Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01

Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01 (Fullmoon o Sagashite #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  14,150 ratings  ·  130 reviews
In this bittersweet tale of puppy love, tragedy, and aspirations of pop-star fame, 12-year-old Mitsuki's life finds hope when a comical pair of magical beings appears. Rated for teens.
Published July 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published June 14th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 01

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
23rd out of 861 books — 2,457 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
15th out of 568 books — 1,173 voters

More lists with this book...

Bena Chen

Mitsuki has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Despite her heath conditions, Mitsuki enters a competition to receive a recording album. However, fate has different plans for her; the god of death sends shinigamis, Takuto and Mereko, (Death Angels) to retrieve Mitsuki’s soul. To the shock, Mitsuki can some how manage to see these two death angels. Along the way, these two angels decide to help Mitsuki’s journey to become a pop sensation, but not everyone is willing to aid Mitsuki.

The theme that i...more
Skye Williams
This is one of those mangas that when you read them they are great and you can't wait to read the next one, and you finish all the volumes and love it all the way through. Then you go back a read it again, the art is mediocre, the story is full of cliches, and everything is just very sparkly and covered in glitter. Recommended for girls under 14.
Ryn
Apr 11, 2012 Ryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Karaoke OK
Aug 20, 2008 Karaoke OK rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of little girl shoujo manga
Shelves: manga-to-ignore
[Series Length: 7 volumes / Read: volume 1]

One of Arina Tanemura's most popular series, but it's definitely not for me. I couldn't even finish the first volume (or more likely, I probably did and promptly forgot most of it).

What killed this story for me is the way that we're immediately punched in the face with the reason why we should automatically be sympathetic towards the main character, Mitsuki Koyama: she has throat cancer. However, that fact shouldn't give her a free pass to trample on he...more
Christine Kloss
Graphic Novel: Manga

I don't like Manga, I really don't understand the point of it. This book is about a 12 year old girl who really wants to be a singer, but her grandmother is against it. However, Mitsuki decides that she is going to enter anyway. But, unfortunately, she has to be 16 years old to enter and she decides to take a pill to make her grow. Well, she is an instant sensation and is selling a ton of albums and merchandise. She is the BIGGEST thing to happen to the singing business. She...more
Sesana
The surface story here is pretty simple and standard: Mitsuki uses magic to help her become a pop idol. It isn't exactly cheating: the magic makes her older (16) and healthy, but doesn't affect her actual singing ability. Healthy because, in her normal, 12 year old body, Mitsuki is dying of throat cancer. This could be boringly worn, or cloyingly manipulative, and probably some readers will see it as that. But for me, it was written so honestly and beautifully that it works. Arina Tanemura ignor...more
Eden
Mitsuki is a 12 year old who dreams of becoming a singer in hopes of finding her friend.
Mitsuki is sick and only has a year to live, but with the help of two harbingers of death, she is able to go after her dream of being a singer.

I found this manga in my library and thought it sounded it good. It was good! Very good. It has a nice story and likeable characters. I admit, it is a bit sad, but I won't explain why. You'll just have to read for yourself.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of th...more
Michelle
I tried. I really tried to give Arina Tanemura a chance. I mean, her artwork is so beautiful! But this series! I just really disliked it! And that surprised me, I thought I'd like it! I think I'm too jaded from reading Godchild, I expect someone to get killed every two pages or something. I don't know. I can't pin down exactly why I hated this book. Certainly the artwork was gorgeous, I guess I really felt the story was lacking something. And I didn't really like the characters either.
Holly Letson
Absolutely loved this one. The love Mitsuki feels for Eichi is sad, even heartbreaking, at times. Also, Takuto's understanding of the situation makes one feel almost as though he is the Eichi that Mitsuki is pining over (though I doubt it will turn out that he is!).

I may write a longer review later. I only own V1 and V2 of this series, so I may need to find scanslations online somewhere, in order to complete my reading of the series.
Maggie
Mar 17, 2009 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga lovers
This manga series is by far one of my absolute favorite. It shows that even though bad things happen in life, you still have friends that are there for you, and that good things are still there even though you think they are not.

