author can take advantage of building suspense without being dull. I hadn't realized at first that Francine Mathews was Stephanie Barron, author of Jane Austen mysteries, whose language I'd admired. Well done. I almost wish she were still analyzing at the CIA; I'd feel better abou ...more
AuthorsOnTourLive!
Francine Mathews worked as a foreign-policy analyst for the CIA. She is the author of The Cutout, The Secret Agent and Blown, and under the pseudonym Stephanie Barron, she is the author of eight bestselling Jane Austen mysteries. Epic and yet intimate, The Alibi Club is a seamless blend of fact and fiction based on a little-known episode of WWII. Mathews' own life in the spy world makes espionage in her books come uniquely alive.

We met Francine Mathews when she visited the Tattered Cover Booksto
Robert Henry
OK, if you like stories that take place during WWII.
Sarah "Kat"
Mar 22, 2015 Sarah "Kat" added it
Shelves: recycled
recycled, didn't read
Selma de Oliveira
This book is interesting to me. I read as book on tape and I was fascinated by the French and French/German accents. The author's description of the state France was left by the German's is detailed and informative. The fashion designer Chanel and jazz singer Josephine Baker real connection with the WWII was worth the reading.
stitchnsnitch
I know a book's not for me when the f-bomb is dropped within the first ten pages. After that blast--and a few more, including a kinky supposed suicide--I stopped reading.

I guess I prefer Francine Mathews as Stephanie Barron where the "modern" language is left out.
False Millennium
I like her writing, but I preferred "Blown" over this one. My biggest complaint would be that I felt I had to juggle to many characters in my head which didn't allow any of them to be fully developed and became a pain, for me, to keep them all straight.
Jennifer Eckel
Years ago I worked at the office of the NY law firm mentioned in this story. It brought back memories. A good yarn above a beach read, but lots of characters to figure out.
Historical fiction about France at the start of WWII and nuclear research going on at the time around Paris, spies and human folly. Interesting read.
Shari
Aug 10, 2011 Shari added it
It was ok. A little long and all over the place for me, but not a horrible read.
Rochelle
okay, but it was hard to get into or care about the characters. It felt very disjointed.
Patti
Aug 02, 2009 Patti marked it as to-read
Get CD. Read by Ellen Archer
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Viathenavy
Viathenavy marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Patrick Schultheis
Patrick Schultheis marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Ryan Krueger
Ryan Krueger marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Chris Sheridan
Chris Sheridan marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Bibliothekerin
Bibliothekerin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Francine Mathews was born in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls now live with their families; Francine's passion for Nantucket and the New England shoreline dates from her earliest memories. She grew up in Washingt ...more
More about Francine Mathews...
Jack 1939 The Cutout The Secret Agent Blown Death in a Mood Indigo