Start by marking “Economics For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Economics For Dummies

Economics For Dummies

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  297 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
If you think economics is a complicated discipline that's reserved for theorists and the intellectual elite and has nothing to do with you, think again. Economics impacts every aspect of our lives, from what we eat, to how we dress, to where we live. Economics might be complicated, but it has everything to do with you. Economics For Dummies helps you see how your personal ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by For Dummies

To ask other readers questions about Economics For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Economics For Dummies

Dachokie
Sep 03, 2013 Dachokie rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Great Source of Information, but Dummies Beware ...

This book was reviewed as part of Amazon's Vine program which included a free advance copy of the book.

Having accumulated several of the "for Dummies" books over the years, I find that they offer a great base knowledge of information on a wide variety of subjects and are very useful as a reference. That being said, some topics are a little too "meaty" to simplify so easily ... and I would have to include economics as one of those topics.

Althoug
Michael
What can I say--it explains terms I need to know.
James
Oct 10, 2011 James rated it liked it
Ok, so I've gotten over being offended by the title of the books. Once that was put behind me, I was able to get something out the work.

I love economic theory, so anything dealing with a semi-tangible whose direction is determined by psychology and human behavior is easily palatable to me.
Ryan Swensen
Jun 16, 2009 Ryan Swensen rated it it was amazing
Great book. I never took an economics class in high school or at university. I decided to read this book part way through reading Alan Greenspan's "The Age Of Turbulence" book so that I could get a better appreciation of what he was trying to convey. This book did that and them some. I highly recommend it for anybody seeking to understand economics simply and effectively.
Steven
Oct 25, 2012 Steven rated it liked it
I have been interested in understanding more about economics, so I picked this book up. My angle was to understand better the principles of economics. Though this book addressed those principles and explained them quite well, I felt it spent too much time with math and formulas to try and explain those principles.
J.P.
Jan 11, 2014 J.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is another great entry in the "For Dummies" series. It's good introduction for the layperson into how the economy works. I decided to read it after hearing various opinions on how certain policies should be handled, how the government handles money & the economy & because of the "Great Recession" as it has been called. I also decided to read it out of genuine curiosity because I once took an economics class & my "professor" said that all you needed was an opinion, which ...more
Charles Terry
If you don't like numbers, formulas, ratios, and probabilities then avoid this book. But, if you love em like I do then you MUST read this book.
Andrew Shaffer
Jun 24, 2015 Andrew Shaffer rated it it was amazing
Based on the other reviews on Amazon, I picked up this book to assist me with a graduate economics course after realizing that I was way in over my head. I'd never had an economics course before, so this book had to substitute for the undergraduate education that I was lacking. The verdict? I read it in one weekend, and caught up to speed in my grad class the next week. Definitely worth the investment.
Stefany
Aug 10, 2011 Stefany rated it it was amazing
Yes, I rated this 5 stars. I took Microeconomics earlier this summer and am studying for the Macroeconomics CLEP test, which I have scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I used this book to help me with some of the concepts I need. I think that the examples used in it are very clear to understand. They are also entertaining. If you have never taken an economics course, you ought to read this book. It was written before this recession hit, and explains all about monetary and fiscal policy and ho ...more
Pat Murphy
Aug 05, 2015 Pat Murphy rated it really liked it
This book says it can simplify economics for you. It tries to simplify it for you. I just have a hard time understanding it anyway.
Brandi
Dec 30, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
After a scheduling error, I found myself in Macroeconomics 2 instead of Macroeconomics 1. Not wanting to lose any of my other classes, I decided not to correct my schedule and decided to just keep the class. When it started, I found myself not understanding a lot of the basic terms and concepts the professor would discuss, so I ordered this book. It helped a lot, especially when studying for the exams. It explained everything in a much clearer fashion than the textbook we were using. I would hig ...more
Wilda
Oct 22, 2010 Wilda rated it it was amazing
Helps me understand economics in a way I never could before in college. It's like a whole new world has opened up to me. Now I read and listen to the news and actually understand what certain things mean and get the implications of certain fiscal and monetary policies. Very enjoyable read with just the right amount of sense of humor. The author (fellow Berkeley alum) breaks it down in such an easy way that even a dummy in economics like myself understood every marginal cost curve. Every person s ...more
Kevin
Aug 16, 2015 Kevin added it
good
Victor Faletutulu
Jan 08, 2016 Victor Faletutulu rated it it was amazing
I did not take economics in High school or university, however my Job in policy requires basic understanding of economic principles. This book made it easy to understand the law of supply and demand, scarcity etc in really simple terms. Great help
Jrobertus
Feb 09, 2011 Jrobertus rated it liked it
It has been a long time since I took econ in college. Given the time spent worrying today about the economy I needed an update. I whipped through this as a kind of refresher and found it useful.It made no mention of the guns and butter classic lessons, but was otherwise clear and timely.
Adam
Dec 10, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
Great explanation of the basics, accompanied by what I felt was a very balanced approach to markets vs. government intervention (benefits and drawbacks of each). Would strongly recommend if you're interested in learning basic economics in a less technical, mathy way.
Shannon
Jun 22, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: for-mba
Avery interesting read and not what I expected. I actually enjoyed this book. Well, 75% of it. I will never like algebra and graphing. However, I did learn a lot and feel I have a much better understanding of what Economics is. I'm ready to start this MBA already.
Andy
May 26, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
It's strange to choose "really liked it" for an economics book, and especially for a "For Dummies" book, but this presented the subject matter in a very understandable manner, without being ideological in a "the market is always right" sort of way.
Viridiana
Apr 27, 2013 Viridiana rated it it was ok
Esperaba explicaciones del funcionamiento de la economía que no se basasen en gráficos... Una fórmula matemática que ha sido deducida a partir de la realidad no puede convertirse en la explicación de esa realidad. No creo que haya aprendido mucho.
Crystal
Sep 04, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good basic overview.