It is a wonderful, bittersweet story of a young girl's adventures just before she dies. Every book is filled with fun, romance, and a little bit of sadness.

Stacey
Full Moon O Sagashite, is a great book cuz its about this 12 year old girl named Mitsuki who wants to sing. But tragically, she has throat cancer, her parents died, and she is now living with her grandmother. Mitsuki heard that there was a singing audition and if you won, you become famous. And the reason she wanted to become famous is because she wanted to meet someone she knew for a long time that somehow currently resides in America. But her grandmother wouldnt let her cuz she didnt want to...more
Gemma
May 24, 2008 Gemma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans who like a mixture of cute, silly, and sentimentality
Leann
Idealistic and innocent, signature of its author and art style, Full Moon o Sagashite is lovable and beautiful. One of the most memorable manga I have read. This series' cup runeth over with love from Arina Tanemura, which isn't surprising for any of her works. This is my favorite series from her, one that I read again and again. You fall in love with many of the characters, even the bad guys, who end up being people who are just trying to do their job/ protect the main character/ ect, like a go...more
qiqing
A 12 years old girl call mitsuki Kouyama who dreams to be come a singer but she have sarcoma that she have to take the surgery, but after the surgery will ruin her vocal cords. Also her grandmother hates music. So her dreams can't be achieve. One day two Shinigami (gods of death) comes and told that she onle left one year of live. So the 2 shinigami help her transform into 16 years old girl to go to the audition with a healthy body to sing.
After reading this book the author is trying to tell tha...more
Lynn
This had to be he first manga book I ever purchased or read. I was drawn in by the beautiful cover. It's about a girl who wants to become a singer because she loves to sing, and because she promised her friend/love Eichi she would get closer to her dreams. She meets two Shinigami and the rest goes on from there... I don't want to spoil anything!! Arina Tanemura's drawing style is so detailed and pretty. (For those of you who are trying to draw manga for the first time I would really suggest you...more
Rachel
This book was the first manga book I'd ever read in my life, and it was fantastic! The characters (Mitsuki, Meroko and Takuto) are some of the most lovable characters I've ever gotten to know to this day. The story was sweet but still kept the reader wanting more! I would seriously recommend this book, this SERIES, this AUTHOR EVEN, to anyone (into manga or not) who likes dramadies (comedies and dramas) or just to anyone who wants to get into manga.

Apart from the character traits and the story...more
Mazohyst
I've been hearing a lot of great stuff from this series but after reading the first volume, I don't really see what all the hype is about. Arina Tanemura's art is beautiful as always but somehow I just feel like I've read this before. Maybe I'm just bored of Tanemura's art style. But I swear I've seen this plot before. Typical shojo plot. I think I'm just looking for something different.

But this book is great for casual reading. If you're a typical teen girl looking for some cute romantic fantas...more
Michelle
Not my favorite manga. The drawings were fine, but the plot was, well, just weird. The story takes place in the world of unrequited 12 year-old-girl love. Add to her life a sarcoma, a mean grandma, a pair of harbinger of death shinigami friends, a desire to reconnect with a boyfriend she has not heard from in two years (maybe because he was 10 when he moved away to America) and we have the foundation of a seven volume series. Let me know how it ends.....
The worst part was the boring inclusion of...more
Deb
Jun 11, 2007 Deb rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shojo readers
Shelves: manga
Cute and nearly selfless 12-year-old Mitsuki Koyama dreams of being the singer she promised her true love before he moved to America. But she also has a type of throat cancer that is correctable via surgery...if she doesn't mind never being able to speak or sing again. Without it, Mitsuki only has a year to live.

When Mitsuki refuses the surgery, she is visited by two shingami (death spirits) who are "persuaded" to help her audition and pursue her dream of being a famous singer.

I keep hoping for...more
Melissa Massey
This series has everything! Don't be fooled by the cutesy looking covers or characters--this keeps dark FAST, but not in a hopelessly depressing way. And it's a surprisingly deep story.

Not only is Arina Tanemura's art GORGEOUS but her story telling skills are unparalleled in the shojou genre. There's lots of back stories that all intertwine beautifully into the main story. It moves at a good pace, and will keep you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next volume.

