Start by marking “Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01

Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01 (Fullmoon o Sagashite #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  16,274 ratings  ·  150 reviews
In this bittersweet tale of puppy love, tragedy, and aspirations of pop-star fame, 12-year-old Mitsuki's life finds hope when a comical pair of magical beings appears. Rated for teens.
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Caroline Schafer Yes!!!!!!! This is the most amazing book I have ever read! Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!…moreYes!!!!!!! This is the most amazing book I have ever read! Squeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(less)
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
23rd out of 943 books — 2,790 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
16th out of 592 books — 1,324 voters

More lists with this book...

Skye Williams
This is one of those mangas that when you read them they are great and you can't wait to read the next one, and you finish all the volumes and love it all the way through. Then you go back a read it again, the art is mediocre, the story is full of cliches, and everything is just very sparkly and covered in glitter. Recommended for girls under 14.
Bena Chen

Mitsuki has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Despite her heath conditions, Mitsuki enters a competition to receive a recording album. However, fate has different plans for her; the god of death sends shinigamis, Takuto and Mereko, (Death Angels) to retrieve Mitsuki’s soul. To the shock, Mitsuki can some how manage to see these two death angels. Along the way, these two angels decide to help Mitsuki’s journey to become a pop sensation, but not everyone is willing to aid Mitsuki.

The theme that i
Sesana
The surface story here is pretty simple and standard: Mitsuki uses magic to help her become a pop idol. It isn't exactly cheating: the magic makes her older (16) and healthy, but doesn't affect her actual singing ability. Healthy because, in her normal, 12 year old body, Mitsuki is dying of throat cancer. This could be boringly worn, or cloyingly manipulative, and probably some readers will see it as that. But for me, it was written so honestly and beautifully that it works. Arina Tanemura ignor ...more
Ryn
Apr 11, 2012 Ryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Karaoke OK
Aug 20, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of little girl shoujo manga
Shelves: manga-to-ignore
[Series Length: 7 volumes / Read: volume 1]

One of Arina Tanemura's most popular series, but it's definitely not for me. I couldn't even finish the first volume (or more likely, I probably did and promptly forgot most of it).

What killed this story for me is the way that we're immediately punched in the face with the reason why we should automatically be sympathetic towards the main character, Mitsuki Koyama: she has throat cancer. However, that fact shouldn't give her a free pass to trample on he
Christine Kloss
Graphic Novel: Manga

I don't like Manga, I really don't understand the point of it. This book is about a 12 year old girl who really wants to be a singer, but her grandmother is against it. However, Mitsuki decides that she is going to enter anyway. But, unfortunately, she has to be 16 years old to enter and she decides to take a pill to make her grow. Well, she is an instant sensation and is selling a ton of albums and merchandise. She is the BIGGEST thing to happen to the singing business. She
Eden
Mitsuki is a 12 year old who dreams of becoming a singer in hopes of finding her friend.
Mitsuki is sick and only has a year to live, but with the help of two harbingers of death, she is able to go after her dream of being a singer.

I found this manga in my library and thought it sounded it good. It was good! Very good. It has a nice story and likeable characters. I admit, it is a bit sad, but I won't explain why. You'll just have to read for yourself.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of th
Maggie
Mar 17, 2009 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga lovers
This manga series is by far one of my absolute favorite. It shows that even though bad things happen in life, you still have friends that are there for you, and that good things are still there even though you think they are not.

It is a wonderful, bittersweet story of a young girl's adventures just before she dies. Every book is filled with fun, romance, and a little bit of sadness.

