Start by marking “Dreadful Sorry” as Want to Read:
Dreadful Sorry

Dreadful Sorry (Time Travel Mystery #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,151 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Molly's recurrent nightmares become waking visions after she nearly drowns at a party. Soon she's witnessing events through the eyes of a girl who lived in her father's house nearly a century before.
Published May 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dreadful Sorry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreadful Sorry

Bonnie
As a young child, I was always at the library... always reading. This is one of my favorite novels from my childhood. A decade or two later, I still remember this novel in vivid detail for some odd reason (even though I can't remember anything useful from yesterday). Suffice it to say, this is a great novel for a young child/teenager, highly recommended!
Aly. Miller
I love the suspense and twistd in this book. It was hard for me to put this one down. Now this is a book that'd i like to see get turned into a movie!
Trista
Oh my darlin’, oh my darlin’, oh my darlin’ Clementine, you are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry Clementine.

Seventeen-year-old Molly has had a recurring nightmare her entire life— she is walking down a long hallway to the end room, where she knows something horrible is happening. She also has an incurable fear of water, and continues to hear that old Clementine song in her head. After a near-drowning experience at a pool party, she leaves to spend the summer with her father in his new house
Melody Mirage
The first time I read this book, I was completely captivated by Dreadful Sorry and the story of Clementine Horn. This time around, I found the beginning of the book hard to get through. It's pretty much just Molly, the main character, having vague nightmares and whining about swimming lessons. I was thoroughly annoyed with her and her controlling mother throughout the first several chapters.

The story really picks up when Molly goes to visit her father and stepmother in Maine and discovers the h
Jessica Flores
Don't you hate that feeling when you wake up in a cold sweat from a dream you thought was real? Dreadful Sorry by Kathryn Reiss is about Molly, a young teen terrified of the water, struggles to keep reality and her dreams of Clementine (a girl who Molly believes she has reincarnated into) separate from each other. Hints and clues along the shoreline of her father's beach house lead her to expect that reincarnation and reliving someone else's life is able to happen.

Molly is a seventeen year old
Srilekha
Dreadful sorry was a book intricately woven yet lucid. The storyline was great, touching upon the topic of reincarnation and ghosts in an innovative manner. The book keeps one gripped till the last page and wanting more. I would have given it a 5 star, one star fell short due to the ending. It was too predictable, was hoping for more twists and a more mature ending, though overall it gives a comfy feeling when reading it sitting by the window with rain pattering outside. I wouldn't give away the ...more
Joty
This was one of the books I got when I was younger at a book fair. It's the most tattered book on my bookshelf simply because I keep going back to it whenever I have a chance. It's a simple read, I finish it within the day. But it's a good book to read whenever I want to re-visit my childhood favorites.
Eman
May 19, 2010 Eman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sahar Rashed, Tessa Johnson
A very thrilling book full of twists and turns, but only to twist and turn again! The hairs on my neck were standing while I read this book. This book is filled with suspense and I just wish it was endless. Thanks Kathryn Reiss for giving me an AMAZING nightmare!
Ellen
I read this when I was eleven or twelve, and it got stuck in my head. I'm not sure why, because it's not a spectacular story. I had to track it down once I joined BookMooch and reread it, and I enjoyed the nostalgia.
Tammie
A good creepy ghost story.
Holly
I normally don't like reading older YA books (I stick to older middle grade generally) but I didn't realize this was YA until I started. I've been wanting to read Kathryn Reiss's Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story & Time Windows, but I haven't come across them yet. I came across a copy of Dreadful Sorry, and recognizing the author, I decided to try it. It's not bad.

I don't have a lot to say about this book. If you want a plot description, other reviews have written that up, so I w
Amani
*Minor spoilers*

I was originally excited by the concept of this story but ultimately feel that it was poorly executed.

I didn't enjoy the author's writing style at all; it seemed more descriptive rather than creative, like it would have been more suited to non-fiction.The dialogue was so bad that it in places became unintentionally comical; the exchanges between Molly and her crazy, swim lesson-obsessed mother spring to mind. The Edwardian dialogue seemed plain incorrect, I struggled to imagine t
Anita
Here is another annoyance. In pretty much all the YA mystery/thriller books I've read lately, there is a super annoying mother. And for some reason it's always the mother. The father either completely backs up the mother or else the father is the "understanding" parent but for some reason can't overthrow the mother's wishes.

In every one of these books, the mother is a cold, SUPER practical person who reacts violently to their child's experiences, saying that their child is either lying or imagin
Whenever I see an old building or structure I often ask myself what life was like when it was first constructed. What were the people like a century ago? Did they walk down the same road that I took and think the same things that I was thinking? Were they happy or sad? Did they find their life partner and have kids or maybe regret not finding that special someone? This book is about a young woman that experiences something similar to what most people have felt every now and then. It is about Mol ...more
Vanessa
This is literally the 6th time I have read this book!!!!

It's a great book about a girl who starts remembering her past live and you start to see the links between both her lives. As the book pulls you in you start to connect all these pieces together and realize that there is a reason she has started to remember and it is not just for love.

