My Full Moon is Square

My Full Moon is Square

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The moon changes phases, of this, we’re aware; but who ever heard of a full moon that’s square?
It appears at the pond on the darkest of nights, when the bright little fireflies turn on their lights.

It’s hard to read after dark, and a frog at the local pond is having just that problem. Realizing the frog’s dilemma, a number of bright fireflies offer to help by illuminating...more
Published September 30th 2002 by Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about My Full Moon is Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Full Moon is Square

Ali Hembree
This rhyming story is about fireflies helping to light up the sky so the frog can read a night time story.

I can use this book in my classroom when teaching about multiplication. Each time you add a row to the square, you can multiply the number of rows by the number of columns. Also, when there is a perfect square, I can teach the students about squaring numbers.

In a science sense, I can use this book to teach about the different habitats and what animals live there. Also, I could teach about t...more
Wendy Jones
Mar 18, 2012 Wendy Jones added it
Shelves: math, ece-3601
This is book is about a frog reading a story by the moonlight, and when the moon goes behind a cloud needing a different light to read by. Fireflies come and begin to form squares to help give him light. As the story goes on, the number of fireflies continues to increase going into larger square formations. It has a cute story line, but also can be used for a great math lesson on square numbers. I love how engaging the story is! I also love how easily you can use manipulatives along with story t...more
Caitlin Barclay
This is a wonderful book to use to have students see where squaring numbers comes in handy! The frog thinks he's clever by asking the flies to add another row each time but the flies are too quick for him. With each new row of flies, students can determine how mnay flies there will be and which square number it will be. Maybe students won't be squaring the number of flies to use as lights but this provides a real world connection with a math concept.
Chanelle
I thought this book was excellent for students learning about perfect squares (4,9,16,25,36,49,64,81,100). The frog is trying to read a book before he goes to sleep but doesn't have enough light to see. The frog decides to ask the fireflies(lightning bugs) to help so they decide to create a square moon. First, there are four lightning bugs but it was not enough light so then they added on five more lightning bugs. Of course it still was not enough light. Eventually, 100 lightning bugs come toget...more
Evelyn
The book, My Full Moon is Square is about a frog that enjoys reading under the light of the moon, but when the moon is blocked by clouds the fireflies help the frog light up his night in order for him to read. This book is wonderful to use on a math lesson regarding multiplication and the use of arrays. Students will be able to count the number of rows and columns the fireflies make and us their own manipulatives to make their arrays along with the fireflies. This lesson could be used with stude...more
Dolly
Jun 02, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, math, rhyming
This is an entertaining story that demonstrates the squaring of numbers and the depicts mathematically and visually this concept. The story is interesting and the rhyming narrative is fun, but I kept waiting for the frog to change his mind and eat a few of the flies while he read. Some of the rhymes are a little forced, but overall the tale is fun to read aloud. The beautiful woodcut illustrations complement the story nicely and we enjoyed reading this story together.

We've enjoyed reading the m...more
Megan Willis
This book would be a perfect lesson opener about numbers that make perfect squares. The plot is adorable, and until the end my classmates and I were in suspense because we thought that the frog was going to eat the lightning bugs. The illustrations provide a visual for students to see how these numbers make perfect squares. For example, when there were 25 lightning bugs in the sky they were arranged in a square with 5 rows and 5 columns. If I were to do a lesso with this, joule have the kids use...more
Raenie Brown
Another great math concept book from this author. Again it's a good way to solidify the concepts that you might be going over in the classroom. The book follows a frog that is trying to read but it is too dark, so to help him out fire flies start forming squares of light. Through out the story the frog works time find the right combination( equation) that gives him the best light to read. I think a fun activity to do with this book is to have student work out the problems as they go to see if th...more
Janice Redding
This is a good book to discuss multiplication and division as it talked about grouping. I can use this book to point out making perfect squares. This is a good book to introduce math terms to students as well. In addition, this book talks about grouping such as 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, and 10x10. When I would talk about 2 by 2, I can teach it as 2 across and 2 down; and then I can talk about an array. It can be an engaging lesson where students can predict the next number. I believe this book is sugg...more
Jennifer Kim
This is an engaging and adorable book that is surely to excite students! This book is about a frog who cannot read because he has no light during the night time. The fireflies who look forward to hearing the story agree to help the frog out. This is a good book to teach shapes (squares) and also addition. The students can also use manipulatives and create their own squares as well as they follow along with the story. There is also an unexpected ending that will surely leave a good impression on...more
Whitney Bailey
This book is a tale of how a community in a pond rely on one another and also incorporates a creative way to introduce math.
This tale uses a frog who needs a way to see at night and ends up being helped by "perfect squares" of lightning bugs.