Stacey
Full Moon O Sagashite, is a great book cuz its about this 12 year old girl named Mitsuki who wants to sing. But tragically, she has throat cancer, her parents died, and she is now living with her grandmother. Mitsuki heard that there was a singing audition and if you won, you become famous. And the reason she wanted to become famous is because she wanted to meet someone she knew for a long time that somehow currently resides in America. But her grandmother wouldnt let her cuz she didnt want to ...more
Gemma
May 24, 2008 Gemma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans who like a mixture of cute, silly, and sentimentality
Shelves: manga
Leann
Idealistic and innocent, signature of its author and art style, Full Moon o Sagashite is lovable and beautiful. One of the most memorable manga I have read. This series' cup runeth over with love from Arina Tanemura, which isn't surprising for any of her works. This is my favorite series from her, one that I read again and again. You fall in love with many of the characters, even the bad guys, who end up being people who are just trying to do their job/ protect the main character/ ect, like a go ...more
Lynn
This had to be he first manga book I ever purchased or read. I was drawn in by the beautiful cover. It's about a girl who wants to become a singer because she loves to sing, and because she promised her friend/love Eichi she would get closer to her dreams. She meets two Shinigami and the rest goes on from there... I don't want to spoil anything!! Arina Tanemura's drawing style is so detailed and pretty. (For those of you who are trying to draw manga for the first time I would really suggest you ...more
Rachel
This book was the first manga book I'd ever read in my life, and it was fantastic! The characters (Mitsuki, Meroko and Takuto) are some of the most lovable characters I've ever gotten to know to this day. The story was sweet but still kept the reader wanting more! I would seriously recommend this book, this SERIES, this AUTHOR EVEN, to anyone (into manga or not) who likes dramadies (comedies and dramas) or just to anyone who wants to get into manga.

Apart from the character traits and the story
Melissa Massey
This series has everything! Don't be fooled by the cutesy looking covers or characters--this keeps dark FAST, but not in a hopelessly depressing way. And it's a surprisingly deep story.

Not only is Arina Tanemura's art GORGEOUS but her story telling skills are unparalleled in the shojou genre. There's lots of back stories that all intertwine beautifully into the main story. It moves at a good pace, and will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next volume.

I first read this when it
Kyaputen Abby
This book was brilliant and I'm so chuffed about reading the next one! Arina Tanemura really did an awesome job on this manga! When I read the blurb (the enticer usually on the back cover) I wasnt so sure because I'm not into stories about love, I USUALLY prefer books full ofg action and excitment, swords and people getting impaled! BUT in the case of Full Moon o sagashite I was pulled right into the story and thoroughly enjoyed! So much in fact that I've read it 6 times! (Though I still enjoy a ...more
Michelle
I tried. I really tried to give Arina Tanemura a chance. I mean, her artwork is so beautiful! But this series! I just really disliked it! And that surprised me, I thought I'd like it! I think I'm too jaded from reading Godchild, I expect someone to get killed every two pages or something. I don't know. I can't pin down exactly why I hated this book. Certainly the artwork was gorgeous, I guess I really felt the story was lacking something. And I didn't really like the characters either.
Holly Letson
Absolutely loved this one. The love Mitsuki feels for Eichi is sad, even heartbreaking, at times. Also, Takuto's understanding of the situation makes one feel almost as though he is the Eichi that Mitsuki is pining over (though I doubt it will turn out that he is!).

I may write a longer review later. I only own V1 and V2 of this series, so I may need to find scanslations online somewhere, in order to complete my reading of the series.
Amanda
*My review is based off the series as a whole and not just the first book*

As a child, when I had started using the internet I discovered this amazing website called YouTube and this is where I had watched my very first anime. (Well, anime that isn't particularly everyone's childhood anime in the US for example: Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Inuyasha) Full Moon wo Sagashite holds a very special place in my heart, even till this day. When I had entered my High School years is when I had real
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Alex
The genre is manga/fantasy,It was about a girl called Mitsuki who wanted to become a singer but she couldnt sing anymore because she had a tumour in her throat, but these 2 people help her out and make her into this other girl so she can become a famous singer,overall i would give it 9/10
Grace Elayne Garber
I've read the whole series, and cosplayed from it. Pretty good if you're into the arts and manga. There's also an anime, but don't waste your time with it. Also, the series as a whole wasn't ridiculously long, which is great because I prefer short manga to long.