Very light from a mathematical standpoint and definitely biased, but a good overview or preview for future students or those interested in grasping basic economics.
Darcy Stewart
Oct 18, 2010 Darcy Stewart rated it it was amazing
This is a great guide if planning to take the AP Macro and Micro economics tests. Economics is explained very well in this book. It's short and left out a lot of blah, blah, blah.
Aaron
May 14, 2009 Aaron rated it liked it
A great introductory text, especially for those of us who wasted our education by never taking an Econ course. Read it through in relatively little time, and never got bored.
Alana
Aug 17, 2013 Alana rated it really liked it
very simple to understand the basic concepts of economics. also, the author does add in a few humorous parts, which kind of made me forget that i was reading a dummies book :P
Valerie
Oct 28, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok
Not bad. It's like taking Econ 101. I'm better with understanding words so I just skipped all of the algebra and accompanying graphs.
Sahar Abdel-Hameed
Jun 28, 2013 Sahar Abdel-Hameed rated it really liked it
It is my first book on economics. I found it to be very helpful, simple and interesting. It gave me a pretty fair overview on the subject.
James Violand
Jun 30, 2014 James Violand rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: economic students
Shelves: own
I used this as a review for the economic classes I had in college long ago. It helped me on my Praxis exam to teach the subject
Mckinley
Aug 08, 2012 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ref, economy
1/3 through before had to return.
Good review/overview. First part focuses on microeconomics. Next part is macroeconomics.
Mike Ford
Apr 07, 2013 Mike Ford rated it liked it
Pretty good overview of mainstream economics. I read this as a refresher before entering grad school and found it helpful.
Nicole
Oct 11, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Economics Newbies
Recommended to Nicole by: God
Shelves:
Not bad. It is the down and dirty way to get a head start on my Micro Econ class. 1500 page paper due on Monday. Blah...
Lynn
Sep 11, 2009 Lynn rated it liked it
This is surprisingly good. I'm always impressed with how smart these dummies are.
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • Religion for Dummies
  • Organizing for Dummies
  • Six Sigma for Dummies
  • Project Management for Dummies
  • Financial Statements: A Step-by-step Guide to Understanding and Creating Financial Reports
  • Feng Shui For Dummies
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Free Marketing: 101 Low and No-Cost Ways to Grow Your Business, Online and Off

“Economics is the science that studies how people and societies make decisions that allow them to get the most out of their limited resources.” 0 likes