Start by marking “Stars: New Edition” as Want to Read:
Stars: New Edition

Stars: New Edition

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Cinema's glamor has always been inseparable from star performances and star images. On its first publication in 1980, this book set new standards for critical and theoretical rigor in the field of star studies. Through the intensive examination of films, magazines, and advertising--as well as critical texts--Richard Dyer analyzes the historical, ideological, and aesthetic ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by British Film Institute (first published December 31st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars

Richard Dyer is one of my favorite "academic" writers because his writing is simultaneously accessible and totally weird. You're guaranteed a unique perspective from him. This is no exception. This is a nontraditional look at the lives of Hollywood stars and the impact of "star culture" on our thinking.
This book really needs no review - it's a seminal work in star studies and must be one of the most quoted film studies books ever. It inspired my own interest in star studies and is incredibly influential in my research.

Another must-read for any film scholars.
Certainly a great reference book for those who want to have a more acadamic look into the world of "Old" Hollywood and how it stands up against the Hollywood we have today. (Which in my opinion, and Mr. Dyer appears to agree with me, pails in comparison)
as we get further intertwined with our on a large scale the book is even more applicable to everyone's lives
Rose marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Chathurika Amaradase
Chathurika Amaradase marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Sika marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Elle marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Esther Eng
Esther Eng marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Katie added it
Aug 19, 2015
Andrew marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sal marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015