There are many adventures within this book and is a great read for students to create:

Array
Area
Multiplication
Squares/ Perfect squares

Upper elementary grades could use this book to help demonstrate different types of arrays and ways of modeling problems.
Zilha B.
This book is about a frog who wants to read a book, but is unable to see well. The fireflies offer to help by making a square moon in different sizes until 100 fireflies got together and made enough light for the frog to read his book.. This is a great book to learn about perfect squares. Students can learn how to form perfect squares by using the diagrams of the square moon in the book. An extension activity could be for students to form their own perfect square of fireflies.
Tasasha Battle
A frog desperately tries to read but cannot because of the night. There is no sunlight and he is unable to read his book. It is not until the fireflies arrive that the idea of him reading is real. At first there are only a few fireflies that form a square with dim light and eventually more arrive and create a larger perfect square that gives enough light for him to read. In this book students can learn how to make perfect squares form the diagrams provided.
Megan
Apr 14, 2013 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
This book is about a frog that is trying to read and he needs more light to see his book. So he asked the fireflies to make a square moon, however he needs more light so more fire flies keep coming to create a bigger square moon until there is a perfect amount of light, which is 100 fireflies. This is a good book to teach about perfect squares that can be small or large. Also this book could be used to teach about multiplication and grouping numbers.
Anita
This book is about a frog who is trying to read at night and he can't see. So the fireflies help him out by forming a square and shining their lights for him to read. The light isn't bright enough so more fireflies join the formation completing perfect squares.

This book will help children understand how perfect squares work. Placing a visual for learning this math operation will tremendously help students grasp the concept.
Megan Piero
This book has multiple uses in math. First, students can follow along with manipulatives and create all of the squares in the story. Afterwards, the teacher could begin a lesson on square numbers and explain to children why they are called "square". Second, teachers could have students follow along with manipulatives and then teach about arrays and how we can use repeated addition to find the total numbers of smaller pieces inside.
Nausheen Ukani
Mar 21, 2013 Nausheen Ukani added it
Shelves: math
This is a perfect book for introducing perfect squares! The book is all about a frog who wants to read but doesn't have enough light, so he uses the light of lightning bugs. The bugs create square patterns and continue increasing the number of lightning bugs so the frog can see his book. I would use this book to introduce perfect squares and go back through the book and have students look for the pattern or rule they see occurring.
Oanh
Apr 13, 2013 Oanh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
This story is about a frog who tries to read at night but can't because it's too dark. With the help of some fireflies, they devise a way to help light up the night so the frog can read. This story would be a creative way to teach students about perfect squares and multiplication, using the fireflies to create arrays and figuring out the area of the square formation the fireflies arrange themselves in.
Shakita
This book can be used when students are introduced to arrays. This book was fun and showed how we make arrays. This book also showed perfect squares which students will work on in math also. I loved how this book went about making the arrays. The children could follow along with the book in making their own arrays as well and see what they notice about their array. This book also had rhyming in it.
Maxwoodliff
The book provides a good way to explain doubles multiplication. There are examples of 2 x 2 rows all the way up to 5 x 5 rows. These examples in the book could help explain how multiplication works and at the very least provide examples for the students to count each firefly. I remember my own fascination with fireflies as a child and this book would have been very engaging for me.
Abi
This is a great book to use to have students learn about arrays and square numbers. The frog in the story asks the flies to add another row each time but the flies are too quick for him. With each new row of flies, students can determine how many flies there will be and which square number it will be. I would give the kids in my class square tiles to interact throughout the book.
James Mead
This book covers perfect squares and enforces children's learning in a fun way. The students can "help" the main character; frog solve how much light is needed from the moon to light his pond. It is a fun story which includes math problems. Children would benefit from this book because it practices simple math skills but it would not feel like math.
Hatka Prozorac
This book can be used for lessons on multiplication, square numbers (2X2, 4X4), and for activities with arrays. This book can be used to introduce the concept of multiplication to students or it can supplement concepts with multiplication. This book can also be used for lessons on rhyming. This book can be used in second grade classrooms.
Jasmin Garcia
Another great book that helps children discover how to count o 100 using multiple strategies. In this story, the fireflies have to create a light bright enough for the frog to be able to read the story out loud for all to hear. e story is great for teaching about making perfect squares through addition/multiplication and arrays.
Bekkah
This book is an excellent story to read when planning to discuss arrays in multiplication. It would also work somewhat with a science unit on ecosystems since the animals are all actually in an ecosystem where you would expect to find them and facing issues they would actually face (flies being afraid the frog will eat them).
Enasia Lee
This book is about a frog who cannot read his book because it is so dark. Then fireflies come over and give him light. The fireflies then make perfect squares. This is relatable to multiplication and arrays. The students can make their own perfect squares and try to find the multiplication problem as well as division problem.
Angela
This is a fun tale you can use to introduces arrays and multiplication. The fireflies group together, making arrays, to make light for the frog so he can read them a story. They (the fireflies) make a perfect square as well so that can be introduced by this story. This story can also teach rhyming.
Nancy Vu
This is a great books to read to students. The fireflies shows squared number by forming arrays. The flies would add rows and columns to brighten the skies for the frog to read. Each time they add a row and column, they total a square number. There are great illustrations which is perfect for 2nd-5th grade.
Scott Roark
This book does a wonderful job of using a frog and fireflies to introduce square's. The frog can't see, so a firefly helps so he can read. The fireflies end up doubling by rows and columns, thus squares. A spinoff of the book, student's could use the game 'Connect Four' to measure their understanding.
Jasmine
This would be a great book to teach multiplication and arrays. This book breaks down perfect squares and also shows the perfect squares sin arrays. I would recommend this book to any teacher. You could create many hands on activities with this book as well as using this book when introducing perfect squares.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
One Hundred Hungry Ants A Remainder of One Inchworm And A Half Arctic Fives Arrive