Start by marking “The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life” as Want to Read:

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,202 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
A hard-hitting and no-holds-barred broadside from the anchorman of the Fox News Channel's The O'Reilly Factor--what's good about America (plenty), what's bad(plenty still), and what's completely ridiculous (most everything else).

Every night on the Fox News Channel, Bill O'Reilly tells it like it is. The O'Reilly Factor is the fastest-growing cable news program--and that's
Published September 12th 2000 by Crown Archetype (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The O'Reilly Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The O'Reilly Factor

Mariam
Jul 16, 2015 Mariam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The entirety of the male species is sex starved! They are no more than a bunch of horny bastards, according to Bill O’Reilly’s Sex Factor. Men think of “NOTHING” but sex and rightly so because that’s just the way they are – sex starved monsters. “If we aren’t having sex on a daily basis, we are thinking about it all the time. I mean, all the time” (p.29)… “Women to men are just sex objects and no matter what a man says to you ladies, he is lying. He just wants to sleep with you”!!!!

Papa Bill has
Sean
Jan 26, 2008 Sean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: socio-cultural
I read this one on a bit of a dare to myself, to check out something I usually wouldn't get near. You may be able to tell that Mr. O'Reilly isn't really 'my cuppa'.

My father (who likes Bill a *lot* and is a regular Fox News viewer) owns this book and I found it while staying at the folks' place.

It seems to be pretty much what you get on O'Reilly's TV program. He stresses his "working class" Irish-Catholic roots, charts his rise through various network news jobs and of course, tells the reader wh
Jonathan
Sep 24, 2007 Jonathan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the dead of winter, with no TV, no internet, no sunshine to brighten my life, I turned to Bill O'Reilly to warm my cold, lonely nights. I read this book mostly because I wanted to challenge myself, to see if I could read his entire book without vomiting. I succeeded in finishing this book and not becoming violently ill. The only side effect was the nightmares, nightmares about intolerable, insensitive individuals who pollute and inhibit sensible dialogue. Individuals like Mr O'Reilly.
Francis Berger
Nov 04, 2012 Francis Berger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I don't why the heck I read this. I must have been in an extremely masochistic mood when I checked it out from the local library. If subjecting myself to pain was my ultimate goal that afternoon, this book certainly did not disappoint. It was painful to read all the way through.

This book is even more painful than his t.v. show. On television O'Reilly is able to mask his vast stupidity by raising his voice and screaming at everyone and everything within a two-mile radius of his anc
Steph (loves water)
Sigh. Mr. O'Reilly is an extremely intelligent man and a decent writer. He is definately *not* my cup of tea and I rarely watch his show. That said, I did find myself, much to my horror, agreeing with him on the class situation in the U.S. I did not agree with his stance on drug addiction and alcoholism (as an Irish-American, he outght to know better!)

His views on children and discipline seem reactionary. I've often wondered if his daughter, who was an infant at the time the book was written, e
Mitch
Jan 11, 2009 Mitch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
His books read like they were taken straight from a transcript of his show, with little editing or addition.

I don't mean that as a compliment either.

This guy seemed so fresh when he first started out with the "no spin zone" now it seems that instead of "fair and balanced" he (and the rest of his station) try to provide a balance.

Anyway, I would probably try to read another one if they were actually written instead of cobbled together from his on air transcript material. This kind of 'book' is j
Linda
Feb 03, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've never watched Fox News nor (until this book) did I know anything about Bill O'Reilly. I enjoyed the historical context of his books The Killing of Patton and The Killing of Jesus and still would like to read Killing Lincoln. With that in mind I picked up the O'Reilly Factor at the local library, just to get a look into the person of Bill O'Reilly himself. Written 14 years ago, it was interesting to see that O'Reilly had strong thoughts about the Clintons and Donald Trump even then. The book ...more
Jeannie
Oct 28, 2012 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, maybe because I agree with O'Reilly's value system...there are a few points I took a "whoa point of view", but I have to agree with the majority of basic principles of honor, honesty, understanding and loyalty that resonated with me. His parenting chapter was spot on!

