Start by marking “D.Gray-man, Volume 02” as Want to Read:
D.Gray-man, Volume 02

D.Gray-man, Volume 02 (D.Gray-man #2)

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  6,279 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky:

Set in a fictional end of the 19th century England, the story revolves around a teenage boy named Allen Walker who is cursed with a cross mark on his hand that turns his arm into an enormous weapon, which he uses to hunt down and kill akumas. An akuma, generated by a 1,000-year-old phantom, is implanted into a human's soul duri

Published August 1st 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about D.Gray-man, Volume 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.Gray-man, Volume 02

Magdalen
Feb 19, 2017 Magdalen rated it really liked it
One: I am enjoying it
Two: Kanda ohhh i love him already.
Nick
Feb 12, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Overall Rating: B-
Synopsis: The plot revolves around Allen Walker, an Exorcist, in the end of the 19th century Europe. Allen is a member of the Dark Order, a group of Exorcists connected with the Vatican. Their mission is to stop The Millennium Earl, an evil ghoul intending to cleanse the world by destroying all the humans in the manner of Noah's great flood. In the first volume, we get some back story, learn that exorcists kick ass, have a clubhouse, and don't play well with others.

D. Gray-man
Stewart Tame
Sep 03, 2015 Stewart Tame rated it liked it
This volume may bring a tear to your eye. Have the tissues hand. Still seems like a fairly generic shonen series to me, but I can't quite figure out why. It's got a great villain, influences of goth and steampunk ... it's just missing ... something. The art is not the greatest, a little too busy and muddy for my liking. Some calculated use of white and/or black open spaces would really improve it, I think. You've seen all these shonen character types before. I'll give it one more volume to impre ...more
Brandi
Dec 21, 2015 Brandi rated it really liked it
Katsura Hoshino's "D. Gray-man, Vol. 2: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky" is an enjoyable shonen manga, but I just feel like it's missing something that I cannot put my finger on. The art is okay; it could be a bit crisper, but I have certainly seen worse.

Allen Walker is a likable character, and the villains are cool as well, it just feels like a garden-variety plot. I'll probably try the next volume in the series to see if it improves a bit.
Wickedshizuku
Feb 03, 2013 Wickedshizuku rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anime fans, Manga fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Anime-planet.com
We start off with this vol. with Chapter 8: Mission Start.
Kanda and Allen set off on the wrong foot in the cafeteria. Their opinions completely differ like opposites of the same coin. Elsewhere near an abandoned city an innocence has manifested itself, and the Akuma have been drawn to it. Kanda and Allen are assigned to find the innocence. Also the Akuma are starting to evolve and get stronger. Read for yourselves to witness an excellent story.
Amy
Read a book only after sunset, check! I chose to read a manga, of course, and I'm glad to continue this series. Even though the sentiments of this manga reminded me a lot of FMA, but I'm curious to find out more about where this manga is leading to and the main character's noble heart touched me, all the time. I guess this is why shonen manga is popular. So hopefully this series will become better! 3.5 stars!
Veronica Morfi
Sep 07, 2013 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing
I can't describe how much in love I am with D.Gray-Man. It is the one Manga tha can always make me cry and laugh in just a few pages. I am so glad I started buying the Manga issues 'cause I am dying to own the whole collection. Also, I am dying to know what happens next... Hopefully Katsura Hoshino will go back in writing soon!
Feather Mista
Sep 19, 2010 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mangueros en general
Recommended to Feather by: Obligación laboral
Otro tomo que entretiene y no mucho más pero muestra bastante potencial para seguir leyendo la serie. Eso sí, al menos por ahora, el dibujo le saca bastante ventaja al guión.
Tamojit
Aug 09, 2012 Tamojit rated it liked it
Recommended to Tamojit by: Ayşe Nur
Shelves: manga
Well, the ending was a bit sad... But, glad that both Kanda and Allen teamed up to destroy that Akuma..
Mehsi
Another great volume, still recognise a lot of things. And it is so fun to see how Kanda and Allen keep on fighting in a silly way. :)
Natalia
Dec 10, 2016 Natalia rated it really liked it
"Even so, I still want to be a destroyer who can save others"

