D.Gray-man, Vol. 02: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky (D.Gray-man, #2)

D.Gray-man, Vol. 02: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky (D.Gray-man #2)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  4,559 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Set in a fictional end of the 19th century England, the story revolves around a teenage boy named Allen Walker who is cursed with a cross mark on his hand that turns his arm into an enormous weapon, which he uses to hunt down and kill akumas. An akuma, generated by a 1,000-year-old phantom, is implanted into a human's soul during a moment of devastation and despair. The ph...more
Published August 1st 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about D.Gray-man, Vol. 02, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.Gray-man, Vol. 02

Nick
Sep 11, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars
Overall Rating: B-
Synopsis: The plot revolves around Allen Walker, an Exorcist, in the end of the 19th century Europe. Allen is a member of the Dark Order, a group of Exorcists connected with the Vatican. Their mission is to stop The Millennium Earl, an evil ghoul intending to cleanse the world by destroying all the humans in the manner of Noah's great flood. In the first volume, we get some back story, learn that exorcists kick ass, have a clubhouse, and don't play well with others.

D. Gray-man...more
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
Feb 10, 2013 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anime fans, Manga fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Anime-planet.com
Shelves: 2013, manga, reviewed
We start off with this vol. with Chapter 8: Mission Start.
Kanda and Allen set off on the wrong foot in the cafeteria. Their opinions completely differ like opposites of the same coin. Elsewhere near an abandoned city an innocence has manifested itself, and the Akuma have been drawn to it. Kanda and Allen are assigned to find the innocence. Also the Akuma are starting to evolve and get stronger. Read for yourselves to witness an excellent story.
Veronica Morfi
I can't describe how much in love I am with D.Gray-Man. It is the one Manga tha can always make me cry and laugh in just a few pages. I am so glad I started buying the Manga issues 'cause I am dying to own the whole collection. Also, I am dying to know what happens next... Hopefully Katsura Hoshino will go back in writing soon!
Tamojit
Aug 10, 2012 Tamojit rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tamojit by: Ayşe Nur
Shelves: manga
Well, the ending was a bit sad... But, glad that both Kanda and Allen teamed up to destroy that Akuma..
Michelle E. Kobus
A re-read. I noticed one thing that Hoshino never really touched on again is that Kanda seems to have (view spoiler).

A manga series I love very much, since I first s...more
MissAnnThrope
22 February 2013

D.Gray-Man: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky, Vol. 2 sends Allen Walker and Yu Kanda off to Italy to retrieve an Innocence discovered in the region. They encounter a creepy akuma with the ability to evolve its eerie powers.

This volume is full of action, but the drawing is so confusing that it's often times hard to figure out what is going on. The doll storyline was meh. I did enjoy Walker and Kanda butting heads. The contrast of Walker's kindness and Kanda's cold-hea...more
Bonnie
Jun 24, 2008 Bonnie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone who likes Tim Burton films.
This volume was an awful lot of action with not a lot of plot. I found the fight scenes difficult to follow, simply because it was hard to identify who was doing what. The use of sound in the fight scenes was funny, but also added to the confusion. I really enjoyed the first volume and the amount of backstory it gave for Allen, but I feel like this volume decided it wasn't going to give anything away except for annoying little lines that seem really cliche ("I can't die until I find that person"...more
Robert Beveridge
Katsura Hoshino, D. Gray-Man vol. 2: Old Man of the Land and Aria of the Night Sky (ViZ, 2004)

After I read the first volume of D. Gray-Man some time ago, I didn't quite get all the hype, which comes from everyone from the expected otaku right down to the reviewer at Publishers Weekly, who calls the series “...a fantastic vision of Victorian England.” I'm starting to get it a little more, having now read the second volume as well, but it still doesn't rank with the classics, IMO. I'll give it a f...more
Deborah Takahashi
Alan Walker is a very special young man who's arm is a powerful source of power that can destroy demons, called Akuma; Akuma's are dead souls brought back to life by grieving loved ones that are trapped in vessels controlled by the Millenium Earl. In order to combat these demons, Alan becomes an exorcist for an organization called "the Black Order." However, the Earl has called upon the Noah family to destroy the generals since they are immune to Innocence.As the Noah's continue to slaughter gen...more
Emma Adams
The second volume of D.Gray-Man is where it won me over the first time around. The series follows Allen Walker, an Exorcist - one of those chosen by a divine substance called Innocence to fight against the sinister Millennium Earl, who steals human souls to make demons known as Akuma. In this volume, Allen and Kanda, a fellow exorcist, travel to a cursed town to defeat an Akuma and get to the roots of a mystery surrounding a life-like doll.

Allen is cursed to see the soul of any human trapped wi...more
Mingo Johnson
Allen Walker has a parasite anti-akuman which is rare among exorcists. The more synchronized he is with is anti-akuman the more powerful. Also, his emotion can power his anti-akuman like rage. If humans become more connected within themselves' what will happen?
Esther
Kanda doesn't seem as mature as in the anime;nevermind, I still hate him. However, I reckon he's a character with a strong and decided personality
Kereesa
The second volume in the D.Gray-Man series mostly revolves around our buddy Allen <3 and his adventures obtaining one of the innocence with the aid of the sullen and obviously has a dark past Kanda (who I totally thought was a chick at first glance :P)
As always the plot and characters are wonderful. I was enraptured by this volume and loved the little tidbits we got not only about Allen but about Kanda as well. The art style seems to get a bit more consistent and it works really well for the...more
Ubalstecha
Allen Walker is sent out on his first mission for the Dark Order. Along with Yu Kanda, Allen is sent out to find an innocence that has emerged in the world. A source of mystical power, the innocence is used by the Dark Order to create weapons. In the hands of an Akuma, it would give the ghoul unlimited power.

