Start by marking “The Alibi Club” as Want to Read:
The Alibi Club

The Alibi Club

It’s the city’s most infamous after-hours haunt—a glittering hotbed of deals and debaucheries. The sordid death of Philip Stilwell sends shock waves through the Alibi Club...for there’s much more to Stilwell’s untimely end than a sex game gone wrong. His murder and the desperate attempt to keep a deadly weapon out of German hands will bring together the strands of a twiste ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Alibi Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alibi Club

Jun 19, 2016 Carla rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2009 Terri rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
If you're looking for a good WWII spy story set during the early days of the German invasion of France, pick something else. This book was largely uninteresting. The ending is horrible. The characters are entirely undeveloped. The Maguffin(s) become more important than the characters that they bring together and pull apart. Seriously. Don't bother.
Mar 02, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii, france
The large cast leads to disjointed plotting, and the ending fails to satisfy as little is resolved. Weaker than expected in both ideas and execution.
Mary Warnement
I almost gave up on this book in the first chapters, but like the fake war it's set during, the pace quickened and captured my interest as the war started. The chaos at that time lends itself to fiction, as long as the author can take advantage of building suspense without being dull. I hadn't realized at first that Francine Mathews was Stephanie Barron, author of Jane Austen mysteries, whose language I'd admired. Well done. I almost wish she were still analyzing at the CIA; I'd feel better abou ...more
Jun 01, 2009 AuthorsOnTourLive! rated it it was amazing
Francine Mathews worked as a foreign-policy analyst for the CIA. She is the author of The Cutout, The Secret Agent and Blown, and under the pseudonym Stephanie Barron, she is the author of eight bestselling Jane Austen mysteries. Epic and yet intimate, The Alibi Club is a seamless blend of fact and fiction based on a little-known episode of WWII. Mathews' own life in the spy world makes espionage in her books come uniquely alive.

We met Francine Mathews when she visited the Tattered Cover Booksto
Robert Henry
Jan 06, 2015 Robert Henry rated it really liked it
OK, if you like stories that take place during WWII.
Selma de Oliveira
Jun 14, 2011 Selma de Oliveira rated it really liked it
This book is interesting to me. I read as book on tape and I was fascinated by the French and French/German accents. The author's description of the state France was left by the German's is detailed and informative. The fashion designer Chanel and jazz singer Josephine Baker real connection with the WWII was worth the reading.
Apr 27, 2010 Teri rated it did not like it
I know a book's not for me when the f-bomb is dropped within the first ten pages. After that blast--and a few more, including a kinky supposed suicide--I stopped reading.

I guess I prefer Francine Mathews as Stephanie Barron where the "modern" language is left out.
False Millennium
I like her writing, but I preferred "Blown" over this one. My biggest complaint would be that I felt I had to juggle to many characters in my head which didn't allow any of them to be fully developed and became a pain, for me, to keep them all straight.
Jennifer Eckel
Sep 28, 2012 Jennifer Eckel rated it liked it
Years ago I worked at the office of the NY law firm mentioned in this story. It brought back memories. A good yarn above a beach read, but lots of characters to figure out.
Jan 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Historical fiction about France at the start of WWII and nuclear research going on at the time around Paris, spies and human folly. Interesting read.
Aug 10, 2011 Shari added it
It was ok. A little long and all over the place for me, but not a horrible read.
Jan 24, 2008 Rochelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
okay, but it was hard to get into or care about the characters. It felt very disjointed.
Sarah "Kat"
Oct 14, 2015 Sarah "Kat" added it
Shelves: recycled
recycled, didn't read
Aug 02, 2009 Patti marked it as to-read
Get CD. Read by Ellen Archer
Allan B
Allan B rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Thor marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Doreen added it
Sep 19, 2016
Carla rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Marielos Martinez
Marielos Martinez marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
James warrick
James warrick marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Saffira marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Kristin Centorcelli
Kristin Centorcelli marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Zora rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
Ainsley McCall
Ainsley McCall marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Barry marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Game of Spies
  • The Revolt of Gunner Asch
  • The Constantine Covenant
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • Interrogations: The Nazi Elite in Allied Hands, 1945
  • Paris-Underground
  • The Pale House (Gregor Reinhardt, #2)
  • Fox on the Rhine (Fox on the Rhine, #1)
  • Flesh Wounds (Inspector Troy, #5)
  • Red Orchestra: The Story of the Berlin Underground and the Circle of Friends Who Resisted Hitler
  • Daddy
  • Zig Zag: The Incredible Wartime Exploits Of Double Agent Eddie Chapman
  • Night of the Aurochs
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • The Sands of Sakkara
  • Orders from Berlin (Inspector Trave, #3)
  • The Collaborators
  • The Nazi Occult
Francine Mathews was born in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls now live with their families; Francine's passion for Nantucket and the New England shoreline dates from her earliest memories. She grew up in Washingt ...more
More about Francine Mathews...