The Greatest Thing In the World

The Greatest Thing In the World

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  65 reviews
New large-type edition of Henry Drummond's classic sermons on Love and the Christian life.
Published December 28th 2006 by Tarcher (first published 1874)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Thing In the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Thing In the World

The Kingdom of God Is Within You by Leo TolstoyA History of the Sikhs by Joseph Davey CunninghamThe Iliad by HomerSikh Religion by Max Arthur MacauliffeGlimpses of World History by Jawaharlal Nehru
Books Read by Gandhi
30th out of 75 books — 6 voters
In His Steps by Charles M. SheldonThe Great Controversy by Ellen G. WhiteThe Hour That Changes the World by Dick EastmanTransformation by Jim AyerThe Latter Rain Covenant by D. Wesley Myland
My Essential Books
12th out of 44 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate

Unselfishness - Love Giving
Good Temper - Love Behaving
Guilelessness - Love Believing
Sincerity - Love Honest

The above is my concise, paraphrased version of this book.

These nine components of love are the background of this 61 page sermon written by a 19th century Scottish evangelical preacher. His review on 1 Corinthians 13, Paul's discussion on Love, is rich and incredibly diff...more
Terry
In this little book, Henry Drummond teaches what all true Christians know. The Greatest Thing in the World is love. Love of God and our fellowmen will compel us to live right. Love will make us more like Christ and God, Our Father. Love will prepare us for Eternal Life with them.

Love, according to Drummond, has nine ingredients:
1- Patience
8- Guilelessness
9- Sincerity

Each of these ingredients is drawn from scripture in 1...more
Kathleen
Starts out with the famous passage from Saint Paul, which contains the well-known phrase "when I was a child, I used to talk as a child... now I am a man, and have put away childish things" and then Drummond goes on to explain in great detail the meaning of every sentence of that passage, in essay form. It is quite interesting and a quick read-- and I did enjoy seeing how Drummond illuminated the meaning of Saint Paul's words, and especially I was happy to read his explanation of "through a glas...more
J.A.
Like George MacDonald, Henry Drummond was a 19th century Scotsman who wrote books with a Christian theme. I read MacDonald because he was admired by an author whom I admire, C.S. Lewis. I read this book by Drummond because it impressed another man I admire, John D. Clemens, my grandfather. A few years ago my grandfather felt compelled to record some of the influences that helped him curb his temper. He put his recollections into a letter that he sent out to his extended family. I read this lette...more
Garth Richards
This book is all about LOVE! More than just the our westernized understanding of love however! You will actually understand that love is made up of four different things. Unfortunately in our english language we one have one name for love that is suppose to encompass the complexity of what love is. Love is actually made up of:

EROS--Physical attention(a natural feeling)
PIA--Parent to child(a natural feeling)
PHILO--Approval(a natural feeling)
AGAPE--Understanding(a deliberate use of the mind)

A...more
Prity Malhotra
Jesus preached Sermons which made him God..Reaading Paaulo's books these days, it seems like he too is wanting to earn that spot real bad. Expecting a proper story line from paulo would be foolish as he is much of an ' OSHO' type writer..and he doesnt disappoint. The book starts with 'Love is ' & ends with ' Love is'. The author tires you with a long boring speech on love & nothing else in between..Its like reading a 50 page defination on love in a dictionary. There is no soul in the wri...more
Susan Vreeland
The classic analysis of First Corinthians, chapter 13. Drummond has produced a treatise on love so wise, so full, so spiritual that it makes me want to elevate and broaden my concept of love and practice the unselfed, generous, broad, spiritual love full of grace that Drummond challenges us to express. Drummond is logical, profound, and high-minded. He shows how this passage from Paul demands much of us. I'd better get started!

I want to buy a crateful and hand them out at a streetcorner--or at l...more
Nuno Picareta
Summum Bonum - O Dom Supremo

O amor é composto de nove ingredientes:
- Paciência
- Entrega
- Tolerância
- Inocência
- Sinceridade

Significado de «nobre» - alguém que age de maneira digna.

Não existe felicidade em ter e receber, apenas em dar.

Livro mais famoso de Inglaterra: "Pickwick Papers" de Charles Dickens

As únicas coisas imortais são a fé, a esperança e o amor
Aileen Abreu
Just when you think you know all there is to know about love,this book reminds you. I love this man and his relevance to life. I love that even a sentence can bring me back to love true meaning.
Jimmy Nyakora
God is Love. This book changed my perspective of God and Life. Captured in it is the essence of true Christianity and the purpose of living: "to Love and to be Loved". Need i say more?
Ashlee Reed
The test of a man then is not, "How have I believed?" but "How have I loved?"

For the withholding of love is the negation of the spirit of Christ, the proof that we never knew Him, that for us He lived in vain.
It means that He suggested nothing in
all our thoughts, that He inspired nothing in all our lives, that we
were not once near enough
to Him to be
seized with the spell of His compassion
for the world. It means that:--

I lived for myself,
I thought for myself,
For myself,
and none beside
Jus...more
Jay
Should you read this? If you are a Christian and live your life to love God and others, maybe, but this book may give you the feeling of being a choir preached at.

If you are not a christian or you are struggling with the religiosity of "religion" and God, yes-- read it.

This was a quick read but may not be anything too profound to lovers of Jesus. I think 6 years ago I needed this book more.

It basically elucidates and breaks down the importance of love through the lens of 1 Corinthians 13.

