Start by marking “Barefoot in Paris” as Want to Read:
Barefoot in Paris

Barefoot in Paris

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  10,330 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Hearty boeuf Bourguignon served in deep bowls over a garlic-rubbed slice of baguette toast; decadently rich croque monsieur, eggy and oozing with cheese; gossamer crème brulee, its sweetness offset by a brittle burnt-sugar topping. Whether shared in a cozy French bistro or in your own home, the romance and enduring appeal of French country cooking is irrefutable. Here is ...more
Published October 26th 2004 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot in Paris

Samantha
Feb 06, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
I actually picked up a copy of Ina Garten's cookbook Barefoot in Paris from my local library- instead of buying cookbook after cookbook, I borrow them for the library for a test run, and read through the whole book.

Unsurprisingly, the recipes in this book are fantastic, and the tips on the side margins always useful. When I read this book I can hear Ina in the back of my head instructing along; she has a comforting and all knowing voice, and it is clear that she loves the food that she is making
Megan Sanchez
Jun 24, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites book to read through when I am feeling a bit uninspired. Unlike many books by famous cooks, this book is full of gorgeous photos of FOOD, rather than pictures of the chef laughing at some unknown joke or the chef with their children or the chef reclining with friends on a couch. I like to know what the recipe on the page is going to make and I love just looking at food. Cookbooks should be about food, not the chef.

Ina Garten makes simple but elegant food with great ingredient
Meaghan O'Malley
Sep 18, 2007 Meaghan O'Malley rated it it was amazing
I read cookbooks. I don't know about y'all, but I find that reading cookbooks helps impart the essence of the style of the chef/cook to the actually process of creating the food. Ina Garten is one of my favorite Food Network chefs, but I also appreciate her style, her patience with food and the ease with which she describes and executes fantastic meals. This book is especially romantic, given that it's all food inspired by her travels in Paris. It reminds me of living overseas and all of the ...more
Steven Peterson
Apr 12, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
Ina Garten and French cuisine. An interesting combination! I have a couple other of her cookbooks and have enjoyed a number of the menus that she has published. So, I was intrigued when I saw this volume.

There are some recipes in here that differ from ones that I have tried over time. And that is always attractive to look at. Can I improve my recipes by looking at those of someone else? Examples:

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I first tried this at a dinner party 35 years ago. I really enjoy
Chelsea
Oct 07, 2009 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-self-help
I love Ina Garten. I try her recipes often, and I can honestly say I've never had one turn out badly. The photos in this book are beautiful and the recipes are mostly simple and focus on Ina's theme: good ingredients. In between recipes she gives advice on table settings, traditional French ingredients, and anecdotes about her travels in France. My favorite recipes from this book are the Mussels in White Wine, Herbed New Potatoes, and Lemon Chicken with Croutons. Sorely missed: Coq Au Vin (is it ...more
Valerie
Jan 05, 2008 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
I like this book, but not as much as the original Barefoot Contessa cookbook. The recipes were slightly less accessible to me, and I found that there weren't as many that appealed to me.

I really like the recipe for chicken with forty cloves of garlic, however, and her recipe for béarnaise sauce (which I had originally copied down from her television program) appears here in a slightly altered form (it calls for champagne vinegar instead of white wine vinegar). I think I've made that one recipe a
Julie
Jan 22, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
I really like this cookbook. Little personal stories about the recipes sections, gorgeous color photos of each recipe. Most can be made ahead of time so you are not scrambling around like a crazy person, trying to get dinner on the table. I made the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken (crazy, I know, but AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS and so mellow) and the Mediterranean Couscous. Also tasty. And most are very simple, not fussy and fancy, which I appreciate.
Meredith
Feb 05, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
Ina Garten's world may not be reality for the rest of us (The picture of her hugging the woman's arm at Poilâne in Paris...), but overall this is a really good cookbook. It includes some simplified versions of French classics that are delicious. All the recipes I've tried out of this book have been successful.
Kelly
Jan 21, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful addition to the library of any budding cook, who seeks the ease and delightful flavors of French cuisine (vs time-intensive classic technique). Garten delivers intimidating French cuisine to the novice American cook in a palatable fashion. I plan to use this book's Resources section to plan a (fingers crossed) extended trip to Paris/French countryside next year.
Denise
Jun 18, 2013 Denise added it
Have to have anything Ina writes!
Penelope Brown
Sep 01, 2014 Penelope Brown rated it it was amazing
She is why I am a good cook. Thanks Ina!
Casey McNeill
Jun 09, 2009 Casey McNeill rated it it was amazing
She is my favorite. I want to be her someday!!!!!!!!!!!
Cami
Oct 28, 2016 Cami rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, paris
Of course this book is beautiful, Ina Garten's life is beautiful. These recipes are surprisingly simple, but, let's face it, I'm not making many of these any time soon.
Roewoof
Aug 14, 2014 Roewoof rated it really liked it
The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is that I haven't yet tried her recipes. Due to food sensitivities I have to find some substitutions for all purpose flour.

