Start by marking “Dreadful Sorry” as Want to Read:
Dreadful Sorry

Dreadful Sorry (Time Travel Mystery #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,291 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Molly's recurrent nightmares become waking visions after she nearly drowns at a party. Soon she's witnessing events through the eyes of a girl who lived in her father's house nearly a century before.
Published May 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dreadful Sorry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreadful Sorry

Bonnie
May 09, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
As a young child, I was always at the library... always reading. This is one of my favorite novels from my childhood. A decade or two later, I still remember this novel in vivid detail for some odd reason (even though I can't remember anything useful from yesterday). Suffice it to say, this is a great novel for a young child/teenager, highly recommended!
Aly. Miller
Nov 11, 2007 Aly. Miller rated it really liked it
I love the suspense and twistd in this book. It was hard for me to put this one down. Now this is a book that'd i like to see get turned into a movie!
Sam
Jan 28, 2016 Sam rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Okay, so I actually enjoyed this book despite the rating I gave it. The story was interesting and definitely drew me in. But the beginning of the book was slow. I also feel like the writing wasn't that good. I did like Molly and her dad. Paulette was annoying, but also adorable and waaaay more tolerable than Molly's mother. Overall, not a bad book at all.
Trista
Jun 20, 2011 Trista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Oh my darlin’, oh my darlin’, oh my darlin’ Clementine, you are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry Clementine.

Seventeen-year-old Molly has had a recurring nightmare her entire life— she is walking down a long hallway to the end room, where she knows something horrible is happening. She also has an incurable fear of water, and continues to hear that old Clementine song in her head. After a near-drowning experience at a pool party, she leaves to spend the summer with her father in his new house
Melody Mirage
Mar 06, 2013 Melody Mirage rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The first time I read this book, I was completely captivated by Dreadful Sorry and the story of Clementine Horn. This time around, I found the beginning of the book hard to get through. It's pretty much just Molly, the main character, having vague nightmares and whining about swimming lessons. I was thoroughly annoyed with her and her controlling mother throughout the first several chapters.

The story really picks up when Molly goes to visit her father and stepmother in Maine and discovers the h
Jessica Flores
Don't you hate that feeling when you wake up in a cold sweat from a dream you thought was real? Dreadful Sorry by Kathryn Reiss is about Molly, a young teen terrified of the water, struggles to keep reality and her dreams of Clementine (a girl who Molly believes she has reincarnated into) separate from each other. Hints and clues along the shoreline of her father's beach house lead her to expect that reincarnation and reliving someone else's life is able to happen.

Molly is a seventeen year old
Aurora
Nov 12, 2015 Aurora rated it it was amazing
Thrill. Excitement. Horror. All of the words describe the book named “Dreadful Sorry”, written by Kathryn Reiss. Molly, a junior in high school,17 years old has been having these strange Recurring dreams with a house filled with water, she believes she is in a drowning state. She had them when she was little, but they went away. However Molly's inability to swim makes her passing the swimming test for school impossible. After a near death experience she went and moved in with her dad, only to f ...more
Srilekha
Mar 28, 2014 Srilekha rated it really liked it
Dreadful sorry was a book intricately woven yet lucid. The storyline was great, touching upon the topic of reincarnation and ghosts in an innovative manner. The book keeps one gripped till the last page and wanting more. I would have given it a 5 star, one star fell short due to the ending. It was too predictable, was hoping for more twists and a more mature ending, though overall it gives a comfy feeling when reading it sitting by the window with rain pattering outside. I wouldn't give away the ...more
Joty
Feb 13, 2012 Joty rated it really liked it
This was one of the books I got when I was younger at a book fair. It's the most tattered book on my bookshelf simply because I keep going back to it whenever I have a chance. It's a simple read, I finish it within the day. But it's a good book to read whenever I want to re-visit my childhood favorites.
Eman
May 19, 2010 Eman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sahar Rashed, Tessa Johnson
A very thrilling book full of twists and turns, but only to twist and turn again! The hairs on my neck were standing while I read this book. This book is filled with suspense and I just wish it was endless. Thanks Kathryn Reiss for giving me an AMAZING nightmare!
Sarah Crawford
Jan 14, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is a story that involves time travel, but also involves something akin to possession. Molly has always been terrified of swimming, yet she has to pass that class or she will not graduate. (Which I consider massively stupid, especially with her GPA.) A guy ends up throwing her in a swimming pool and she nearly dies.

From there on the mystery deepens as Molly seems to be living in two different times and two different bodies, and it ends up someone else is. We learn about Clementine and what h
Ellen
Jul 16, 2009 Ellen rated it liked it
I read this when I was eleven or twelve, and it got stuck in my head. I'm not sure why, because it's not a spectacular story. I had to track it down once I joined BookMooch and reread it, and I enjoyed the nostalgia.
Tammie
A good creepy ghost story.
Holly
I normally don't like reading older YA books (I stick to older middle grade generally) but I didn't realize this was YA until I started. I've been wanting to read Kathryn Reiss's Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story & Time Windows, but I haven't come across them yet. I came across a copy of Dreadful Sorry, and recognizing the author, I decided to try it. It's not bad.

I don't have a lot to say about this book. If you want a plot description, other reviews have written that up, so I w
Amani
Apr 06, 2014 Amani rated it it was ok
*Minor spoilers*

I was originally excited by the concept of this story but ultimately feel that it was poorly executed.

