Start by marking “The Bad Daughter: Betrayal and Confession” as Want to Read:
The Bad Daughter: Betrayal and Confession

The Bad Daughter: Betrayal and Confession

When Julie Hilden's mother became ill her daughter didn't do what was expected of her. Julie chose to abandon her mother and make her own life. As a child, she used books to escape her mother's silent retreats and bewildering rages. When Harvard's acceptance letter came, she fled. She blamed no one for her sad childhood, and she never asked for forgiveness. THE BAD DAUGHTE ...more
Published January 4th 1998 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Daughter

As you could infer also from its subtitle, “Betrayal and Confession”, this memoir is not cheery. It’s not long. Though competently written, it has a lot of flatly delivered factual reporting and little lyricism.

The betrayal is by both mother and daughter, early and late. The daughter’s betrayal seems almost minor: busy, emotionally estranged daughter does not visit Mom in nursing home great distance away til almost the last moment of Mom’s final two years of life. The narcissistic mother’s seem
Leslie Jem
Mar 28, 2010 Leslie Jem rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir-essay
The book took a very long time to tell an exceedingly depressing story. I got tired of the author's continual infidelity and deceitfulness.
Pierced Librarian
Jan 22, 2016 Pierced Librarian rated it did not like it
I really have a hard time negatively reviewing stories when authors have shared their stories. I want to honor their courage for coming forward with hard stuff, especially hard personal stuff.

Reading this felt like reading a laundry list of boring facts. The only thing missing was bullet points. But for such a painful story: daughter leaves home to basically never return- even after her mother is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and enters a nursing home then ultimately dies- the telling was as dry as
Sep 15, 2016 Adrian rated it liked it
This book was very relatable to me. I've gone through health issues with my family during my college years and this book actually made me feel a little better knowing someone else had gone through a similar situation, and it gave me a glimpse of how they've handled it.
Aug 06, 2007 Heather rated it it was ok
I find it hard to identify with this book since my mother and I are so close and I can never imagine our relationship becoming something like this. It did however incite a discussion with my future husband about what either of us would do about having children if we had a predisposition or knowledge of a potentially fatal disease that could be passed on through one of us. It was thought provoking and worth reading the book if only to have had that discussion.
Jul 01, 2012 Melinda rated it liked it
Hilden shows herself to be a selfish young lady who found out ironically finds herself alone. This memoir also reveals a side of life marred by Alzheimer's--how the early mental and emotional signs of the disease can affect a family.

She is a true picture of humanity in that neither she nor her life is neatly tied up nor resolved. Her honesty and explicit description left me slightly uncomfortable yet intrigued to read on.
Jennifer Campaniolo
Jul 01, 2011 Jennifer Campaniolo rated it liked it
This book is beautifully-written, if a bit too detached. It feels like this is just the beginning of a longer story, one that would give the mother more of a voice. But I admire Hilden's honesty--she may be unlikeable, but she tells a compelling story that many in her shoes would be afraid to tell.
Jun 14, 2012 Colette rated it it was ok
I think this book deserves 2.5, but Goodreads won't let me. It is a confessional novel that put some off, but worth a look at. Alzheimer's is a disease that baffles the minds of those without the disease; I cannot imagine what it does to those whose minds are darkened with such a genetic ailment.
penny roth
Aug 12, 2008 penny roth rated it it was ok
Shelves: alphabetical
Another story of a bad mother getting a bad daughter. Just more gossip I guess. Helps remind me of how lucky I was to have a mother who loved and cared for me.
Jun 12, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it
A very different view and effect life and Alzheimer's has on the author and her outlook on life and choices she has made. Very though provoking...
Melanie rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2014
Kim Luper
Kim Luper rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Aimee rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2007
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Debbie rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Emily rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2008
Sarah rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2011
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2008
Tia rated it liked it
May 26, 2011
Catalina rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Stacy Bleich
Stacy Bleich rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Jenn Graham
Jenn Graham rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Kelli rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2008
Carla rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2009
Amy Davis
Amy Davis rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Sissyneck rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
dallas holmes
dallas holmes rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2010