Start by marking “In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)” as Want to Read:
In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures, #3)

In The Face of Danger (Orphan Train Adventures #3)

Shy Megan Kelly cannot forget the day a gypsy read her palm announcing to all that she would bring trouble to those around her. Afterward, trouble does follow her, until she takes the necessary steps to free herself from the burdens of fear, loneliness, and superstition.
Published July 1st 1996 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about In The Face of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In The Face of Danger

Tracy
Mar 23, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read Megan's part of the series the first time around years ago, so I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed it. Poor Meg got the "Beth March" edit, the shy, quiet, boring one, and as a result, is easily overlooked both in the story and to the reader. It is a shame, because In the Face of Danger is not only better written than the first two books in the series, but also a great (and realistic) tale.

In In the Face of Danger, Meg is sent to live far away from her brothers and
Becky
I remember reading these as a child and I absolutely loved them. I figure if the memory of a book has been able to stick with me for over twenty years it deserves four stars. I also remember that these were the first characters I cried for in a book, the first time I was moved to an outburst of emotion by written word. Those are the types of things that stick with a bibliophile.

Read in fifth grade.
Ruthe Turner
Mar 25, 2017 Ruthe Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this 3rd book in the juvenile series, “The Orphan Train Adventures,” Megan Eileen Kelly has been adopted by a nice couple who take her to live on the prairie in Kansas. Meg has always been unsure of herself, ever since a fortune teller once told her she was a “bad penny” that brought “bad luck.” Meg thinks every bad thing that happens proves the fortune teller right, and she fears her new parents will not want her. Her new mother reassures her that people should not be crippled by silly super ...more
Tracy
Mar 12, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing

In In the Face of Danger, Meg is sent to live far away from her brothers and sis
Jessica Richins
Jun 09, 2010 Jessica Richins rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-literature
The third book of the Orphan Train Adventures follows Megan. She is separated from her siblings, and adopted by a young couple in the Kansas Territory just before Abraham Lincoln is elected president. She feels as though she is a bad luck penny because a gypsy once told her she was one. While living with her new parent, Megan learns to adapt to her new life and learn that she is more than just a bad luck penny.
Like the other Joan Lowery Nixon books I think the book was only mediocre at best. I d
Brian
Feb 20, 2012 Brian rated it really liked it
Megan is a lot like Luke from the book Among the Hidden. Megan is a girl separated from the rest of her family to go live with the Browders in the west. Luke is a third child of a family and in his community they're not allowed to have more than two children. These two have plenty in common. They both are missing out in something very meaningful and healthy for life. Megan will not be able to experience some things you can only experience with your family. Luke will never be able to know what it ...more
Jared M
Apr 09, 2015 Jared M rated it really liked it
In the Face of Danger by Joan Lowery Nixon was a good book. It had suspense and a good story line.
The book was about one of the original kids from the book The Orphan Train. Megan is a young girl who goes off to live with new parents, Ben and Emma, on the prairie. For most of Megan's life she has thought she was curse by an evil gypsy. The story is about her over coming this belief and starting to believe in herself.
I would recommend this book to anyone that has read the Orphan Train books or
Janie  R. Freeman
Feb 09, 2016 Janie R. Freeman rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in this series, and though some of plots were sad, I enjoyed reading the historic timelines, and the character descriptions were so well done, that they seemed very realistic. This book was actually based on true stories from during the middle 1800's, so many of the children's parents came from Irish immigrants, and were looked down upon in New York, where they lived in impoverished conditions.
Katielin317
May 05, 2015 Katielin317 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
My daughter and I loved reading this whole series together. There are so many things to discuss. The background of the story itself is a difficult one, but the main characters (the 6 children) are such wonderful examples of all sorts of admirable characteristics. My least favorite was the last book, as the ending was too unrealistic.
Jacque
Mar 15, 2015 Jacque rated it really liked it
We loved the lesson of self worth in this book. My youngest, whom doesn't usually enjoy chapter books as much, loved this book. She loved all the animals mentioned in it, and thought Megan was "super smart!"
Marissa García
Dec 16, 2013 Marissa García rated it liked it
Historical fiction that is solid, but nothing earth shattering.
Elizabeth Gondek
Jan 15, 2015 Elizabeth Gondek rated it it was amazing
I really like how each book tells the story of one of the Kelly children.
Xyndi
Jan 04, 2012 Xyndi rated it it was amazing
it was a good story
Kate Matson
Dec 31, 2015 Kate Matson rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely pleasing. There wasn't any horribly sad endings and it will also help you overcome any fear.
Katie
Feb 04, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok
Remembered reading this series as a kid and wanted to reread.
Tyler
Mar 28, 2008 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Boys and Girls of all ages
This is another orphan train book and it along with all the other one's are amazing!
Leslie
Sep 25, 2013 Leslie added it
nice!!!
Elaine
Dec 23, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!
Frank
Jan 29, 2017 Frank rated it liked it
Based on true experiences.
Bookworm
Out of the whole series, Megan was my favorite; She's the one I sympathized with the most, (well, who couldn't love Mike either?), but her story is the best!
X
Jul 08, 2016 X rated it really liked it
A much faster read than the others so far. Not as much description it seemed. Still a great series!! If you like Little House on the Prairie you'll like these!
Jessica
Jan 06, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
My favorite book in the Orphan Train series! I recommend it to all fans of historical fiction!
Heather
Jan 13, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
#3 of the orphan train series. Very predictable.
Cws
Feb 12, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Nix
Deborah
good
Cairn
Feb 15, 2013 Cairn added it
good
Jen
Jun 06, 2010 Jen rated it it was amazing
These were my absolute favorites as a teen, I read them several times over!
Rshelite
Feb 28, 2010 Rshelite rated it really liked it
third book in the orphan train series.
Summer
Sep 09, 2016 Summer added it
good
Annie
Apr 27, 2009 Annie rated it it was amazing
Very good! There were some interesting things to be learned from this story.
  • My Daniel
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Searching for Shona
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • Charley Skedaddle
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Me and My Little Brain (Great Brain #3)
  • The Gentleman Outlaw and Me--Eli
  • Gentle Annie
  • Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?
  • Tortilla Sun
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • True to the Old Flag
  • The Floating Circus
  • Sacajawea
  • The Junkyard Dog
  • Beetles, Lightly Toasted
  • Midnight in the Dollhouse (Apple)
Author of more than one hundred books, Joan Lowery Nixon is the only writer to have won four Edgar Allan Poe Awards for Juvenile Mysteries (and been nominated several other times) from the Mystery Writers of America. Creating contemporary teenage characters who have both a personal problem and a mystery to solve, Nixon captured the attention of legions of teenage readers since the publication of h ...more
More about Joan Lowery Nixon...

Orphan Train Adventures (7 books)
  • A Family Apart (Orphan Train Adventures, #1)
  • Caught in the Act (Orphan Train Adventures, #2)
  • A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)
  • Keeping Secrets (Orphan Train Adventures, #5)
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • Circle of Love (Orphan Train Adventures, #7)

“Life is not easy. We all have problems-even tragedies-to deal with, and luck has nothing to do with it. Bad luck is only the superstitious excuse for those who don't have the wit to deal with the problems of life. ” 105 likes
“There's more to getting to where you're going then just knowing there's a road.” 32 likes