This book takes place in a quaint little town on the water in main and you fall in love with it wishing you could visit and meet the other characters for real
Runa
Read this one a few years earlier, still as amazing as ever. It's not my favorite of Kathryn Reiss's books, but they're all so ridiculously good! Mystery with every bit of suspenseful goodness, history, and a touch of romance and psychological thriller, all in one great book. Not sure how she does it, but she does. Reiss' stories are always full of the randomest [and BEST] plot twists, never predictable and never repeated. You really can't listen to the "Clementine" song the same way ever again ...more
Nicole
Meh. This would have been a better book for a fifth or sixth grader. I would have liked it as a companion piece to "Wait Till Alice Comes" or "Ghosts I Have Been" when I was in middle school. The problem with this book is that there is no real threat to the main character after the initial incident revealed in the book description on the back of the book. That was the most compelling and creepy incident. I think that all the danger was to people she didn't really even care about very much, so it ...more
Carol
One of my favorite novels that I encountered in my school library during my childhood. A great, suspenseful novel for a child, that they won't be able to put down.
Raina
one of the best books ive read in my life time. i read it years ago but i still love to go back and reread it the story line is exalent! this book has my full coodoes!
Olivia
This is the first book I ever read twice! I have loved this story since I read it many years ago as a child. Very intriguing story and keeps you guessing.
Margaret
Mar 24, 2014 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2014
Not a story I thought I would like - the characters are "channeling" past lives - but surprisingly it was better than anticipated.
Amanda
This is a very good books and as I have said before I love anything by this author.

This book is so good, it has twists through out it. I love Kathryn Reiss and I know she is not a very famous author but I wish more people would read her she is amazing.

I love the poem:
Oh My Darling
Oh My Darling
Oh My Darling Clemintine
You are lost and gone forever
Dreadful Sorry Clemintine

When I look at lakes/oceans today I always think of this book and what could really be at the bottom of the lake or ocean what
Camilla
I haven't read this book in ages but I remember it being quite good. A very interesting story.
Samantha Nicholson
For as long as she can remember, Molly has been plagued by nightmares and an overwhelming fear of water. Little does she know that in a past life, she was a young woman named Clementine Horn, who, in an attempt to flee a life of servitude, drowns at sea along with a young man who was in love with her. Now, it's up to Molly to discover what really happened and help Clementine atone for her selfish actions, finally putting her spirit to rest.

Although the story is a bit long, it is very intriguing.
Hannah
Read this in either middle or high school, and I really liked it.
Gabrielle
Easily one of my favorite childhood books.
Natsu
sebenernya sih ceritanya lumayan untuk dibaca, sayang intronya panjang banget..
separuh buku (atau mungkin lebih) isinya muter2 disitu aja ga nambah isi cerita yg signifikan, macam sinetron yang bertele2 ga penting..
Lydia
Dreadful Sorry was a fantastic read! The character-Molly is passionate, caring, and carries the story well. Weiss weaves other great and memorable characters in through many different relationships: mother, friend, romantic interest, stepmother, father. Also, the storyline itself is hooking and and consistent of fantastic variety. Dreadful Sorry contains adventure, fright, love, desperation, and care, and is an overall enveloping read that will keep one reading until it's done.
Wendy
This book was dorky. After reading a few pages I had to see when it was written. I figured it had to be the 60's, what with the choice of some words the author used, but it was 1993. Perhaps the author was just ancient or something. The mother of the main girl was emotionally abusive to her and she never got her comeuppance. In fact, nobody even thought her behavior was more than just strict mom behavior. The "mystery" was't hard to figure out.
Maddy
I actually read this book YEARS ago. Probably like when I was in Middle school, but now and than I still think about the book. Is it something I would enjoy now? Maybe. It definitely is more suited for a teenage/hormonal period in life. But the plot was original and fresh when I was young and kept me on the edge of my seat. Takes the song "Oh my darling Clementine" which is already slightly creepy and adds some thrills.
  • A Deadly Game of Magic
  • The She
  • The House Next Door
  • Legacy of Lies (Dark Secrets, #1)
  • The Traitors' Gate
  • A Heart Divided
  • The Third Eye
  • A Ghost in the House
  • Drawing the Ocean
  • The Presence: A Ghost Story
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • Conversations with the Devil
  • Picture Perfect
  • The Secret of Fern Island  (Shivers, #12)
  • The Haunting Hour: Chills in the Dead of Night
  • Five Mile House
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Sunny: Diary 1 (California Diaries, #2)
Kathryn Reiss was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Ohio, and received B.A. degrees in English and German from Duke University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. After college, she lived in Bonn, Germany as a Fulbright Scholar, and during this time wrote the first draft of her first novel.

Ms. Reiss has been a Writer in Residence for the Princeton Arts Council, a re
More about Kathryn Reiss...

Time Travel Mystery (4 books)
  • Paint by Magic
  • Pale Phoenix
  • PaperQuake: A Puzzle
Time Windows PaperQuake: A Puzzle Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12) Blackthorn Winter