Holy crap, I don't even know what to say about this one.
Deborah Takahashi
Mar 29, 2013 Deborah Takahashi rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-manga
Alan Walker is a very special young man who's arm is a powerful source of power that can destroy demons, called Akuma; Akuma's are dead souls brought back to life by grieving loved ones that are trapped in vessels controlled by the Millenium Earl. In order to combat these demons, Alan becomes an exorcist for an organization called "the Black Order." However, the Earl has called upon the Noah family to destroy the generals since they are immune to Innocence.As the Noah's continue to slaughter gen ...more
Robert Beveridge
Katsura Hoshino, D. Gray-Man vol. 2: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky (ViZ, 2004)

After I read the first volume of D. Gray-Man some time ago, I didn't quite get all the hype, which comes from everyone from the expected otaku right down to the reviewer at Publishers Weekly, who calls the series “...a fantastic vision of Victorian England.” I'm starting to get it a little more, having now read the second volume as well, but it still doesn't rank with the classics, IMO. I'll give it a f
Tara (SwagMaster3000)
Welp, another D. Gray Man manga read... and honestly not that much is different from the first volume.

As I wrote in my review for Volume 1, this series is similar to many other supernatural manga series. I was expecting some real character development in this volume, though I did not see much of any character except Kanda, who I did not find to be very likable, but who I guess serves his purpose for supplying Dem Hot Yaoi Ships(TM). The art style was still rather hard to follow, as there was a
MissAnnThrope
Feb 22, 2013 MissAnnThrope rated it it was ok
22 February 2013

D.Gray-Man: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky, Vol. 2 sends Allen Walker and Yu Kanda off to Italy to retrieve an Innocence discovered in the region. They encounter a creepy akuma with the ability to evolve its eerie powers.

This volume is full of action, but the drawing is so confusing that it's often times hard to figure out what is going on. The doll storyline was meh. I did enjoy Walker and Kanda butting heads. The contrast of Walker's kindness and Kanda's cold-hea
Bonnie
Jun 24, 2008 Bonnie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: someone who likes Tim Burton films.
This volume was an awful lot of action with not a lot of plot. I found the fight scenes difficult to follow, simply because it was hard to identify who was doing what. The use of sound in the fight scenes was funny, but also added to the confusion. I really enjoyed the first volume and the amount of backstory it gave for Allen, but I feel like this volume decided it wasn't going to give anything away except for annoying little lines that seem really cliche ("I can't die until I find that person" ...more
Emma Adams
The second volume of D.Gray-Man is where it won me over the first time around. The series follows Allen Walker, an Exorcist - one of those chosen by a divine substance called Innocence to fight against the sinister Millennium Earl, who steals human souls to make demons known as Akuma. In this volume, Allen and Kanda, a fellow exorcist, travel to a cursed town to defeat an Akuma and get to the roots of a mystery surrounding a life-like doll.

Allen is cursed to see the soul of any human trapped wi
Bbabri
Sep 08, 2013 Bbabri rated it it was amazing
Igazából túl sok mindent nem tudok írni erről a kötetről.
Allen és Kanda kapnak egy küldetést.A két fiú nem igazán jön ki egymással,bár ez inkább Kanda miatt van,mert elég mogorva és magának való.De nekem ő az egyik kedvencem! :-)
Megérkeznek a küldetés helyszínére.Állítólag egy Innonence van abban a városban.
Megjelennek az a akumák is.És a harc kezdetét veszi.
Kanda persze kijelenti,hogy nem fog segíteni Allen-nek.De végül mégis segít neki,bár akkor is morogva.
Megtalálták az Innonence-t,de eléggé
Kereesa
May 22, 2011 Kereesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Bleach or Full Metal Alchemist
The second volume in the D.Gray-Man series mostly revolves around our buddy Allen <3 and his adventures obtaining one of the innocence with the aid of the sullen and obviously has a dark past Kanda (who I totally thought was a chick at first glance :P)
As always the plot and characters are wonderful. I was enraptured by this volume and loved the little tidbits we got not only about Allen but about Kanda as well. The art style seems to get a bit more consistent and it works really well for the
Ubalstecha
Mar 05, 2012 Ubalstecha rated it really liked it
Allen Walker is sent out on his first mission for the Dark Order. Along with Yu Kanda, Allen is sent out to find an innocence that has emerged in the world. A source of mystical power, the innocence is used by the Dark Order to create weapons. In the hands of an Akuma, it would give the ghoul unlimited power.

Allen and Yu race to reclaim the Innoncence, but things become more complicated when a living doll and the ugly child who built her come into play. Allen has to make choices between saving o
Jody
Jun 04, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
So, this is the 2nd manga in this series, and, I was kind of disappointed.

I still really enjoyed the story, or what little story was there. This one was a much faster read than the first. I just found that most of this book was taken up with action frames, and left very little for any kind of a story. Either way, I still gave it 4 stars.