Borrowed from CGauthier.
Nohely

Well, I just finished the first volume of this wonderful series! Tanemura- sensei hasn't let me down not once in her work. I suggest that if didn't enjoy this volume that much, continue reading at least until volume three. Trust me, you won't regret it.
garnetyuna
This review is for the Italian edition.

I loved this story, I really loved it. I loved Mitsuki and Takuto (together), I felt sorry for Eichi but- I still prefer Takuto than him.
Anyway, this manga was full of angst! O_O But cute and funny nonetheless.
Bobo!
VERY CUTE AND LOVE-ABLE!!!
The art was amazing in a very anime way with the typical large eyes. The story was just cute and made me love it. The whole story was just amazing!
Mely
This was the most amazing manga there was ever made. It made me cry and usually I don't cry over books. But this was different. I loved the artwork, the story, and the characters.
Emma
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE ALL TO SWEET ARTWORK!!

Ok. Now that I've said that, I can go on to talk about how Full Moon o Sagashite, or searching for a full moon, is in my top 3 manga series.

The story is about the 12-year-old Mitsuki who had been diagnosed with throat cancer. Since her parents are dead she lives with her grandma, isolated to her own little house in the garden. Mitsuki are too sick to attend school, so she spends a lot of time at home, dreaming about becoming a singer; which is impossi
Christina
qiqing
A 12 years old girl call mitsuki Kouyama who dreams to be come a singer but she have sarcoma that she have to take the surgery, but after the surgery will ruin her vocal cords. Also her grandmother hates music. So her dreams can't be achieve. One day two Shinigami (gods of death) comes and told that she onle left one year of live. So the 2 shinigami help her transform into 16 years old girl to go to the audition with a healthy body to sing.
After reading this book the author is trying to tell tha
Jenni Noordhoek
This is actually my second readthrough - but it was the first manga I had ever read years ago so I don't remember when I read it.

After much more manga experience, this series is still shining. I'm picking up on more that I hadn't noticed before, of course. The art is still unique from the rest of the manga I read in some ways (admittedly I'm more into shounen/seinen). I still love Takuto and his plot; and despite that I wouldn't pick up a pop star manga now without strong positive recommendatio
Mazohyst
I've been hearing a lot of great stuff from this series but after reading the first volume, I don't really see what all the hype is about. Arina Tanemura's art is beautiful as always but somehow I just feel like I've read this before. Maybe I'm just bored of Tanemura's art style. But I swear I've seen this plot before. Typical shojo plot. I think I'm just looking for something different.

But this book is great for casual reading. If you're a typical teen girl looking for some cute romantic fantas
Daisy Herondale
I loved this manga so so much! It has a great plot line and all the characters' lives interact with each other and meet in the middle in some form or some way. I cried a lot, just to warn everyone, but in the end of the whole series (when I cried the hardest) I went back and kind of, like, looked upon the ending without tears in my eyes and saw the beauty in the end. This was an amazing manga, and one of my first. I love all the characters. I do not recommend the anime, the manga is much much be ...more
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (Alice 19th, #1)
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 1 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 06 (Kitchen Princess, #6)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 3 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #9)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 1: Who Do You Want to Be? (Shugo Chara!, #1)
  • Pita Ten, Vol. 01
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Vol. 01
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 1 (Beauty Pop, #1)
Name in Japanese: 種村有菜 (Tanemura Arina)
Western Zodiac: Pisces

Arina Tanemura was born on March 12, 1978. She's the author of Full Moon O Sagashite, Time Stranger Kyoko, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Sakura Hime Kaden, and more.

Her favorite hobby is Karaoke. One song that she sings is Smile, originally by Myco. She has two cats, named Riku and Kai. She has one elder and one
More about Arina Tanemura...

Fullmoon o Sagashite (7 books)
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 02
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 03
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 04
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 05
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 06
  • Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 07
The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 01 Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 1 (Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, #1) Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 02 The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 02 Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 06

“Love... pain... they're all just fragments of my dream!” 6 likes