Start by marking “Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 1

Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 1 (Fullmoon o Sagashite #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  18,366 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
In this bittersweet tale of puppy love, tragedy, and aspirations of pop-star fame, 12-year-old Mitsuki's life finds hope when a comical pair of magical beings appears. Rated for teens.
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Caroline Schafer Yes!!!!!!! This is the most amazing book I have ever read! Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oni 4/5 stars. It contains beautiful artwork that outdoes any other (Arina Tanemura is my favourite mangaka as far as art is concerned). However, the…more4/5 stars. It contains beautiful artwork that outdoes any other (Arina Tanemura is my favourite mangaka as far as art is concerned). However, the story is not as good as its sister series, 'The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross' (also written by Tanemura). (less)
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
24th out of 856 books — 3,222 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
18th out of 658 books — 1,493 voters

More lists with this book...

Skye Williams
Dec 19, 2011 Skye Williams rated it did not like it
Shelves: mangas-comics
This is one of those mangas that when you read them they are great and you can't wait to read the next one, and you finish all the volumes and love it all the way through. Then you go back a read it again, the art is mediocre, the story is full of cliches, and everything is just very sparkly and covered in glitter. Recommended for girls under 14.
Nickyjen
Feb 21, 2016 Nickyjen rated it it was amazing
This book will always have a special place in my heart because it was my very first aaaand favorit manga ever. (Right after Sailor Moon of course)
I really like all of Arina Tanemuras Artwork.
She's so talented. !!
Bena
Jan 23, 2012 Bena rated it it was amazing

Mitsuki has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Despite her heath conditions, Mitsuki enters a competition to receive a recording album. However, fate has different plans for her; the god of death sends shinigamis, Takuto and Mereko, (Death Angels) to retrieve Mitsuki’s soul. To the shock, Mitsuki can some how manage to see these two death angels. Along the way, these two angels decide to help Mitsuki’s journey to become a pop sensation, but not everyone is willing to aid Mitsuki.

The theme that i
Christine Kloss
May 14, 2009 Christine Kloss rated it did not like it
Shelves: jessica-s-class
Graphic Novel: Manga

I don't like Manga, I really don't understand the point of it. This book is about a 12 year old girl who really wants to be a singer, but her grandmother is against it. However, Mitsuki decides that she is going to enter anyway. But, unfortunately, she has to be 16 years old to enter and she decides to take a pill to make her grow. Well, she is an instant sensation and is selling a ton of albums and merchandise. She is the BIGGEST thing to happen to the singing business. She
Sesana
Apr 30, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comics, magic
The surface story here is pretty simple and standard: Mitsuki uses magic to help her become a pop idol. It isn't exactly cheating: the magic makes her older (16) and healthy, but doesn't affect her actual singing ability. Healthy because, in her normal, 12 year old body, Mitsuki is dying of throat cancer. This could be boringly worn, or cloyingly manipulative, and probably some readers will see it as that. But for me, it was written so honestly and beautifully that it works. Arina Tanemura ignor ...more
Eden
May 06, 2011 Eden rated it it was amazing
Mitsuki is a 12 year old who dreams of becoming a singer in hopes of finding her friend.
Mitsuki is sick and only has a year to live, but with the help of two harbingers of death, she is able to go after her dream of being a singer.

I found this manga in my library and thought it sounded it good. It was good! Very good. It has a nice story and likeable characters. I admit, it is a bit sad, but I won't explain why. You'll just have to read for yourself.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of th
Ryn
Apr 11, 2012 Ryn rated it liked it
Karaoke OK
Aug 20, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fans of little girl shoujo manga
Shelves: manga-to-ignore
[Series Length: 7 volumes / Read: volume 1]

One of Arina Tanemura's most popular series, but it's definitely not for me. I couldn't even finish the first volume (or more likely, I probably did and promptly forgot most of it).

What killed this story for me is the way that we're immediately punched in the face with the reason why we should automatically be sympathetic towards the main character, Mitsuki Koyama: she has throat cancer. However, that fact shouldn't give her a free pass to trample on he
Maggie
Mar 17, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manga lovers
This manga series is by far one of my absolute favorite. It shows that even though bad things happen in life, you still have friends that are there for you, and that good things are still there even though you think they are not.

It is a wonderful, bittersweet story of a young girl's adventures just before she dies. Every book is filled with fun, romance, and a little bit of sadness.

Nohely
Feb 13, 2013 Nohely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, arina-tanemura

Well, I just finished the first volume of this wonderful series! Tanemura- sensei hasn't let me down not once in her work. I suggest that if didn't enjoy this volume that much, continue reading at least until volume three. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Nanna
Menceritakan tentang anak perempuan yang sangat ingin menjadi penyanyi, sayangnya ada dua hal yang membuatnya tidak bisa mewujudkan mimpinya; neneknya dan tumor ditenggorokkannya. Suatu hari ketika anak perempuan ini berusaha kabur untuk mengikuti audisi, dia bertemu dengan dua shinigami yang akan mencabut nyawanya. Lalu entah bagaimana, salah satu shinigami memutuskan untuk membantu anak perempuan ini.