I would like an update of this book since it was written in 2000 to see what changes have taken place in his mind-sight if any. (Maybe "Patriots and Pinheads" will fulfill that request.

Why did I read this book?
Philip Boling
Apr 19, 2010 Philip Boling rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in American politics
Easy read, and fairly frequently I read something I appreciated.

75% of all physical abuse against helpless little kids is committed by inebriated adults... Alcohol is involved in fully half of all murders, accidental deaths, and suicides in the United States and in almost half of all fatal car accidents... pg 58
...drug testing is possible now for about a dollar a test... "in" Alabama ... All prisoners are now tested as soon as they are booked. The majority -no surprise- have drugs or alcohol in
Brendan
Aug 08, 2010 Brendan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. He's a cranky old guy who believes earnest garbage like 'this country was great a generation ago.' He's the rich white uncle who worked hard, made a ton of mistakes, recounts them here and now feels privileged to look down on the needy. Jackass? You bet, and proud of it. He espouses the retro-corrected mush of 'Leave it to Beaver' and its ilk as being authentic portrayals of American values.

O'Reilly also has the #1 rated opinion program on a "news" network; not to be confused with a news
Curtis
Apr 24, 2015 Curtis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had heard enough soundbytes of Bill O'Reilly spouting off to have a very negative impression, but when I found this audiobook used, for a dollar, I thought I would give him a fair try. At first, I found myself agreeing with so many of the values and beliefs he stated, and was surprised to hear him rant as much about the rich, corporate power-mongers as Hilary Clinton. But this was written in 2000, just before the Bush/Gore election, and perhaps he had not made the transition fully to the dark ...more
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2010 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was under the impression this would be a read about Mr. O'Reilly's views of American Life-I was wrong. This was, primarily, a book about Mr. O'Reilly's life and experiences. Parts were interesting and mildly entertaining, but most of it was a snooze fest into O'Reilly egomania. If you wish to know many boring details from Mr. O'Reilly's childhood and job history experiences, with him acting like a jackass most of the way, this is definitely the book for you.
Miranda Davis
Please, someone, neuter this man. It will calm him down and make him less vicious, ask any veterinarian.
Mr. O'Reilly himself is one of the worst, completely ridiculous things in American life today. I read this as a library book, looking for laughs and not being willing to underwrite his special, rabid brand of fiction. How can I explain this man's point of view: think Karl Rove after being bitten by a foaming-at-the-mouth skunk.
Luaba
Sep 30, 2014 Luaba rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: society
This month, I endeavour to read books by others I do not share ideology with, and Bill O'Reilly was my first one. It was a difficult book for me to get through, it seemed that the author was just writing things to be provocative for shock value only.

Simply disappointing.
Steve
Feb 02, 2016 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love him or hate him, the book was typical "Bill O'Reilly". Pompous, outspoken and perhaps in love with himself? I give O'Reilly credit for his book writing skills but he comes across in some of his books as an Ann Landers or a know it all. Seems like Bill is married with a daughter, but doesn't comment on either one of his family as much as he does in some books about his parents and upbringing. This book was very critical and demeaning of former president, Bill Clinton which grew a bit stale t ...more
Gpsz
Jan 05, 2014 Gpsz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Me, me, me, me, me. If you like that sort of thing.
Alan Hoffman
Reading this book eight years after it was published (before 9/11) gives it an interesting perspective. Here and there he makes a point. Also, sometimes he says things that are surprising, like complimenting Susan Sarandon on her charitable work. Would his forced drug treatment idea he suggests in Chapter 5 work? I’m curious to ask someone who would know more about it.

His first chapter discusses feelings of inadequacy he developed toward people of higher economic and social classes as he grew up
Joseph Bruno
Jan 02, 2011 Joseph Bruno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“The O’Reilly Factor,” written by Bill O’Reilly in 2000, is the second in a list of books he’s written, since he began his Fox News nightly show, which now has become the most viewed show on cable television. The first book he wrote was called The No Spin Zone, which he penned a year earlier.