I w...more
Agreenwalt
Today I re-read this small treasure; great things do, indeed, come in small packages.
Within these few pages, Henry Drummond gives his readers a simple, yet wonderful reminder that "the greatest thing" which motivates one to live life to the fullest is love. After all, love is the source of all life; God IS love. Just as true as it is that we cannot please God without faith, it is impossible to successfully do what He has called us to do without love because love never fails!
Daliso Ngoma
Well the book was quite short, if it would be considered a book?

Pretty much written through the eyes of Henry Drummond, and the main message of the book was established quite early in that Love is the essence of life.

So yes, The Supreme Gift = Love. Spoiler alert! Sorry. Also quite Christian based in its writing as Henry Drummond was a preacher in his time, from what can be understood.

As this book was written as a sermon, it does have a preachy undertone, and keeps one going for a good hour or...more
deZengo
Aug 13, 2011 deZengo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to deZengo by: Complete Accident
It was divine intervention that brought this book to my attention. I had no idea who Mr. Drummond was and why I was drawn to the book. The book to which my encounter with Mr. Drummond's powerful addresses had already peaked my interest once I noticed the hand painted cover!

From the very first statement, the archaic looking book had my complete attention. It was simply - beautifully written for the layman and the scholar to read and comprehend. The author makes understandable analysis and leaves...more
Alexis Neal
A short and simple treatment of I Corinthians 13. Drummond doesn't really break any new ground here, but he does a good job laying out the importance of love (paramount), the source of love (God, who is love), and the characteristics of a loving person (patience, kindness, etc.). Nothing earth shattering here, but definitely worth the few minutes it takes to read it. And probably a good resource for those who are less enamored of long complex treatises on biblical concepts.

I was sort of annoyed...more
Catherine Mullaney
Jun 18, 2014 Catherine Mullaney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all who want to love
Shelves: following-jesus
We read this aloud as a family. I have read it to myself a number of times. H. Drummond unpacks 1Corinthians 13 like no one else.
Barb
Written in 1874 this inspirational little book is remarkably relevant today.
Caleb Sargent
Life changing study of I Corinthians 13
Aleathea
The Greatest Thing in the World is a timeless classic that adds value to everyday live. It focuses on profound love that we should all strive to achieve. It explains love based on First Corinthians 13 from the Bible. I think everyone should have this book as part of their collection. If we followed the teachings of Henry Drummond presented in this text, our world would be so much better... happier and filled with love.
Tiare
Defensa del amor como don supremo, del que derivan todas las demás virtudes.
Breve y con frases rescatables, pero deja con gusto a poco.
Kent Robinson
Although a short book, it has so much to say.
Janet
Jan 28, 2013 Janet rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Janet by: Carl D. Coffield
Greatest Thing in the World and Other Addresses is wonderful book that should be read and reread over and over again. Love: The Greatest Thing in the World is based on I Corinthians 13 and the main reason for purchasing the book. It is a great book to share with others.

I heard it can be found for free online. The book I have was forwarded by D. L. Moody and contains seven stories in all.
Debica
love is the supreme gift. its kind, patient and does not envy.. I get that message. The first half of the book took me on a cozy journey.. However as it was going on, I felt that I lost my track in the journey and getting preached. . At the end things were starting to get redundant. Felt more like reading a less powerful version of Bible. I liked Manuscript Found in Accra better.
Sonny Sweatt
This book is truly one of the best books I've ever read. Henry Drummond's discussion about love reminds me of a dance. He lights back and forth on the topics. He does not try to be exhaustive in his description or his thoughts. He merely puts forth some thoughts on some of a huge subject matter. I just happen to find that those thoughts are rather beautiful. Enjoy.
Danette
This book has a profound effect on me. I actually purchased an old copy of it and will continue to re-read it for the rest of my life. It cuts right to the heart of the matter on how we should treat our fellow sojourners in this world. It is the best thing I have ever read on 1 Corinthians 13 {the Love chapter}.
Tim Chavel
This is an excellent book on love. The love described in 1 Corinthians 13. The author. Henry Drummond, (1851-1897) was a world-renowned 19th century evangelist from Scotland. He assisted Dwight L. Moody with revivals. If you are interested in a study on the Bible meaning of love this is the book for you!
Pamela Hawley
This is a book about love. It's title speaks the whole motive of the book. It's a short read on how we can become more selfless and more loving and encourages us to do a deep examination of our thoughts and actions. Its a very short read by a profound, 19th century thinker. I highly recommend taking a look!
Kelly
A quick read packed full of eternal truths. Concise and convicting. Excellent content and encouraging.
Ben
These are incredible lectures, especially the Greatest thing in the World. It could be called life changing. As with most five star books I put up I can't properly describe the way I feel about this in a review. But that is one lecture that everyone should read.
Possible first edition, very old 1 2 Feb 05, 2013 10:51AM
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • What Your Childhood Memories Say about You: And What You Can Do about It
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • Insignificant: Why You Matter in the Surprising Way God Is Changing the World
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • The Good Life
  • The Apostle : A Life of Paul
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • The Great House of God
  • Godforsaken: Bad Things Happen. Is There a God Who Cares? Yes. Here's Proof.
  • Becoming Your Spouse's Better Half: Why Differences Make a Marriage Great
  • Becoming Fearless: My Ongoing Journey of Learning to Trust God
  • The Search Committee
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Kiss Me Like You Mean It: Solomon's Crazy in Love How-To Manual
  • Grace Walk
Natural Law in the Spiritual World Beautiful Thoughts Pax Vobiscum The Monkey That Would Not Kill (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press) The Changed Life

“One loves because Love is the Greatest Gift, not because it gives us something in return.” 2 likes
“I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.” 1 likes