Start by marking “The Greatest Thing In the World” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Thing In the World

The Greatest Thing In the World

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,815 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
New large-type edition of Henry Drummond's classic sermons on Love and the Christian life.
Published December 28th 2006 by Tarcher (first published 1874)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Thing In the World, please sign up.

Kelly Pode ser uma repetição de um código de religião, mas pela conjuntura atual, está bem esquecido pela sociedade geral. Às vezes, pregar não é o…morePode ser uma repetição de um código de religião, mas pela conjuntura atual, está bem esquecido pela sociedade geral. Às vezes, pregar não é o suficiente, é necessário ler também para fixar melhor!(less)

Kate

Unselfishness - Love Giving
Good Temper - Love Behaving
Guilelessness - Love Believing
Sincerity - Love Honest

The above is my concise, paraphrased version of this book.

These nine components of love are the background of this 61 page sermon written by a 19th century Scottish evangelical preacher. His review on 1 Corinthians 13, Paul's discussion on Love, is rich and incredibly diff
Zohreh Hanifeh
کتاب، داستان نداشت. با اینکه به شکل داستان شروع شده بود. که روزی مردمی گرد آمدند و جویای سخن تازه ای بودند و چنین و چنان شد که جوانکی شروع به صحبت کرد، و باقی مواعظی بود درباره اینکه عشق عطیه برتر است و تنها چیزی ست که جاودان می ماند و آن گاه که همه چیزِ دیگر زایل می شود اگر عشق نورزیده باشی هیچ برایت نمانده است.
ولی استفاده از این جوان گویا فقط بدین جهت بود که نویسنده مواعظ را از زبان خود نگفته باشد. که تاثیر کلامش بیشتر شود.
اما بخش بعدی کتاب که زندگینامهٔ مختصری بود از پولس رسول، و بعد رسالهٔ ا
Terry
Jan 31, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
In this little book, Henry Drummond teaches what all true Christians know. The Greatest Thing in the World is love. Love of God and our fellowmen will compel us to live right. Love will make us more like Christ and God, Our Father. Love will prepare us for Eternal Life with them.

Love, according to Drummond, has nine ingredients:
1- Patience

Each of these ingredients is drawn from scripture in 1
Rahil
Aug 05, 2016 Rahil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
در روز قضا
بزرگترین پرسش انسان این نیست که" چگونه زیسته ام؟"
بلکه این خواهد بود که : " چگونه عشق ورزیدم؟"
J.A.
Like George MacDonald, Henry Drummond was a 19th century Scotsman who wrote books with a Christian theme. I read MacDonald because he was admired by an author whom I admire, C.S. Lewis. I read this book by Drummond because it impressed another man I admire, John D. Clemens, my grandfather. A few years ago my grandfather felt compelled to record some of the influences that helped him curb his temper. He put his recollections into a letter that he sent out to his extended family. I read this lette ...more
Ashlee Reed
Jul 19, 2014 Ashlee Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The test of a man then is not, "How have I believed?" but "How have I loved?"

For the withholding of love is the negation of the spirit of Christ, the proof that we never knew Him, that for us He lived in vain.
It means that He suggested nothing in
all our thoughts, that He inspired nothing in all our lives, that we
were not once near enough
to Him to be
seized with the spell of His compassion
for the world. It means that:--

I lived for myself,
I thought for myself,
For myself,
and none beside
Jus
Kathleen
May 02, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts out with the famous passage from Saint Paul, which contains the well-known phrase "when I was a child, I used to talk as a child... now I am a man, and have put away childish things" and then Drummond goes on to explain in great detail the meaning of every sentence of that passage, in essay form. It is quite interesting and a quick read-- and I did enjoy seeing how Drummond illuminated the meaning of Saint Paul's words, and especially I was happy to read his explanation of "through a glas ...more
Garth Richards
Oct 12, 2007 Garth Richards rated it it was amazing
This book is all about LOVE! More than just the our westernized understanding of love however! You will actually understand that love is made up of four different things. Unfortunately in our english language we one have one name for love that is suppose to encompass the complexity of what love is. Love is actually made up of:

EROS--Physical attention(a natural feeling)
PIA--Parent to child(a natural feeling)
PHILO--Approval(a natural feeling)
AGAPE--Understanding(a deliberate use of the mind)

A
Susan Vreeland
Mar 17, 2012 Susan Vreeland rated it it was amazing
The classic analysis of First Corinthians, chapter 13. Drummond has produced a treatise on love so wise, so full, so spiritual that it makes me want to elevate and broaden my concept of love and practice the unselfed, generous, broad, spiritual love full of grace that Drummond challenges us to express. Drummond is logical, profound, and high-minded. He shows how this passage from Paul demands much of us. I'd better get started!

I want to buy a crateful and hand them out at a streetcorner--or at l
Fardin
Jun 24, 2016 Fardin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: همه ی انسان ها
Shelves: favorites, read-again
چرا می خواهیم تا ابد زندگی کنیم ؟
چون می خواهیم فردا کسی را که دوست داریم به سوی ما بیاورد.
چون می خواهیم یک روز دیگر با کسی که کنار ماست زندگی کنیم.
چون می خواهیم کسی را بیابیم که سزاوارعشق ما باشد و او نیز به نوبه ی خود بتواند همانگونه که ما سزاوار آنیم به ما عشق بورزد.بنابراین وقتی انسان کسی را ندارد که دوستش بدارد میل عمیقی به مرگ در وجودش می دود.هنگامی که دوستانی دارد، کسانی که دوستش دارند و دوستشان دارد زندگی می کند.

در حالیکه هر چیز دیگری به پایان می رسد ....عشق می ماند...عشق ابدی است و زندگی
ظرافت: عشق اطوار ناپسندیده ندارد
تسلیم: نفع خود را خواهان نیست
تسامح: خشم نمی گیرد
معصومیت: سوء ظن ندارد
صداقت: از ناراستی شاد نمی شود، اما با راستی به شعف می آید.
میتونم بگم از تاثیر گذار ترین کتابهایی بود که تا الان خوندم
Aileen Abreu
Feb 10, 2014 Aileen Abreu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think you know all there is to know about love,this book reminds you. I love this man and his relevance to life. I love that even a sentence can bring me back to love true meaning.
Jimmy Nyakora
Jan 02, 2013 Jimmy Nyakora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God is Love. This book changed my perspective of God and Life. Captured in it is the essence of true Christianity and the purpose of living: "to Love and to be Loved". Need i say more?
Carol Arnold
Feb 23, 2015 Carol Arnold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contain three sermons by Henry Drummond. The first two, "The Greatest Thing in the World" and "Pax Vobiscum" were excellent.

In "The Greatest thing in the World," Rev. Drummond goes to 1 Corinthians 13 to show that love is the greatest thing and the ultimate thing in the Christian's life. If there is no love, there is no Christianity. He uses as an illustration the elder son in the Parable of the Prodigal Son and his unloving attitude. He also shows from Matthew 25:31-46, where the jud
Daliso Ngoma
Well the book was quite short, if it would be considered a book?

Pretty much written through the eyes of Henry Drummond, and the main message of the book was established quite early in that Love is the essence of life.

So yes, The Supreme Gift = Love. Spoiler alert! Sorry. Also quite Christian based in its writing as Henry Drummond was a preacher in his time, from what can be understood.

As this book was written as a sermon, it does have a preachy undertone, and keeps one going for a good hour or
Prity Malhotra
Apr 17, 2014 Prity Malhotra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jesus preached Sermons which made him God..Reaading Paaulo's books these days, it seems like he too is wanting to earn that spot real bad. Expecting a proper story line from paulo would be foolish as he is much of an ' OSHO' type writer..and he doesnt disappoint. The book starts with 'Love is ' & ends with ' Love is'. The author tires you with a long boring speech on love & nothing else in between..Its like reading a 50 page defination on love in a dictionary. There is no soul in the wri ...more
Jay
Should you read this? If you are a Christian and live your life to love God and others, maybe, but this book may give you the feeling of being a choir preached at.

If you are not a christian or you are struggling with the religiosity of "religion" and God, yes-- read it.