I first read this when it...more
Kyaputen Abby
This book was brilliant and I'm so chuffed about reading the next one! Arina Tanemura really did an awesome job on this manga! When I read the blurb (the enticer usually on the back cover) I wasnt so sure because I'm not into stories about love, I USUALLY prefer books full ofg action and excitment, swords and people getting impaled! BUT in the case of Full Moon o sagashite I was pulled right into the story and thoroughly enjoyed! So much in fact that I've read it 6 times! (Though I still enjoy a...more
Dani
Full Moon volume 1; a girl who has a dream and a passion to sing. She is 12 but she has an illness which causes her to not be able to sing. But two magical beings help her pursue her dreams.

I probably wouldn't be reading volume 2 if my friend didn't lend it to me, I guess after reading The Black Bird series it's not really a match. But that's okay, it might get better as the books go on. The boy though reminded me of the Cat in the Fruits Basket series. [For those of you who has seen the movie.]
Emma
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE ALL TO SWEET ARTWORK!!

Ok. Now that I've said that, I can go on to talk about how Full Moon o Sagashite, or searching for a full moon, is in my top 3 manga series.

The story is about the 12-year-old Mitsuki who had been diagnosed with throat cancer. Since her parents are dead she lives with her grandma, isolated to her own little house in the garden. Mitsuki are too sick to attend school, so she spends a lot of time at home, dreaming about becoming a singer; which is impossi...more
Christina
Katy
*Reread April 12, 2014. Buddy reading with Jeanette. Hope to love it even more the second time around!

**Note** Do not base this review on my review of the series. This is my favorite manga series I've read so far. If you can get past the first book you will not be disappointed :)

Review of Vol 1:
Not sure if I'll continue this series. The story and characters were cute, but it wasn't very exciting.
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2008 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Alex
The genre is manga/fantasy,It was about a girl called Mitsuki who wanted to become a singer but she couldnt sing anymore because she had a tumour in her throat, but these 2 people help her out and make her into this other girl so she can become a famous singer,overall i would give it 9/10
Grace Elayne Garber
I've read the whole series, and cosplayed from it. Pretty good if you're into the arts and manga. There's also an anime, but don't waste your time with it. Also, the series as a whole wasn't ridiculously long, which is great because I prefer short manga to long.

Borrowed from CGauthier.
Nohely

Well, I just finished the first volume of this wonderful series! Tanemura- sensei hasn't let me down not once in her work. I suggest that if didn't enjoy this volume that much, continue reading at least until volume three. Trust me, you won't regret it.
garnetyuna
This review is for the Italian edition.

I loved this story, I really loved it. I loved Mitsuki and Takuto (together), I felt sorry for Eichi but- I still prefer Takuto than him.
Anyway, this manga was full of angst! O_O But cute and funny nonetheless.
Bobo!
VERY CUTE AND LOVE-ABLE!!!
The art was amazing in a very anime way with the typical large eyes. The story was just cute and made me love it. The whole story was just amazing!
  • Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 01
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 01: Lotis Master
  • Kitchen Princess, Vol. 01 (Kitchen Princess, #1)
  • Kamichama Karin, Vol. 01
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 03 (MeruPuri, #3)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 3: Can a Bad Guy Turn Good? (Shugo Chara!, #3)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #7)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 1
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Mamotte! Lollipop, Vol. 01
  • Beast Master, Vol. 1 (Beast Master, #1)
Name in Japanese: 種村有菜 (Tanemura Arina)
Western Zodiac: Pisces

Arina Tanemura was born on March 12, 1978. She's the author of Full Moon O Sagashite, Time Stranger Kyoko, Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Sakura Hime Kaden, and more.

Her favorite hobby is Karaoke. One song that she sings is Smile, originally by Myco. She has two cats, named Riku and Kai. She has one elder and one...more
More about Arina Tanemura...
The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 01 Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01 Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 02 The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 02 Full Moon O Sagashite, Vol. 06

“Love... pain... they're all just fragments of my dream!” 3 likes