In “The O’Reilly Factor,” O’Reilly is his old irascible self ( writing with wit) twenty chapters on various subjects like “The Class Factor,” “The Money Factor,” “The Sex Factor,” and “The Ridiculous Factor.
Carrie
Jul 26, 2014 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was with him for most of the first half of the book. I even strongly agreed and enjoyed a lot of those beginning chapters. As the book went on, though, it started to be more and more like aimless rambling that never got to making a point. Ended up feeling like a waste of time once I reached those final pages.
Jim Serger
Aug 06, 2014 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book written way back when-- however his take on people, influence, ego, demenar, abortion, government and so on has not skipped a beat from then till now--very well spoken, clear and to his point. If you like his show, who will like this book--want to hear no spin on his take read this book, very bold--yet resonates with me.
Kevin Kirkhoff
Dec 24, 2013 Kevin Kirkhoff rated it really liked it
Shelves: societal
Although I don't agree with all of O'Reilly views, he makes some compelling arguments. Best of all, he backs up his discussions with facts. You can debate the type of solution to a problem, but he'll have you agreeing that there IS a problem. I love his TV show (The O'Relly Factor), and his book is written in much the same vein. This book is very easy to read. He writes about various "factors" that affect our country and it's inhabitants. His topics (chapters) include Class, Money, Sex, Media, S ...more
EffinghamPL
Jul 14, 2016 EffinghamPL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Joe Esquivel
Oct 19, 2015 Joe Esquivel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome and full of great insights.Bill Oreilly is fantastic.There is a reason he show is number 1 Its the truth www.divineebooks.com
Daniel
Mar 04, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, after three straight weeks in the lab, a bulletproof phrase I've created: "If that wasn't intended to be ironic social commentary you've certainly nailed it inadvertently."
Roxanne
Sep 02, 2015 Roxanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is hot mess. He rambles all over the place, not the books he usually writes.
Grant Landbo
Sep 03, 2015 Grant Landbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long book, but it makes you think. Very pleased with it.
Mat Rueter
Aug 11, 2014 Mat Rueter rated it really liked it
That the word "parochial" means: pertaining to a parish; narrow or limited in scope.
Brad H
Sep 20, 2007 Brad H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes the O'Reilly show
I learned a lot about Mr. O'Reilly. At times i think this book is interesting, and even motivating to get involved. At other times, i feel like i was just reading complaints or shallow insults about others. I think his style is good and I appreciate the straight shooting from Bill, just keep in mind that its from Bill, so it may not align with what i would call accurate shooting on every topic.
Apr 27, 2009 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good O'Reilly book that makes you think and form your own opinions. Like other books I have read by O'Reilly, each chapter is its own topic. I enjoyed the formatting of some of his other books better, but nonetheless it was good. Come chapters were much better then others, some being quite weak, something I wouldn't have expected from Bill. Quick, easy read.
Christopher
Jul 08, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love or Hate the man he speaks the truth as he sees it and I give him a lot of credit for that. This book was excellent though I may not agree with everything the man says he does it with a passion for his views. The book was a good read and well worth taking a look at. O'Reilly gives you what he deems worthy of sharing and I liked that about the book.
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right
  • See, I Told You So
  • Unfit For Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Churches, Schools, and Military
  • The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • The Ten Things You Can't Say in America
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • America by Heart: Reflections on Family, Faith, and Flag
  • Losing Our Religion: The Liberal Media's Attack on Christianity
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
  • Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media...
Bill O'Reilly is an American television/radio host, author, syndicated columnist, and political commentator. He is the host of the cable news program The O'Reilly Factor. Prior to hosting The O'Reilly Factor, he served as anchor of the entertainment program, Inside Edition.

O'Reilly also hosts The Radio Factor, a radio program syndicated by Westwood One, and he has written seven books.

More about Bill O'Reilly...