Allen and Yu race to reclaim the Innoncence, but things become more complicated when a living doll and the ugly child who built her come into play. Allen has to make choices between saving o...more
Bbabri
Igazából túl sok mindent nem tudok írni erről a kötetről.
Allen és Kanda kapnak egy küldetést.A két fiú nem igazán jön ki egymással,bár ez inkább Kanda miatt van,mert elég mogorva és magának való.De nekem ő az egyik kedvencem! :-)
Megérkeznek a küldetés helyszínére.Állítólag egy Innonence van abban a városban.
Megjelennek az a akumák is.És a harc kezdetét veszi.
Kanda persze kijelenti,hogy nem fog segíteni Allen-nek.De végül mégis segít neki,bár akkor is morogva.
Megtalálták az Innonence-t,de eléggé...more
Jody
Jun 26, 2012 Jody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
So, this is the 2nd manga in this series, and, I was kind of disappointed.

I still really enjoyed the story, or what little story was there. This one was a much faster read than the first. I just found that most of this book was taken up with action frames, and left very little for any kind of a story. Either way, I still gave it 4 stars.

Another thing I found about this vol. was the constant jumping around, it got kind of confusing.

I still gave this one 4 stars because underneath it all, I still...more
Melek
3.5/5. That's an improvement. Moving on to the next volume.
Abbie
3 1/2 stars.

Utter turn around from my thoughts about the first book, though I still have to adjust to the format. Manga will never be my thing. I have trouble lookin g at all the squiggles on the page.

That being said: I love Allen, I am nursing a dim fascination with Kanda, and the part with the doll's death moved me far more than I expected it too. Very impressed, and even though I'm reading these for a friend of mine, I'll be excited to read the next one.
Denise
The ending of this book was pretty sad, but I won't say anything in case anyone wants to read this book. I'm still slightly confused about ceratin things, but I can just ask Akari. I thought that this book was a little more interesting than book one, but that doesn't mean book one wasn't great (which it was). Wait, did all of that make sense? I sort of felt like I was part of the book, especially when they were inside of the maze.
Rena
Whoops! I really have to pay attention to when I finish these. It turns out I finished this volume a while ago and do not remember much about the exact occurrences of this arc. I know that it was pretty cool and that Allen was still pretty awesome, but I don't really remember specific details. Well aside from Kanda is probably the most amazing fighter even if he is ruthless and cruel sometimes. Sorry about this lacking review...
Gabby White
In this book, Allen has arrived at the Black Order, only to be attacked from Kanda another exorcist! Luckily Allens master sent a letter ahead to tell them his pupil was coming to the Order. Soon after Allen is sent out on his first mission to retrieve innocence. In the end they get the innocence, but lose the lifes of Finders (regular humans that help the Order).
Katrina Meade
I wasn't quite the fan of this volume as I was of the others because while it was cool that Allen grew stronger as an Exorcist, it was one of the slower story arcs. Not saying it was terrible, by any measure. I definitely liked this better than the anime depiction of this arc. Definitely worth reading though.
Kelsey Hanson
This one was surprisingly heartfelt. I felt so bad for the old man who cares so deeply about the doll and when they have to destroy it... oh the emotions!! Once again, the illustrations are very beautiful as far as my limited knowledge of manga goes. So far it's been a very intriguing series.
Michelle E. Kobus
A fun and quick read, though not overly text-based. I happen to love Kanda. I like Allen, but he's a regular idealist. Kanda calls it like he sees it, and it's not what most people want to hear, but he speaks with honesty and truth.
Batsap
Didn't enjoy the storyline of this one quite as much as the first one. But I really liked the level 2 akuma, it was both terrifying and adorable. And everyone has such awesome hair, especially Kanda.
Joy
Much better than volume 2. Kanda is an excellent foil for Allen, and their antagonism manages to be both serious and comic relief. (Okay, maybe I am just easily amused by cranky characters...)
Hardian
Early story arc diceritakan dalam satu buku penuh? Nice one. Sayang ini komik Shounen sehingga Allen sebagai tokoh utama terpaksa mengikuti tradisi harus meneriakkan idealismenya, ehem.
Federiken Masters
Sep 19, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mangueros en general
Recommended to Federiken by: Obligación laboral
Otro tomo que entretiene y no mucho más pero muestra bastante potencial para seguir leyendo la serie. Eso sí, al menos por ahora, el dibujo le saca bastante ventaja al guión.
D.Gray-man: Hello! 1 1 Aug 29, 2013 11:18PM
  • Black Cat: Creed, Vol. 2 (Black Cat, #2)
  • D.N.Angel, Vol. 9
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 02
  • Bleach Volume 21: Be My Family or Not (Bleach #21)
  • Blue Exorcist, Vol. 3
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
星野 桂

Katsura Hoshino ((星野 桂 Hoshino Katsura) was born on April 21, 1980, in Shiga Prefecture, Japan, as the younger of fraternal twin girls and the second of three children. She drew her first manga at twenty-one. In 1998, Hoshino moved to Tokyo. She dreamed of bringing her mother to the city and was able to in 2006.

She made her debut with her comics in July 2003 with the publication of her first m...more
More about Katsura Hoshino...
D.Gray-man, Vol. 01: Opening (D.Gray-man, #1) D.Gray-man, Vol. 06: Delete (D.Gray-man, #6) D.Gray-man, Vol. 03: The Rewinding City (D.Gray-man, #3) D.Gray-man, Vol. 04: Carnival (D.Gray-man, #4) D.Gray-man, Vol. 05: Announcement (D.Gray-man, #5)

“You're naive. We're destroyers, not saviors.

-Kanda Yuu”