This was a quick read but may not be anything too profound to lovers of Jesus. I think 6 years ago I needed this book more.

It basically elucidates and breaks down the importance of love through the lens of 1 Corinthians 13.

I w
Crissi
Sep 13, 2016 Crissi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paulo Coelho, once again, manages to take a simple concept and dissect it in such a way that I am forever changed. In this adaptation of Henry Drummond's story, the topic of love as it's spelled out in Paul's letter to the Corinthians is applied to every day life. In this, we are all given reason to pause as we reflect on the areas we are failing to love, and the simple ways we can make that change. The book is short, but it's a heavy read.
Nuno Picareta
Summum Bonum - O Dom Supremo

O amor é composto de nove ingredientes:
- Paciência
- Entrega
- Tolerância
- Inocência
- Sinceridade

Significado de «nobre» - alguém que age de maneira digna.

Não existe felicidade em ter e receber, apenas em dar.

Livro mais famoso de Inglaterra: "Pickwick Papers" de Charles Dickens

As únicas coisas imortais são a fé, a esperança e o amor
Mirachil27
May 01, 2015 Mirachil27 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conventional Wisdom

This very short book focuses on the section of Paul's Letter to the Corinthians that begins "Love is patient, love is kind." Unlike Coelho's other well known books that explore mystical approaches to religious thought, this book discusses verses of the new testament already familiar to most Christians, and attempts to explain the primary place from which love comes. The expected answer is given; God is love. Nothing new here.
Mitra
عشق زندگی است. عشق هرگز خطا نمیکند، و زندگی، تا زمانی که عشق هست، به خطا نمیرود. در بنیانِ تمامی مخلوقات، عشق همچون عطیهی برتر حاضر است - زیرا هنگامی که هر چیز دیگری به پایان میرسد، عشق میماند.

Gina Johnson
This is actually a collection short essays. The first, The Greatest Thing in the World, is very good and I would have given it 5 stars. The subsequent essays had some good points but overall were very dated both in writing style and in themes.
Maria
سه چیز می ماند،ایمان،امید،عشق.اما عشق برترین آنهاست.اگر ایمانم چنان کامل باشد تا آنجاکه کوهها را جابجا کنم، و عشق نداشته باشم،هیچم...........)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Nov 16, 2009 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
عشق اینجاست در اکنون ما حاضر است، عشق زندگیست. پائولو کوئلیو
arsalan keramat
جمع آوري بخشهايي از انجيل كه در آن در خصوص عشق صحبت به ميان آمده است
Maryam Shahriari
از بين كتاب هايي كه از كوئيلو خوندم از اين بيشتر خوشم اومد.
Clive Mooney
Feb 19, 2017 Clive Mooney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timely reminder.

It reminded me that I should have love for everyone. As it says in 1 John 4 "we love because HE first loved us". If we have nothing at least we have love.
Jacqueline
Jan 17, 2017 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I will be rereading it for sure.
Ron
Jan 28, 2017 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retelling of a Christian Classic. Well done.
Ron
Apr 19, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians, one of most reflected passages of the New Testament, has been freely adapted from Henry Drummond and reinterpreted by Paolo Coelho, speaks of...well love. Overflowing with warmth and insight, it's a sermon on what love really is.
The mistakes we made will not even be remembered. We will be judged by the good we neglected to do, because to keep Love locked up inside us is to go against the spirit of God, it is proof that we never knew Him, that He love
Possible first edition, very old 1 2 Feb 05, 2013 10:51AM
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • The Transformation of the Inner Man
  • The Two Covenants
  • Loving God When You Don't Love the Church: Opening the Door to Healing

“Why do we want to live for ever? Because we hope that tomorrow will bring us someone we can love. Because we want to live another day with the person we love beside us. Because we want to find someone who deserves our Love and who, in turn, will know how to love us as we deserve to be loved. That is why, when a man has no one to love him, he feels a great desire to die. As long as he has friends, people who love him and whom he loves too, he will live. Because to live is to love.” 11 likes
“One loves because Love is the Greatest Gift, not because it gives us something in return.” 8 likes