Another thing I found about this vol. was the constant jumping around, it got kind of confusing.

I still gave this one 4 stars because underneath it all, I still
Jessica
Mar 20, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Kanda and Allen don't necessarily see eye to eye, but they must team up and search for a reported Innocence sighted in Italy, trapped inside a doll created by the former inhabitants of the now-abandoned city. The akuma are there looking for it as well and have arrived before Kanda and Allen. Can they arrive before the Innocence is captured by the akuma, and will they be able to work together to defeat an akuma that has become stronger and much more clever than those they have fought before?
Abbie
Jun 22, 2012 Abbie rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.

Utter turn around from my thoughts about the first book, though I still have to adjust to the format. Manga will never be my thing. I have trouble lookin g at all the squiggles on the page.

That being said: I love Allen, I am nursing a dim fascination with Kanda, and the part with the doll's death moved me far more than I expected it too. Very impressed, and even though I'm reading these for a friend of mine, I'll be excited to read the next one.
Rena
Nov 03, 2013 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, manga
Whoops! I really have to pay attention to when I finish these. It turns out I finished this volume a while ago and do not remember much about the exact occurrences of this arc. I know that it was pretty cool and that Allen was still pretty awesome, but I don't really remember specific details. Well aside from Kanda is probably the most amazing fighter even if he is ruthless and cruel sometimes. Sorry about this lacking review...
Denise
Jan 29, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing
The ending of this book was pretty sad, but I won't say anything in case anyone wants to read this book. I'm still slightly confused about ceratin things, but I can just ask Akari. I thought that this book was a little more interesting than book one, but that doesn't mean book one wasn't great (which it was). Wait, did all of that make sense? I sort of felt like I was part of the book, especially when they were inside of the maze.
Rici
Jul 31, 2016 Rici rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Ich lese wie gesagt um wieder rein zu kommen und wieder die Story zu verstehen. Der Manga hatte so viele Pausen das ich das gefühl habe viel zu vergessen. Diese Story erzählt mehr von Allen und einen charakter, als auch wie hart Kanda tut aber eigentlich einen weichen Kern hat. Auf zum nächsten Band!
Katrina Meade
Sep 26, 2012 Katrina Meade rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
I wasn't quite the fan of this volume as I was of the others because while it was cool that Allen grew stronger as an Exorcist, it was one of the slower story arcs. Not saying it was terrible, by any measure. I definitely liked this better than the anime depiction of this arc. Definitely worth reading though.
Scott Lee
Dec 28, 2015 Scott Lee rated it liked it
Not as strong as volume one, mostly because the beginning didn't seem to account for a major break with the previous volume in location/time. Either my memory sucks, or the beginning of this volume was so poorly executed as to be nearly incoherent.

Interesting story about Allen chasing a new Innocence and fighting a level 2 Akuna.
Gabby White
Sep 01, 2012 Gabby White rated it it was amazing
In this book, Allen has arrived at the Black Order, only to be attacked from Kanda another exorcist! Luckily Allens master sent a letter ahead to tell them his pupil was coming to the Order. Soon after Allen is sent out on his first mission to retrieve innocence. In the end they get the innocence, but lose the lifes of Finders (regular humans that help the Order).
Mingo Johnson Jr
Sep 18, 2014 Mingo Johnson Jr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Allen Walker has a parasite anti-akuman which is rare among exorcists. The more synchronized he is with is anti-akuman the more powerful. Also, his emotion can power his anti-akuman like rage. If humans become more connected within themselves' what will happen?
D.Gray-man: Hello! 1 3 Aug 29, 2013 11:18PM
  • Black Cat, Volume 02
  • Bleach, Volume 21
  • D.N.Angel, Vol. 9 (D.N.Angel, #9)
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 02
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Dogs: Bullets & Carnage, Volume 3
  • Black Butler, Volume 04
星野 桂

Katsura Hoshino ((星野 桂 Hoshino Katsura) was born on April 21, 1980, in Shiga Prefecture, Japan, as the younger of fraternal twin girls and the second of three children. She drew her first manga at twenty-one. In 1998, Hoshino moved to Tokyo. She dreamed of bringing her mother to the city and was able to in 2006.

She made her debut with her comics in July 2003 with the publication of her first m
More about Katsura Hoshino...

D.Gray-man (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 01
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 08
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 09
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 10
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 11

“You're naive. We're destroyers, not saviors.

-Kanda Yuu”