The Art of Electronics

The Art of Electronics

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This is the thoroughly revised and updated Second Edition of the single, authoritative text and reference on electronic circuit design--both analog and digital. It emphasizes the methods actually used by circuit designers--a combination of some basic laws, rules of thumb, and a large bag of tricks. This completely new edition responds to the breakneck pace of change in ele...more
Published July 28th 1989 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Electronics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Electronics

Ed
This is kind of a no brainer, but I thought I should mention it. My only regret about this book is that I didn't get it years ago. I still don't own a copy, mind you, but I have finally figured out how to use the inter-university-library-loan system to borrow it more or less permenantly. But that's not really the review.

ANYWAY, everything you ever wanted to know about electronic circuits is touched upon in here. Whether it is dealt with in sufficient detail, or whether the author will actually b...more
Nick Black
this is a minor cult classic among EE's and CmpE's, or at least was at GT. i saw it on someone's desk today at NVIDIA, was reminded that i'd intended to look into it, and needed only a few pages to convince me of a winner. looks fantastic!
Joecolelife
Apr 19, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
If this is not the best (and only) entertaining book on electronics, it is at least a requirement to read of every student who wishes to learn electronics the fun way; the way it should be taught! I'm returning to it after having put it off a long time; so I'm starting from the first chapter and doing almost every excercise as I go. I find that the student manual is just as invaluable as the book. Everything seems to make perfect sense everywhere.
Has anyone worked out Excercise 1.6. My answer i...more
Garnethoyes
Probably the best Electronics book ever written. Very readable, practical, and understandable even for those without good background. Makes the subject fun !

A new edition is in the works so I'm told.
Hollowman
Last update to this classic was in 1989. Still quite useful (=timeless) and my fave electronics reference. This book is actually FUN to read.

Looking forward to the much-anticipated forthcoming 3rd edition:
Jeff
good reference for someone interested in electronics...
Muntasim Ul Haque
One of the best books I've read in this field. It has covered almost every topic you would encounter in the study of electronics. It's described in plain English in a simple tone. Unlike other books in this field, it's not boring. You would love to read it.
Ryan
This is a must own for anyone interested in electronics.
Vladd
Con toda el agua que ha corrido desde la última edición de este clásico, bien podría suponerse que un libro de Electrónica de esta edad es tan pintoresco y caduco como un manual renacentista de metalurgia. Sin embargo la claridad de los esquemas y la sabiduría que atesora son un referente firme y sensato en medio de un mar de recetarios advenedizos, 'datasheets' no muy bien revisados y kits irreflexivos. Bien podría fundarse una fe en este libro que sabe recomendar qué hacer y qué no (sus "bad c...more
croson
best electronics reference book
Robert Hume
This book favors an intuitive understanding over the endless math found in electrical engineering textbooks. It is the perfect "what they don't teach in school" electronics book. I highly recommend it for any electrical engineering student or graduate for the transistor chapters alone. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because it is dated. However, for those interested in 1960s-1980s vintage analog synthesizers, this turns out to be a plus.
Sanchayan Maity
I have just started reading this. Currently reading the third chapter. I wish i would have come across and read this book in my college days. It makes one aware of how to do design, for example, a common emitter amplifier, as if it's a piece of cake. This book seems to be damn good on its own. Use it along with a good book which covers the analysis of circuits and it should cover most of the needs of any practicing engineer.
Jonatron
Dec 28, 2007 Jonatron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in electronics
I haven't read this, technically; it's a large book I use for reference. But it's very well-written and explains things in an intuitive way that I never really learned in college. Much better than the typical textbook.
za
Buku wajib para pecinta dunia elektronika. Buku ini disertai ilustrasi-ilustrasi yang konyol namun informatif. Membuat pembaca, lebih mudah memahami konsep-konsep khayalan di bidang elektronika.
Vivek Khurana
Mar 23, 2011 Vivek Khurana is currently reading it
One book that covers end to end of electronics. I you understand basic physics and maths, you can understand electronics through this book.
Tim Colgan
Probably dated now. But this is the book I read after getting my EE degree to learn how to do real design in the real world.
Bill
Great reference book. Covers some hairy electronics with relatively easy to read/easy to understand language.
Tor Paulin
Great book for anyone dealing with electronics. Even bad circuit ideas are included for reference ;-).
Still getting through it, but it's a must-have for anyone breaking into electronics
Thomas
Unbeatable... the electronics bible. Not an easy read - but great reference
Stephen Baker
Excellent reference book for all things electronic.
Sifis
The old time classic reference book in electronics
خالد بيومي
The godfather of all electronics books , love it
Dawn
Still use as a reference manual.
Mark Macaraeg
Mark Macaraeg marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Gopu Ravi
Gopu Ravi marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Shanna
Shanna marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
  • Computer Networks
  • Programming Perl
  • Signals and Systems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
The Art of Electronics Student Manual Laboratory Manual for the Art of Electronics Physiological & Performance Determinants in Manned Space Systems (Science & Technology Ser) Twice Blessed: On Being Lesbian, Gay, and Jewish