Start by marking “The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation” as Want to Read:

We have all grown increasingly aware of the potential -- and documented -- dangers of the chemical toxins that surround us. "The New Age Herbalist" is a compendium of healthy alternatives, an indispensable guide for contemporary natural living. Created by a team of experts, it offers:

A full-color illustrated glossary of more than 200 herbs, describing their properties, ac

Published November 30th 1988 by Fireside (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The New Age Herbalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Age Herbalist

Wicked Plants by Amy  StewartThe Botany of Desire by Michael PollanThe Drunken Botanist by Amy  StewartGarden Witch's Herbal by Ellen DuganCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
Hogwarts: Herbology
78th out of 87 books — 7 voters
The Green Beauty Guide by Julie GabrielThe Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann WorwoodHelp! There's a Vegan Coming for Dinner! by Karen  JenningsThe Taco Cleanse by Wes AllisonClean Eating Diet by John          Smith
Going Vegan & Green
7th out of 40 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Weavre
I'm a pretty strong skeptic when it comes to alternative healing; I want to see the evidence. That said, I and rather a lot of my friends and family have had very good results with some of the herbal remedies presented here, and often mainstream medicine backs up the use of the specific herbs recommended. So, this is one of just a couple home-remedy books I trust much at all.

It also has absolutely gorgeous full-color photographs to help identify both living and dried herbs.
Maryfaith
Jan 21, 2008 Maryfaith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Herbalists, Plant lovers, Men who like to dig,

I learned how to love herbs and identify them in the wild. Then to pick them, take'm home and cook delicious recipes with them..Mmmmm!

Dayna
Jan 02, 2010 Dayna rated it liked it
This is a handy reference book, not a read-straight-through book. The layout is really not conducive to reading it page by page. In fact, I really didn't care for it until I started thinking of it as a sort of herbal encyclopedia. Of course, that's what an herbal is. If I had gone into it with a full awareness of that fact, I probably would have liked it from the get-go. The book is divided into two sections. The first is a glossary of herbs. There are boxes with interesting tidbits, traditional ...more
Theresa
Nov 20, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it
This a good reference to alot of differnt herbs with both color and line drawings. Each has info on parts used, useful constituents (chemicals, etc.0 and it's main uses. Also suggestions on what herbs to use for various diorders.
Abby
Jan 30, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: another book, actually
This book is a fun way to learn about herbs and even gardening. I already had a small herb garden (yes, on the balcony of my apartment) when I got the book. Since then, I've made some changes to the plants I keep and harvest. I also started making my own all-natural beauty products, which is something I always wanted to do.
The book has helpful photos and illustrations as well as clear definitions and information about planting, and harvesting all sorts of herbs.
Christina
Feb 08, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Wonderful reference book. Full of valuable information and great pictures and drawings. I recommend this to anyone interested in Herbalism.
Tyshawn Knight
Apr 23, 2013 Tyshawn Knight rated it it was amazing
After you read "Back to Eden" buy this book primarily for the photos. If you live in an urban jungles like I do you might not know a weed from a caprifoliaceae. This book provides a photo, drawing or both for every herb it discusses. You will never be fooled by poison ivy again if you take this book with you into your garden!
Pam
Dec 13, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Excellent reference. I've used it many time for both medicinal and culinary herbs. The photographs make identification more clear. There's a section on herbs useful for dying wool that is helpful to knitters and one on herbs that repel insects for gardeners.
Jana
Apr 07, 2008 Jana added it
i'm moving this book to "read" because even tho i haven't read the whole thing it's more like a reference book that i will pick up to look stuff up. GREAT book, very informative, has lots of recipes for tinctures and lotions and soaps and such too.
Ranae
Jan 31, 2008 Ranae rated it really liked it
I love the way this book is layout. It has great color photographs of the herbs and helpful information. I hope to plant a herb garden this year, and this book looks to be a great help. This is my favorite book on herbs that I own.
ryn
Dec 19, 2009 ryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: herbalism
don't be fooled by the title, there's not much New Age about this herbal. it's an excellent first herbal, and made a solid go-to book for our initial apprenticeship program.
Plant Girl
Oct 26, 2007 Plant Girl rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, nature, own
I love the layout of this book, with plenty of color photographs of the herbs and helpful information. This is my favorite book on herbs that I own.
Janine
Jun 03, 2012 Janine rated it it was amazing
A good book and a bit of a rarity as it has the photos of the herbs as well to refer to. A good book for any serious herbalist
April
Sep 06, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: herbalism
Great book for any herbalist and novice alike. Can be used as a reference for herbal healing, cooking, beauty and so much more.
Maria
Dec 10, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Great book for home remedies. I have been using this book for years and it has saved me many trips to the doctor.
Mckinley
Oct 20, 2010 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, health
Good reference good just didn't use it ever.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 07, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: herbal seekers
Recommended to Kathleen by: Shatoiya Jones
One of my standard reference books.
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Elizabeth Hough
Elizabeth Hough rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Sonya
Sonya rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Nicole Bateman
Nicole Bateman rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
RUBEN VILLALPANDO
RUBEN VILLALPANDO marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Cattou
Cattou marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kate Dennis
Kate Dennis marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Artia M
Artia M marked it as to-read
Rachel Heerema
Rachel Heerema rated it it was amazing
  • The Way of Herbs
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Herbal Handbook: A User's Guide to Medical Herbalism
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Earl Mindell's New Herb Bible
  • Celtic Women's Spirituality: Accessing the Cauldron of Life
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Healing Remedies: Over 1,000 Natural Remedies for the Prevention, Treatment, and Cure of Common Ailments and Conditions
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • American Indian Secrets of Crystal Healing
  • The Goddess Path: Myths, Invocations, and Rituals
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • Tarot Spells
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
Richard Mabey is one of England's greatest nature writers. He is author of some thirty books including Nature Cure which was shortlisted for the Whitbread, Ondaatje and Ackerley Awards.
A regular commentator on the radio and in the national press, he is also a Director of the arts and conservation charity Common Ground and Vice-President of the Open Spaces Society. He lives in Norfolk.
More about Richard Mabey...