I didn't enjoy the author's writing style at all; it seemed more descriptive rather than creative, like it would have been more suited to non-fiction.The dialogue was so bad that it in places became unintentionally comical; the exchanges between Molly and her crazy, swim lesson-obsessed mother spring to mind. The Edwardian dialogue seemed plain incorrect, I struggled to imagine t
Anita
Jun 26, 2008 Anita rated it did not like it
Here is another annoyance. In pretty much all the YA mystery/thriller books I've read lately, there is a super annoying mother. And for some reason it's always the mother. The father either completely backs up the mother or else the father is the "understanding" parent but for some reason can't overthrow the mother's wishes.

In every one of these books, the mother is a cold, SUPER practical person who reacts violently to their child's experiences, saying that their child is either lying or imagin
Jun 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Whenever I see an old building or structure I often ask myself what life was like when it was first constructed. What were the people like a century ago? Did they walk down the same road that I took and think the same things that I was thinking? Were they happy or sad? Did they find their life partner and have kids or maybe regret not finding that special someone? This book is about a young woman that experiences something similar to what most people have felt every now and then. It is about Mol ...more
Vanessa
Dec 10, 2012 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
This is literally the 6th time I have read this book!!!!

It's a great book about a girl who starts remembering her past live and you start to see the links between both her lives. As the book pulls you in you start to connect all these pieces together and realize that there is a reason she has started to remember and it is not just for love.

This book takes place in a quaint little town on the water in main and you fall in love with it wishing you could visit and meet the other characters for real
Runa
Jun 08, 2008 Runa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this one a few years earlier, still as amazing as ever. It's not my favorite of Kathryn Reiss's books, but they're all so ridiculously good! Mystery with every bit of suspenseful goodness, history, and a touch of romance and psychological thriller, all in one great book. Not sure how she does it, but she does. Reiss' stories are always full of the randomest [and BEST] plot twists, never predictable and never repeated. You really can't listen to the "Clementine" song the same way ever again ...more
Jackie
Sep 17, 2015 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book because it is very suspenseful and intriguing. Clementine's past was more interesting than the present in my opinion, but the story is still good nonetheless. I just didn't like the mother because she is insensitive about her daughter's death. There is a line between knowing when to persevere and when to end.
Nicole
Jul 25, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Meh. This would have been a better book for a fifth or sixth grader. I would have liked it as a companion piece to "Wait Till Alice Comes" or "Ghosts I Have Been" when I was in middle school. The problem with this book is that there is no real threat to the main character after the initial incident revealed in the book description on the back of the book. That was the most compelling and creepy incident. I think that all the danger was to people she didn't really even care about very much, so it ...more
Irena
Aug 07, 2015 Irena rated it it was amazing
I don't know how many times I read this book when I was younger. Now, nearly a decade later I finally found out what the name of the book is. I love it! This book is haunting, it always left me with chills, but I would recommend it to anyone older than 10.
Kenzi
Apr 28, 2016 Kenzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
A very intriguing mystery!

While I have read this time and time again, it never grows old.

"Oh, my darlin', oh my darlin', Clementine- You are lost and gone forever"

The old song itself is enough to give anyone chills, but the way Kathryn Reiss spun together this exquisite novel is amazing. I fell in love with the story of Molly Teague and Jared Berstein falling for each other when the people they were reincarnated from in the first place met a gruesome ending.

Little Abner- switching between Mol
Corinne
Oct 27, 2015 Corinne rated it it was amazing
It's crazy to say, but this book got me into reading when I was younger. I devoured this book in an evening and craved more thriller novels. A great book for teens and young adults.
Carol
Apr 15, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite novels that I encountered in my school library during my childhood. A great, suspenseful novel for a child, that they won't be able to put down.
Raina
Mar 24, 2015 Raina rated it really liked it
one of the best books ive read in my life time. i read it years ago but i still love to go back and reread it the story line is exalent! this book has my full coodoes!
Olivia
Dec 27, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read twice! I have loved this story since I read it many years ago as a child. Very intriguing story and keeps you guessing.
Margaret
Mar 24, 2014 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2014
Not a story I thought I would like - the characters are "channeling" past lives - but surprisingly it was better than anticipated.
Lindsey
Mar 19, 2016 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: younger readers that dig the paranormal
Shelves: spooky-scary
I absolutely loved this book when I was 12 and even held up alright when I read it as an adult. A good one for young readers.
Alle
Feb 11, 2016 Alle rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved it and I want to read it again because its been a few years but the ideas have still lingered in my mind.
  • A Deadly Game of Magic
  • The She
  • The Traitors' Gate
  • The House Next Door
  • The Third Eye
  • Drawing the Ocean
  • Out of the Dark
  • Legacy of Lies (Dark Secrets, #1)
  • A Heart Divided
  • Black Mirror
  • Someone Is Killing the Gay Boys of Verona
  • Twice Taken
  • In The Stone Circle
  • Encyclopedia Horrifica: Terrifying Truth About Vampires, Ghosts, Monsters, and More
  • The Trespassers
  • Conversations with the Devil
  • Picture Perfect
  • The Secret of Fern Island  (Shivers, #12)
Kathryn Reiss was born in Massachusetts, grew up in Ohio, and received B.A. degrees in English and German from Duke University, and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. After college, she lived in Bonn, Germany as a Fulbright Scholar, and during this time wrote the first draft of her first novel.

Ms. Reiss has been a Writer in Residence for the Princeton Arts Council, a re
More about Kathryn Reiss...

Time Travel Mystery (4 books)
  • Paint by Magic