Start by marking “The Art of Electronics” as Want to Read:
The Art of Electronics

The Art of Electronics

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  825 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
This is the thoroughly revised and updated Second Edition of the single, authoritative text and reference on electronic circuit design--both analog and digital. It emphasizes the methods actually used by circuit designers--a combination of some basic laws, rules of thumb, and a large bag of tricks. This completely new edition responds to the breakneck pace of change in ele ...more
Published July 28th 1989 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Electronics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Electronics

Ed
Aug 01, 2007 Ed rated it it was amazing
This is kind of a no brainer, but I thought I should mention it. My only regret about this book is that I didn't get it years ago. I still don't own a copy, mind you, but I have finally figured out how to use the inter-university-library-loan system to borrow it more or less permenantly. But that's not really the review.

ANYWAY, everything you ever wanted to know about electronic circuits is touched upon in here. Whether it is dealt with in sufficient detail, or whether the author will actually b
Nick Black
this is a minor cult classic among EE's and CmpE's, or at least was at GT. i saw it on someone's desk today at NVIDIA, was reminded that i'd intended to look into it, and needed only a few pages to convince me of a winner. looks fantastic!
Garnethoyes
Apr 10, 2013 Garnethoyes rated it it was amazing
Probably the best Electronics book ever written. Very readable, practical, and understandable even for those without good background. Makes the subject fun !

A new edition is in the works so I'm told.
Hollowman
Apr 18, 2012 Hollowman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, reference, hrdbk, own
Last update to this classic was in 1989. Still quite useful (=timeless) and my fave electronics reference. This book is actually FUN to read.

Looking forward to the much-anticipated forthcoming 3rd edition:
Robert Hume
Apr 14, 2013 Robert Hume rated it really liked it
This book favors an intuitive understanding over the endless math found in electrical engineering textbooks. It is the perfect "what they don't teach in school" electronics book. I highly recommend it for any electrical engineering student or graduate for the transistor chapters alone. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it is dated. However, for those interested in 1960s-1980s vintage analog synthesizers, this turns out to be a plus.
Sanchayan Maity
Jan 12, 2015 Sanchayan Maity rated it it was amazing
I have just started reading this. Currently reading the third chapter. I wish i would have come across and read this book in my college days. It makes one aware of how to do design, for example, a common emitter amplifier, as if it's a piece of cake. This book seems to be damn good on its own. Use it along with a good book which covers the analysis of circuits and it should cover most of the needs of any practicing engineer.
Jonatron
Dec 28, 2007 Jonatron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in electronics
I haven't read this, technically; it's a large book I use for reference. But it's very well-written and explains things in an intuitive way that I never really learned in college. Much better than the typical textbook.
Muntasim Ul  Haque
Mar 10, 2014 Muntasim Ul Haque rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read in this field. It has covered almost every topic you would encounter in the study of electronics. It's described in plain English in a simple tone. Unlike other books in this field, it's not boring. You would love to read it.
Sergey
Mar 23, 2016 Sergey rated it it was amazing
Серьезная книга для серьезного чтения. Мозг взрывает хорошо.
Ryan
Apr 19, 2014 Ryan rated it it was amazing
This is a must own for anyone interested in electronics.
Vladd
Sep 20, 2011 Vladd rated it it was amazing
Con toda el agua que ha corrido desde la última edición de este clásico, bien podría suponerse que un libro de Electrónica de esta edad es tan pintoresco y caduco como un manual renacentista de metalurgia. Sin embargo la claridad de los esquemas y la sabiduría que atesora son un referente firme y sensato en medio de un mar de recetarios advenedizos, 'datasheets' no muy bien revisados y kits irreflexivos. Bien podría fundarse una fe en este libro que sabe recomendar qué hacer y qué no (sus "bad c ...more
Dwight Walker
Jan 24, 2016 Dwight Walker marked it as to-read
Shelves: electronics
authoritative text on electronics
Sachith
Jul 18, 2015 Sachith rated it it was amazing
good
Abhilash
Oct 09, 2014 Abhilash is currently reading it
uyui
Ashish Mishra
Oct 04, 2014 Ashish Mishra rated it really liked it
za
Sep 10, 2007 za rated it it was amazing
Buku wajib para pecinta dunia elektronika. Buku ini disertai ilustrasi-ilustrasi yang konyol namun informatif. Membuat pembaca, lebih mudah memahami konsep-konsep khayalan di bidang elektronika.
Sandeep Polisetty
Apr 21, 2015 Sandeep Polisetty rated it did not like it
Generic Will need to have a second read after
reading a book based on more mathematics
Vivek Khurana
Mar 23, 2011 Vivek Khurana is currently reading it
One book that covers end to end of electronics. I you understand basic physics and maths, you can understand electronics through this book.
Erik
Dec 29, 2015 Erik rated it really liked it
Shelves: some-other-time
I'm taking this off of my currently-reading list. Instead, I'll read it as I need to. What I've read so far is stellar.
Tim Colgan
Sep 16, 2011 Tim Colgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-books
Probably dated now. But this is the book I read after getting my EE degree to learn how to do real design in the real world.
Bill
Jan 08, 2012 Bill rated it liked it
Great reference book. Covers some hairy electronics with relatively easy to read/easy to understand language.
Tor Paulin
Nov 22, 2012 Tor Paulin rated it really liked it
Shelves: electronics
Great book for anyone dealing with electronics. Even bad circuit ideas are included for reference ;-).
Aug 04, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Still getting through it, but it's a must-have for anyone breaking into electronics
Thomas
May 15, 2013 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Unbeatable... the electronics bible. Not an easy read - but great reference
Stephen Baker
Sep 07, 2009 Stephen Baker rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference book for all things electronic.
Sifis
Apr 18, 2013 Sifis rated it really liked it
Shelves: engineering
The old time classic reference book in electronics
خالد بيومي
Nov 27, 2012 خالد بيومي rated it it was amazing
The godfather of all electronics books , love it
croson
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • Getting Started with Processing
  • Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »