Start by marking “The Navigator” as Want to Read:
The Navigator

The Navigator

The story of one man's search for an uncharted, legendary island to which all navigators are said to go on the eve of their deaths. A tale of high adventure, ancient mystery and modern men and women rediscovering love, comradeship and tribal life, in the face of primal terrors.
Published February 20th 1992 by Mandarin (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Navigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Navigator

Foxfire
Mar 04, 2013 Foxfire rated it it was ok
Great concept of a man in search of a secret island and a group of people ending up marooned on it. I had to "speedread" a lot as the pace was too slow for me.

This book is not about adventure and adversity in alien surroundings. It is about the psychology of individuals in a closed society.

A few things bothered me:

The writing style is unusual - long passages of dialogue without any indication of who is speaking, or any action or desription. Only words coming out of people's mouths. These passa
Erika Maria
Jun 13, 2016 Erika Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Una historia fácil de leer, no importa si es una isla Polinesia o una ciudad moderna, las relaciones humanas son complicadas.
Warren
Apr 14, 2016 Warren rated it did not like it
I've come to expect so much from Morris West, and he let me down badly with this one. In fact, it was so bad I had to give up and put it down. Truly awful, one-dimensional, stereotyped characters, turgid dialogue, a hackneyed plot. There wouldn't be a strong enough rope on Earth to suspend my disbelief at how the yacht ends up wrecked on that island. I had difficulty believing Morris West actually wrote this tripe, but I suppose it's the rare author who doesn't have at least one turkey. Yes, I'm ...more
Brian
Feb 02, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
This behaves like and has the structure of a traditional novel, but due to the setting and the course of events that lead the characters into certain situations where a certain knowledge and mode of thinking becomes critical to the plot, a very unique quality becomes apparent and the book takes on a mysterious feel.

I like the author as a writer, and he seemed dedicated to crafting a story around the idea of a tribal, Polynesian way of men's and women's relationships with each other and their com
Janet
Jun 28, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just re-read this book for the first time in perhaps twenty years. I've had a copy on my physical bookshelf all this time, carried it to college and through numerous moves, even though it took me this long to come back and read it again.

It's an intense and challenging story of a hodgepodge of modern people shipwrecked on an uncharted island, led by a half-Polyneian/half-caucasian man who is the descendent of a line of navigators, inheritor of the mana of his ancestors.

Morris West is a fine
William Clifford
Apr 08, 2015 William Clifford rated it it was amazing
A spiritual journey across the Pacific. A trek into the unknown by way of folklore handed down through hereditary lines by word of mouth. Suspenseful and fulfilling.
Erika
Aug 16, 2010 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spp
Así como hay que estar inspirado para escribir un libro, creo firmemente que también hay que estarlo para leerlo. Y creo que yo no lo estaba para el momento en que leí este libro.

Creo que Morris West trato de crear un retrato de la vida en la cual pudieramos ver reflejados muchos de los conflictos internos que tenemos la mayoría de los humanos mientras vivimos, mientras nos relacionamos con los demas, mientras buscamos un sentido al camino que estamos siguiendo. Hay que estar muy atento a lo qu
Rita McFrita
Jan 14, 2016 Rita McFrita rated it really liked it
Mid-level pace, but the ending will blow you away.
Christle Southall
A good book that keeps you interested the entire read.
Guillermo Ramón Gil
Jan 16, 2016 Guillermo Ramón Gil rated it it was amazing
Excelente novela de un gran autor.
Gregory Lamb
Apr 28, 2013 Gregory Lamb rated it liked it
There is a lost art in the Pacific Basin. The Polynesians taught and preserved their secrets of Navigating the open ocean for many years, but sadly today, this knowledge is becoming lost. West's adventure story is an elementary fiction that uses the Polynesian Navigators of old as a central theme. The story also presents a brief sociological account of what happens to a small group of people when they become marooned on an island where resources are plentiful.

Although the story is really basic,
Kenji
Aug 20, 2012 Kenji rated it liked it
Interesting story conjuring the ancient journeys of Polynesian mariners as they explored deep unknowns hundreds of miles offshore from their native lands. The Hawaiian cultural connections in pidgin seemed a little hokey, and the jealousy of crazy husbands and paired off couples could have used a dose of subtlety, IMHO. Fascinating tale, nevertheless.
Francesco
May 01, 2016 Francesco rated it it was ok
5/10
Jeff Dickison
An odd, but fairly interesting book, of a group of individuals who hunt a legendary South Pacific Island. In no way should this book be compared to "Lord Of The Flies" and this is not an action-adventure tale. The book is more concerned with the interworkings of various groups of peoples in adverse situations.
Vesten
Aug 17, 2010 Vesten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó, el hombre es todo un tratadista, y si puedes leer más allá de la mera historia y animarte a descubrir el transfondo te das cuenta que es un viaje a lo mas profundo de la naturaleza humana.
Monia
Mar 29, 2009 Monia rated it it was amazing
Was hoping for a sequel. If he wrote it, I'm not aware of it. But it appeals to my adventuresome self.
Read some time in the late 70's
Don Ravago
Mar 04, 2009 Don Ravago rated it it was amazing
Take this book to the beach and stay there until you finish it. Lord of the Flies has nothing on The Navigator, hands down.
Mona Hernandez
Aug 18, 2010 Mona Hernandez rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia lineal con un gran fondo sociológico y psicológico, sin embargo, por nada del mundo lo volvería a leer.
Narr
I'm eager to start. West hasn't let me down yet.
Gretchen Bunnell
Gretchen Bunnell rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Manu Aneja
Manu Aneja rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Susan K.  Dubarry
Susan K. Dubarry rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Paula Flynn
Paula Flynn marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Josep Lasierra Bentue
Josep Lasierra Bentue marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Faster
Faster rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2016
  • Goodbye California
  • Sedmikostelí
  • Viva O Povo Brasileiro
  • The Devil Soldier
  • The Six Messiahs (The List of Seven, #2)
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • The Goodbye Look
  • O casamento
  • Almost Adam
  • Murder in the East Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #12)
  • Women Who Write
  • The Children of the Wind
  • Journey from Venice
  • Shadows on the Coast of Maine (Antique Print, #2)
  • A Drama In Livonia
  • Dead Before Dying
Morris Langlo West was an Australian novelist and playwright, best known for his novels The Devil's Advocate (1959), The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), and The Clowns of God (1981).
His works often were focused on international politics and the role of the Roman Catholic Church in international affairs. One of his most famous works, The Shoes of the Fisherman (1963), envisioned the election and ca
More about Morris L. West...