Gambarnya bagus, tapi terlalu rame dan terlalu bling-bling sampai jadi pusing ngeliatnya. Awal
Kelcey
So I re-read this or maybe finished it (all 7) for the first time. I don't think I read all the way to the end before and OMG the cuteness. I mean, yes it was a little angsty and a little overall depressing with the constantly looming death, etc. However I just adored all of the Shinigami and learning their back stories and seeing them change was the best part for me! I pretty much love everything Tanemura, the art and story is always wonderful but she has a way with characters and humor even wh ...more
Michelle
Oct 30, 2009 Michelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
I tried. I really tried to give Arina Tanemura a chance. I mean, her artwork is so beautiful! But this series! I just really disliked it! And that surprised me, I thought I'd like it! I think I'm too jaded from reading Godchild, I expect someone to get killed every two pages or something. I don't know. I can't pin down exactly why I hated this book. Certainly the artwork was gorgeous, I guess I really felt the story was lacking something. And I didn't really like the characters either.
Laura (ローラ)
Only 7 volumes long. It's not a super long -- or super involved series. It's cute and fun, and actually deals with the serious topic of suicide and retribution. It doesn't seriously deal with it, but it's a serious topic. It has a sad/cute feeling like Fruits Basket. Tanemura has a really distinct drawing & story style. Always very sweet. Maybe the story is a bit young for me, but I recommended to read at least once.

About a 12 year old girl (Mitsuki) with a benign tumor on her vocal chords.
Stacey
Dec 03, 2012 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Full Moon O Sagashite, is a great book cuz its about this 12 year old girl named Mitsuki who wants to sing. But tragically, she has throat cancer, her parents died, and she is now living with her grandmother. Mitsuki heard that there was a singing audition and if you won, you become famous. And the reason she wanted to become famous is because she wanted to meet someone she knew for a long time that somehow currently resides in America. But her grandmother wouldnt let her cuz she didnt want to ...more
Gemma
May 24, 2008 Gemma rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: manga fans who like a mixture of cute, silly, and sentimentality
Leann
Jan 21, 2013 Leann rated it it was amazing
Idealistic and innocent, signature of its author and art style, Full Moon o Sagashite is lovable and beautiful. One of the most memorable manga I have read. This series' cup runeth over with love from Arina Tanemura, which isn't surprising for any of her works. This is my favorite series from her, one that I read again and again. You fall in love with many of the characters, even the bad guys, who end up being people who are just trying to do their job/ protect the main character/ ect, like a go ...more
qiqing
Sep 05, 2012 qiqing rated it liked it
Shelves: 11th-grade-adv
A 12 years old girl call mitsuki Kouyama who dreams to be come a singer but she have sarcoma that she have to take the surgery, but after the surgery will ruin her vocal cords. Also her grandmother hates music. So her dreams can't be achieve. One day two Shinigami (gods of death) comes and told that she onle left one year of live. So the 2 shinigami help her transform into 16 years old girl to go to the audition with a healthy body to sing.
After reading this book the author is trying to tell tha
Lynn
Jul 25, 2008 Lynn rated it really liked it
This had to be he first manga book I ever purchased or read. I was drawn in by the beautiful cover. It's about a girl who wants to become a singer because she loves to sing, and because she promised her friend/love Eichi she would get closer to her dreams. She meets two Shinigami and the rest goes on from there... I don't want to spoil anything!! Arina Tanemura's drawing style is so detailed and pretty. (For those of you who are trying to draw manga for the first time I would really suggest you ...more
Rachel
Mar 23, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This book was the first manga book I'd ever read in my life, and it was fantastic! The characters (Mitsuki, Meroko and Takuto) are some of the most lovable characters I've ever gotten to know to this day. The story was sweet but still kept the reader wanting more! I would seriously recommend this book, this SERIES, this AUTHOR EVEN, to anyone (into manga or not) who likes dramadies (comedies and dramas) or just to anyone who wants to get into manga.

Apart from the character traits and the story
Mazohyst
Jan 04, 2011 Mazohyst rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, teens, library
I've been hearing a lot of great stuff from this series but after reading the first volume, I don't really see what all the hype is about. Arina Tanemura's art is beautiful as always but somehow I just feel like I've read this before. Maybe I'm just bored of Tanemura's art style. But I swear I've seen this plot before. Typical shojo plot. I think I'm just looking for something different.

