Start by marking “Just Enough Liebling: Classic Work by the Legendary New Yorker Writer” as Want to Read:
Just Enough Liebling: Classic Work by the Legendary New Yorker Writer

Just Enough Liebling: Classic Work by the Legendary New Yorker Writer

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Abbott Joseph Liebling was one of the greatest of all New Yorker writers, a colorful figure who helped set the magazine's urbane tone and style. Just Enough Liebling gathers in one volume the vividest and most enjoyable of his pieces. Charles McGrath (in The New York Times Book Review) praised it as "a judicious sampling-a useful window on Liebling's vast body of writing a ...more
Published October 5th 2005 by North Point Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Just Enough Liebling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Enough Liebling

Rick
The dust jacket photo shows a middle-aged man, wide-shouldered with an avalanche of weight falling downward below the frame. He is bald, jowly, wearing round wire-rimmed glasses. He looks directly at the camera, his head turned slightly from a three-quarter angle to do so, a pen gripped like a thin bone in his mouth. Lillian Ross, a New Yorker colleague, took the photo. It’s exceptional. He looks wary, though pretend wary, serious but with a twinkle of self-mockery. He looks like what he was, a ...more
GT
I can't remember how I came across this book, but like many others I own, I was probably browsing in the discount books section somewhere and this book, and author, intrigued me enough to lay out $5 or so. Subsequently it went up on my shelf and I didn't read it. When I'd see it there I'd look at it, leaf through it, put it back on my shelf and think, maybe someday...

Apparently that day came shortly after Christmas 2013...

At first I wasn't sure what I was in for. Several chapters on eating in ni
Gnarly Authenticity .
In Leibling's world, an Underwood is always "battered" and a Jewish tailor is invariably "little". He deals in stereotypes; and does so very well.

Like Joseph Mitchell, he's prone to obviously fabricated expository dialogue. Like Mitchell, he's also fascinated with gluttony. Lists of dishes and heroic feats of trenchermanship are a recurring theme in both authors--seafood for Mitchell and French cooking for Leibling.

In the background of his tales of petty promoters, prizefighters and charming al
Ryan Williams
WW2, food, Harold Ross, boxing, conmen and more from one of the great reporters. On par with his justly celebrated (if unjustly more celebrated) contemporary, Joseph Mitchell.
Claudia
Great reading mostly. Gets a little tiresome if read cover to cover...better to dip into.
Pat Falkner
A classic New Yorker writing about the funner parts of World War II, boxing, and Earl Long, among other subjects. The boxer that Cassius Clay boxed in his first New York fight, before he was Muhammad Ali, was from Tupelo, MS. Earl Long was governor of Louisiana, Huey's brother. Read about the racist way he helped black people get ahead in the 50's. Liebling quotes Long reporting about how mistakes have consequences: "My uncle got drunk and pulled a man out of bed and got in bed with the man's wi ...more
Ramesh Prabhu
A.J. Liebling is hailed as the first of the great New Yorker writers, a "colourful and tireless figure who helped set the magazine's urbane style".

It was in April 2010 that I finished reading Just Enough Liebling, an anthology of his articles from the New Yorker. Read these excerpts and you will get an insight into the ingredients of great writing: http://goo.gl/xkskS (The Reading Room)
Edy
Nov 12, 2007 Edy added it
"I have known out-of-towners on newspapers whose primary urge toward journalism had been a consuming desire to escape from Iowa." (p 414)

He's a great writer, but a lot of the topics didn't really interest me. To echo a previous (albeit facetious) reviewer, "more than enough Liebling" for me.
Tracy
I just love this guy. I read this on the Kindle but wish I'd bought the real thing for easy access to my favorite essays. Look, when someone makes his voyage from England to the US in 1939 on a tanker really interesting, take note.
Teddy
A.J. Liebling writes about food, boxing, WWII, con men, and food. It's awesome. The obits for Hearst and Theodore Dreiser are awesome too.
Malcolm Moore
The food writing from Paris, and the piece on the Jollity building in New York, are the best writing I've ever read. Total delight.
Sylvia
dude was a glutton. but boy, he wrote about it in a way that made me want to be a glutton.
Ted
Fantastic work from a paradigm of the New Yorker style, a style that I would gladly make out with.
Jonathan
A little more than enough Liebling.
(Actually I really like most of this stuff.)
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Arun
Arun marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Mila Grey
Mila Grey marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Corinne Higgins
Corinne Higgins is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Stephaniemoreton
Stephaniemoreton marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Hanny
Hanny marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Smash
Smash marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • Imagined Worlds
  • The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book
  • Getting Personal: Selected Essays
  • The Essays of Leonard Michaels
  • Southern League: A True Story of Baseball, Civil Rights, and the Deep South's Most Compelling Pennant Race
  • Writing Los Angeles: a Literary Anthology
Between Meals: An Appetite for Paris The Sweet Science The Earl of Louisiana The Telephone Booth Indian A Neutral Corner: Boxing Essays

“What an epithet can be derived from that—“Frivolous philologist!” For thirty years I have been waiting for a chance to use it, but every time I get into an argument with a savant, he turns out to be of some other persuasion—a psychologist, perhaps, or a podiatrist. The neck my knife would fit has never presented itself.” 0 likes
“The sight of a pretty woman had an airborne chemical effect, like nerve gas. It relaxed the rubber band around his wallet.” 0 likes