Start by marking “The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  16 reviews
We have all grown increasingly aware of the potential -- and documented -- dangers of the chemical toxins that surround us. "The New Age Herbalist" is a compendium of healthy alternatives, an indispensable guide for contemporary natural living. Created by a team of experts, it offers:

A full-color illustrated glossary of more than 200 herbs, describing their properties, ac

Published November 30th 1988 by Fireside (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The New Age Herbalist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Age Herbalist

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni WeschlerNourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon MorellSacred Plant Medicine by Stephen Harrod BuhnerThe Yoga of Herbs by David FrawleyThe Fourfold Path to Healing by Thomas S. Cowan
Favorite herbal/natural health books
52nd out of 52 books — 4 voters
The Green Beauty Guide by Julie GabrielThe Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann WorwoodThe Young Specialist Looks At Fungi; by Hans HsasThe New Age Herbalist by Richard MabeyCollins Complete British Mushrooms and Toadstools by Paul Sterry
Going Vegan & Green
4th out of 35 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Weavre
I'm a pretty strong skeptic when it comes to alternative healing; I want to see the evidence. That said, I and rather a lot of my friends and family have had very good results with some of the herbal remedies presented here, and often mainstream medicine backs up the use of the specific herbs recommended. So, this is one of just a couple home-remedy books I trust much at all.

It also has absolutely gorgeous full-color photographs to help identify both living and dried herbs.
Maryfaith
Jan 21, 2008 Maryfaith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Herbalists, Plant lovers, Men who like to dig,

I learned how to love herbs and identify them in the wild. Then to pick them, take'm home and cook delicious recipes with them..Mmmmm!

Dayna
This is a handy reference book, not a read-straight-through book. The layout is really not conducive to reading it page by page. In fact, I really didn't care for it until I started thinking of it as a sort of herbal encyclopedia. Of course, that's what an herbal is. If I had gone into it with a full awareness of that fact, I probably would have liked it from the get-go. The book is divided into two sections. The first is a glossary of herbs. There are boxes with interesting tidbits, traditional ...more
Theresa
This a good reference to alot of differnt herbs with both color and line drawings. Each has info on parts used, useful constituents (chemicals, etc.0 and it's main uses. Also suggestions on what herbs to use for various diorders.
Abby
Jan 30, 2008 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Abby by: another book, actually
This book is a fun way to learn about herbs and even gardening. I already had a small herb garden (yes, on the balcony of my apartment) when I got the book. Since then, I've made some changes to the plants I keep and harvest. I also started making my own all-natural beauty products, which is something I always wanted to do.
The book has helpful photos and illustrations as well as clear definitions and information about planting, and harvesting all sorts of herbs.
Tyshawn Knight
After you read "Back to Eden" buy this book primarily for the photos. If you live in an urban jungles like I do you might not know a weed from a caprifoliaceae. This book provides a photo, drawing or both for every herb it discusses. You will never be fooled by poison ivy again if you take this book with you into your garden!
Pam
Dec 13, 2013 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: health
Excellent reference. I've used it many time for both medicinal and culinary herbs. The photographs make identification more clear. There's a section on herbs useful for dying wool that is helpful to knitters and one on herbs that repel insects for gardeners.
Jana
Apr 07, 2008 Jana added it
i'm moving this book to "read" because even tho i haven't read the whole thing it's more like a reference book that i will pick up to look stuff up. GREAT book, very informative, has lots of recipes for tinctures and lotions and soaps and such too.
Ranae
I love the way this book is layout. It has great color photographs of the herbs and helpful information. I hope to plant a herb garden this year, and this book looks to be a great help. This is my favorite book on herbs that I own.
ryn
don't be fooled by the title, there's not much New Age about this herbal. it's an excellent first herbal, and made a solid go-to book for our initial apprenticeship program.
Plant Girl
I love the layout of this book, with plenty of color photographs of the herbs and helpful information. This is my favorite book on herbs that I own.
Janine
A good book and a bit of a rarity as it has the photos of the herbs as well to refer to. A good book for any serious herbalist
April
Great book for any herbalist and novice alike. Can be used as a reference for herbal healing, cooking, beauty and so much more.
Maria
Great book for home remedies. I have been using this book for years and it has saved me many trips to the doctor.
Mckinley
Good reference good just didn't use it ever.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 07, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: herbal seekers
Recommended to Kathleen by: Shatoiya Jones
One of my standard reference books.
Bob Arnold
Bob Arnold marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Deborah
Deborah is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Vidura Barrios
Vidura Barrios marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Silvia Egger-Gundevir
Silvia Egger-Gundevir marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Dalia
Dalia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Liz Ruffalo
Liz Ruffalo marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • The Way of Herbs
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Earl Mindell's New Herb Bible
  • Herbal Healing for Women
  • The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Healing Remedies: Over 1,000 Natural Remedies for the Prevention, Treatment, and Cure of Common Ailments and Conditions
  • Celtic Women's Spirituality: Accessing the Cauldron of Life
  • The Goddess Path: Myths, Invocations, and Rituals
  • Tarot Spells
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Medicinal Plants of the Mountain West
  • The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines
  • The Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
Richard Mabey is one of England's greatest nature writers. He is author of some thirty books including Nature Cure which was shortlisted for the Whitbread, Ondaatje and Ackerley Awards.
A regular commentator on the radio and in the national press, he is also a Director of the arts and conservation charity Common Ground and Vice-President of the Open Spaces Society. He lives in Norfolk.
More about Richard Mabey...
Food for Free (Collins Gem) Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature Nature Cure Turned Out Nice Again: Living with the Weather Flora Britannica