Start by marking “Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)” as Want to Read:
Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)

Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan #11)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,102 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Edge-of-Your-Seat Action from the Master of High-Flying Adventure Dale Brown is the author of fourteen New York Times bestsellers, and now he soars to new heights with this outstanding, realistic thriller of warfare and global politics that rivals any headline we can imagine.
On America's newest combat base, U.S. Air Force aerial warfare expert Major General Patrick McLan
Published (first published May 13th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Air Battle Force, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Air Battle Force

Henri Moreaux
#11 in the series with an ending which clearly foretells there will be a #12 following soon with only minimally more subtly than a bolded TO BE CONTINUED...

If there's one particular thing I take from this book it's that Patrick McLanahan is a terrible employee always seeming to be at odd with whatever it is his bosses want. No matter how seemingly reasonable or logical the request is, like a boundary testing toddler, McLananhan immediately does the opposite.

Passes the time, but there's better bo
Nick Greenwood
I read this and the next three Dale Brown, Patrick MacLanahan books in an ebook compilation. These are the first of his books that I've read, and almost certainly the last. I was looking for someone who could fill the gap left by the early Tom Clancy's (Red Storm Rising etc.) but I found these stories to border on the ridiculous. I can cope with the tub thumping American patriotism, but the thought of a General repeatedly carrying out unprovoked attacks on foreign targets and getting away with i ...more
George
Jul 24, 2016 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Ahhh McLanahan...he acts as the author would like. The thought of a General repeatedly carrying out unprovoked attacks on foreign targets and getting away with it again and again is really annoying. I see other characters, who act like real people, and I recognize them! The story/plot is actually intriguing; US intercedes in a Taliban/Russian fracas--though, I the tactics and thoughts of all three antagonists were all American. And, in typical Dale Brown style, we know all of the switches in the ...more
James
May 24, 2016 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast read for me!

I enjoyed the story and the characters in it, even the "bad" guys were well written.

Patrick McLanahan is up to his "hi jinx" again, not sure if I still "like" him or not. Still an enjoyable story and I will be looking forward to reading the next one as well.
Ed
Aug 17, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, action, thriller
#11 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, maverick USAF general, uses his futuristic weapons, including remote guided stealth bombers, to assist a Taliban guerilla leading Turkmen forces against a Russian invasion of Turkmenistan.
Austin Lookabill
Jan 05, 2015 Austin Lookabill rated it really liked it
Very detailed

Dale Brown is an amazing author, I have read many of his books. The detail in which he describes the planes and weapons used is like drawing a picture on the page.
Jim Bocko
Feb 10, 2015 Jim Bocko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McLanahan always seems to be at odds with his bosses. You should read this book to find out how things turned out this time. I listened to the audiobook.
Dennis
Sep 23, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book but I am enjoying the "Dreamland" series of books (written by Dale Brown and another author) better. Still, it's worth the read if you like high-tech action.
Jo
May 13, 2016 Jo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series but I listened to this book and it was hard to follow as an audio book. Will try to read it as well.
Jim
Aug 18, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fun, but definitely a bit fanciful.
Jim
Jan 14, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 of 5 stars for Air Battle Force by Dale Brown (Audio Abridged edition). Hard to tell if the choppy dis-connected nature of the book was an artifact of the abridgement or of the story. Alot of setup for the Nevada Air National Guard Air Battle Force group and their sci-fi aircraft and soldier battle armor. A little setup of a situation in the former USSR states. Even less of the ABF group resolving the issue. Overall, I was disappointed in how all of the sub-stories hung together. Can't recomme ...more
Chris
Jun 03, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I've read one of the books in this series. I liked it.
Josh L.
Feb 29, 2016 Josh L. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you like lengthy dialogue, long training scenarios, airforce management conflicts, and cursing- this is right up your alley.
Eric
Apr 02, 2016 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. It has been awhile since I have read any from the Battle Group series so this was a nice one to get back to. I haven't been reading the series in order so some of the background references might ruin it for me when I go back and read others. Overall I still enjoyed it.
Kt
Nov 08, 2011 Kt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Prefer to give it 2.5 stars. I enjoy most Dale Brown efforts, but this one fell short. Formulaic. I can't help but enjoy some of that formula because I like these types of stories, but it is not recommended for anyone but the hardcore Dale Brown fans. The story line is broken, confused, and completely unrealistic.
Clyn
Another solid performance by Brown in this book. One of the first, though with a clear lead in to the next book. I've really enjoyed this series, and find that Brown seems to know how much detail about technologic systems and flight minutia to include, and better, how much to leave out.
Doug
Jun 17, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-dale-brown
Wow, this guy is good. Here is another terrific story with great detail, good science, a hint of lust, and some super awesome air battles in Patrick McLanahan's exciting life. One character finds his story underdeveloped a bit, but it doesn't matter. Dudes: read this.
Ed Kovacs
Oct 02, 2011 Ed Kovacs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, fun, escapist, riveting futuristic action with crusty old warhorse Patrick McLanahan. More than a dozen novels in this series, and Brown keeps churning out the fun.
Chuck
May 05, 2010 Chuck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A futuristic "War In The Middle East" tale featuring a special U.S. Air
Force group. Mediocre story line with redundant dialogue. Not very
good.
Charles
Another fine book in the Mclanahan series. I like the progression that the main characters have taken throughout the series
Peter
Aug 28, 2010 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usual stuff, world political breakdown, Taliban, Russia overlords, insubordination in the US Army and high tech.
Ronald Searl
Feb 04, 2013 Ronald Searl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Dale Brown book. Very forward thinking in his military strategy based upon remarkable technology.
Rob & Liz
Thriller but too detailed in technical information. Good plot and future of modern airforce.
Rob
Derek
Mar 15, 2011 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So so story. A little too futuristic and a bit over consumed with the Air Force.
Daniel Hamad
May 17, 2015 Daniel Hamad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
I only managed to finish this book because I was so invested in the series.
Gary Barrentine
A lot of technical facts over character.
Jon Peters
Jon Peters rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), TH ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)