Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques

Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  830 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The fully illustrated bible of cooking techniques from the world's best-known French cook is now in paperback and in one volume for the first time ever.
P
From a master chef and the current co-star (with Julia Child) of the hit television series iCooking at Home/i, comes everything the home cook needs to perfect his or her kitchen skills-assisted by instructive, step-by-step...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers

Beth
The title is exactly right: Jacques puts forth a thousand (really) different techniques here, all with photographs and detailed instructions. Although I'm not sure when I'll find occasion to carve swans out of apples or spend 12 hours making beef stock, I'm excited to have this book. French cooking is a whole new world for me, and this is the perfect book to get started with.
Don
May 06, 2007 Don rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn to cook
This was the book that I was told to read if I wanted to learn how to cook. It has everything you will need to know in order to cook well, from simple knife techniques, to building sauces, to tying roasts, to your basic cuts of meat. This book was instrumental in developing my own ideas of food and cooking. With the ideas you get from this book you'll be writting and creating your own recipes based on these classic and simple lessons.
Liz DeCoster
Another classic of French cuisine and techniques. Pepin is slightly more technique than recipe focused in this book (appropriately for the title), but the result is recipes that seem extremely fussy except for the fanciest of dinner parties. There are good techniques in here if you're interested in making a puff pastry swan or any one of a number of fruit/vegetable rosettes; since I can't imagine doing that, back to the library with Pepin!
Tien
I like the pictures of Jacques cutting up watermelons to look like penguins and other animals, but it makes me sad that great chefs waste their time doing crap like this. I guess it's entertaining. In any case, I love Jacques and this book is a great reference point because every step has a picture! So if you screw up, you'll know right away instead of at the end when you taste it and throw it out because it's just that gross.

There are basic techniques and recipes and there are more complicated...more
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
FALSE
Starlight
Jul 08, 2010 Starlight rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to cook
Recommended to Starlight by: Robert Raiter (R.I.P)
Chef Pepin teaches about everything about cooking in this book. I use it as a constant reference in the kitchen. Whether you are a home cook or a professional, this is a book that should be on your shelf.
On a personal note, I got to meet Chef Pepin at a book signing several years ago. Not only did he sign my (spattered and stained due to use) copy of Complete Techniques, I got to have my photo taken with him.
Quite an honor to be photographed with one of my culinary heroes.
Lee S
The art of teaching yourself fundamental cooking technique starts here. I learned more about the proper way to make food from its beginnings here than I could find in any book I searched. This book, along with the Culinary Institute of Americas (CIA) textbook are wonderful kitchen companions. A true chef cannot deny the importance of learning from these books. The proof will be evident by the smiles on your dinner guests faces after the first taste of duck confit!
Ginny
About 1/4 of the way through - it is thick (and very good). Excellent explanation and pictures of every technique imaginable. I love it. The book is based on the PBS Jacques Pepin series that went through a technique or food item per 1/2 hour episode. I think this series is on CD or DVD. I think that would be the only thing better than the book. Now finished - tried some recipes and my opinion remains unchanged. Very good technique oriented book.
Kelly
I love learning professional cooking tips and techniques, and this book doesn't let down. If you want to learn the basics of french cooking, this is a great tome. My biggest complaint is that the pictures are in black and white and not that easy to see what they are doing.

Great for learning the basics and some advanced techniques. Tom Colicchio of Top Chef fames says this is the book that taught him how to cook which is why I bought it.
Annie
I borrowed this book from the library, and I would have renewed it forever if someone didn't have it on hold. It's a dense culinary bible of more than 600 pages, thoroughly illustrated with photographs of Pepin doing the demonstrations himself. It's a great source of foundational (and random i.e. how to make flower-shaped garnishes) knowledge for anyone interested in learning proper cooking techniques from the ground up.
Mike Duigou
A wonderful book that has taught me much. I still refer to it often whenever doing something new or for a refresher on a seldom used technique (such as rolling croissant). I also like the accompanying video series which was made about 10 years later.

It is an amazing work considering the time it was made before the age of digital cameras and the number of photographs it includes.
Allison
Sep 23, 2007 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious gastronomes
You won't find a lot to love here if you're not interested in, say, how to cure your own raw ham, how to make your own salami, or how to prepare veal brains in black butter. There's step-by-step photos for every technique outlined in the book, and Pepin is wonderful at pointing out details and side notes that can be useful in a broader range of applications.
Steve
Jul 26, 2007 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who cooks
In terms of cooking technique, I doubt there has ever been a finer book written. Perhaps the quintessential reference guide. You may have other books for recipes, but this is the all-purpose book for showing you how to execute the techniques you need to do the actual cooking. For experts and beginners alike, I can't imagine a more valuable book to own.
Justin
Simply indispensable for the culinary autodidact. Mastering these essential techniques will forever sever the umbilical cord that chains the novice to recipes. With technique at your disposal, improvisation becomes possible, and improvisation brings the singular joy of creative satisfaction. An absolute must-own.
Emily
Jul 31, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emily by: My mom
The man is a master of his craft. You know how you can find a recipe for anything in the Joy of Cooking? Well, you can find a technique for anything in this book, from boning a chicken to rolling a galantine and making puff pastry, it's all there.
Rebecca Huston
This one, along with Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, will pretty much give you enough skills to tackle any recipe. An awful lot of good common sense is in this book.
Corey
Need to learn how to do something cooking related? Step-by-step pictures and simple explanations for most any cooking technique will blow your mind.
Adam Shaw
For any French Cooking technique with easy descriptions, this is that book!
Catherine Woodman
he is good, but I find him irritating
Kathryn Walker
Kathryn Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Babsie
Babsie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Roy Desimone
Roy Desimone marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Balogun Samson
Balogun Samson marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Escoffier Cookbook and Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery: For Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures Complete With 2973 Recipes
  • Culinary Artistry
  • Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing
  • The Professional Chef
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Think Like a Chef
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia
  • Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home
  • Alinea
  • Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
  • The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
  • The Classic Italian Cook Book: The Art of Italian Cooking and the Italian Art of Eating
  • Classic Indian Cooking
  • Bistro Cooking
  • Ad Hoc at Home
  • Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking
Jacques Pépin is a French chef, television personality, and author working in the United States.
More about Jacques Pépin...
The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food Jacques Pépin More Fast Food My Way La Technique: An Illustrated Guide to the Fundamental Techniques of Cooking