But this book is great for casual reading. If you're a typical teen girl looking for some cute romantic fantas
Michelle
Oct 26, 2008 Michelle rated it did not like it
Not my favorite manga. The drawings were fine, but the plot was, well, just weird. The story takes place in the world of unrequited 12 year-old-girl love. Add to her life a sarcoma, a mean grandma, a pair of harbinger of death shinigami friends, a desire to reconnect with a boyfriend she has not heard from in two years (maybe because he was 10 when he moved away to America) and we have the foundation of a seven volume series. Let me know how it ends.....
The worst part was the boring inclusion of
Deb
Jun 11, 2007 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shojo readers
Shelves: manga
Cute and nearly selfless 12-year-old Mitsuki Koyama dreams of being the singer she promised her true love before he moved to America. But she also has a type of throat cancer that is correctable via surgery...if she doesn't mind never being able to speak or sing again. Without it, Mitsuki only has a year to live.

When Mitsuki refuses the surgery, she is visited by two shingami (death spirits) who are "persuaded" to help her audition and pursue her dream of being a famous singer.

I keep hoping for
Melissa Massey
Oct 04, 2012 Melissa Massey rated it it was amazing
This series has everything! Don't be fooled by the cutesy looking covers or characters--this keeps dark FAST, but not in a hopelessly depressing way. And it's a surprisingly deep story.

Not only is Arina Tanemura's art GORGEOUS but her story telling skills are unparalleled in the shojou genre. There's lots of back stories that all intertwine beautifully into the main story. It moves at a good pace, and will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next volume.

I first read this when it
Kyaputen Abby
Jan 23, 2011 Kyaputen Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, i-own
This book was brilliant and I'm so chuffed about reading the next one! Arina Tanemura really did an awesome job on this manga! When I read the blurb (the enticer usually on the back cover) I wasnt so sure because I'm not into stories about love, I USUALLY prefer books full ofg action and excitment, swords and people getting impaled! BUT in the case of Full Moon o sagashite I was pulled right into the story and thoroughly enjoyed! So much in fact that I've read it 6 times! (Though I still enjoy a ...more
Dani
Jan 15, 2012 Dani rated it liked it
Full Moon volume 1; a girl who has a dream and a passion to sing. She is 12 but she has an illness which causes her to not be able to sing. But two magical beings help her pursue her dreams.

I probably wouldn't be reading volume 2 if my friend didn't lend it to me, I guess after reading The Black Bird series it's not really a match. But that's okay, it might get better as the books go on. The boy though reminded me of the Cat in the Fruits Basket series. [For those of you who has seen the movie.]
Jessica Sacchelli
May 20, 2016 Jessica Sacchelli rated it it was amazing
I ricordi di questa serie sembrano lontani anni luce!
Fullmoon, Canto d'amore | 満月をさがして Mangetsu wo sagashite è un manga di Arina Tanemura edito dalla Planet Manga. Ho letto questa serie quando ero alle superiori, ma la ricordo ancora perfettamente.

Trama
Full Moon ha come protagonista una ragazza di 12 anni chiamata Mitsuki Koyama. Mitsuki ha una buona voce e desidera diventare una cantante come il padre, ma è affetta da un cancro alla gola, che può essere curato solo asportando le corde vocali.
Holly Letson
Absolutely loved this one. The love Mitsuki feels for Eichi is sad, even heartbreaking, at times. Also, Takuto's understanding of the situation makes one feel almost as though he is the Eichi that Mitsuki is pining over (though I doubt it will turn out that he is!).

I may write a longer review later. I only own V1 and V2 of this series, so I may need to find scanslations online somewhere, in order to complete my reading of the series.
Gabriela Rocha
Feb 19, 2016 Gabriela Rocha rated it it was amazing
Full Moon O Sagashite is a story about a young girl named Mitsuki Kouyama, who is a talented singer. Unfortunately she has a malign tumor that could only be cured by surgery. However, in doing so would ruin her vocal chords. One day she is visited by two shinigami who tell her that she has only one year left to live. They promise to transform her into a heathy 16 year old singer when she is on stage to fulfill her dreams if she doesn't want the surgery. She is given the stage name "Full Moon" an ...more
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rebecca by: Alex
Shelves:
The genre is manga/fantasy,It was about a girl called Mitsuki who wanted to become a singer but she couldnt sing anymore because she had a tumour in her throat, but these 2 people help her out and make her into this other girl so she can become a famous singer,overall i would give it 9/10
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (Alice 19th, #1)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #7)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1)
  • Pita Ten, Vol. 01
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 1 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #1)
  • Mamotte! Lollipop, Vol. 01
Name in Japanese: 種村有菜 (Tanemura Arina)
Western Zodiac: Pisces

Arina Tanemura was born on March 12, 1978. She's the author of Full Moon O Sagashite, Time Stranger Kyoko, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Sakura Hime Kaden, and more.

Her favorite hobby is Karaoke. One song that she sings is Smile, originally by Myco. She has two cats, named Riku and Kai. She has one elder and one
More about Arina Tanemura...

Fullmoon o Sagashite (7 books)
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 2