I love Ina, and after reading her book, I love her about a hundred times more. I found her writing to be genuine, and her love for Paris and French food came through very clearly for me. It wasn't frilly and lacked a lot of the pretension that sometimes comes along with chefs or professional cooks. It was also refreshing to
J.
Apr 19, 2016 J. rated it it was amazing
I received this cookbook as a birthday gift and absolutely love it. I’m a huge fan of Ina Garten and enjoy her recipes (esp. French cuisine) so I was excited to receive this cookbook. The photos are wonderful and the recipe directions are very easy to follow. Plus, I really enjoyed her personal comments and tips throughout. My book is filled with bookmarks already and I have prepared several of the recipes including the Blue Cheese Soufflé, Spinach in Puff Pastry and Lemon Chicken w/ Croutons – ...more
Lori
Oct 21, 2009 Lori rated it really liked it
I love this cookbook, but probably not for the right reasons. I love it because it again possess' Ina Garten's warmth, wit and passion. Most of all though, it is about Paris and French food. Simple, great food that you can prepare at home without having to attend a culinary institute. The problem is, I have used it very little, which means that alot of the recipes are not as suitable for families as her other titles.
At this stage in my life, I am still cooking nightly for a husband and three hu
Melissa
Nov 04, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I would recommend buying this for the veggie provencal soup (and the accompanying pistou) recipe alone. Some other classic dishes in here are beouf bourguignon, steak with bearnaise, scallops provencal, zucchini vichyssoise, chicken w/ 40 cloves of garlic - all of which sound intimidating, but which Ina walks you through so they feel like cake! There are lots of great meals and shopping tips in here, but overall the recipes are longer and more complicated, and require much more shopping than ...more
Stacy
Oct 01, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
I can't rate a cookbook until I try out several of their recipes. Which I did and all were successful. 40 clove garlic chicken, pain perdue (almond french toast), eggplant gratin, cauliflower grating and something else I can't remember right now. But I remember that I loved it and we ate it in one sitting. An added bonus, Ina tells you why the French cook certain ways, certain things and the best shops to buy dishware, flowers, cheeses, etc... It's fun to imagine shopping at the same places. ...more
Monica
May 06, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing
Let me start off by saying that I collect cookbooks. New, old, really old, they fill multiples shelves in my home. This cookbook has a special place. I use it frequently. If I want to cook a fancy meal for guests or enjoy a no-fuss weekend bite, this cookbook has it all. You can use the recipes for everyday or special occasions. I live with two somewhat picky eaters. I have no issues with feeding them from this book. These are go-to French foods that anyone can cook: quiche, potato and leek ...more
Katy
May 21, 2007 Katy rated it really liked it
Ruby (age 2 1/2) loves reading this book as a night-time story. "Then Ina made ice cream bombe!".

I am really into some of the recipes in this book; chicken with 40 cloves of garlic and lemon chicken with croutons are two of my favorite party-meals. The salads are nice, too. I found a lot of the dessert unapproachable, but overall this is a great book.

Also, there were quite a few obvious product plugs that rubbed me the wrong way ("I love to use Pepperidge Farms..."). Whatever, a girl's gotta m
Jessica
Feb 06, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys really good food
Recommended to Jessica by: Ann Kong
Ina's best, by far. I've made almost everything in this book-- and everything always turned out amazing and just like her picture. The best part is that she gives really clear, easy to understand instructions. These recipes are indeed easy and sooooo delicious. This is my go-to book when we have company over for dinner or drinks, because Ina really knows how to make the simple truly sophisticated and utterly decadent. My fave is the Creme Brulee recipe - it is easy and beyond divine. Even my ...more
Jenny (Novel Idea)
Jan 22, 2015 Jenny (Novel Idea) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Ina Garten is one of my favorite celebrity chefs. I could hear her voice while I was reading. I have been obsessed with French cooking and saw this at my library. It is definitely one I will be purchasing to add to my cookbook collection. The pictures of all the gorgeous food were amazing. I loved each little introduction for all of the recipes. The side notations of extra tips were great. Her additional information between the sections of recipes about French wines, cheeses, and cookware were ...more
Emily Von pfahl
I recently flipped through a friend's copy of this book and while I did find a handful of recipes that I photocopied overall the recipes it contained required ingredients that were just too pricey for me. Additionally, and not surprisingly given that it is a French cookbook, I found many of the recipes to be beyond the scope of my picky palette. However, it was primarily cost, and in a few instances calorie content, that cooled my desire for this item.
Erin
Jul 14, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Laura got this for us as a wedding gift. I really like the approachable style (and I emphasize "style") to complex cooking. I really like her show on Food Network, too (Barefoot Contessa) because she's quiet. She doesn't run her mouth the whole 30 minutes like Rachael Ray does on her show. She's calm, gives great direction and puts impressive, cohesive menus together for entertaining for a crowd or just a simple dinner at home for two. Can't wait to start cooking!
Julie
Jan 24, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: always-reading
I'll probably change my rating to four stars, but will leave it at three now due to the fact I haven't actually made any of the recipes in the book yet. I thoroughly enjoyed Garten's writing style and her explanations of certain ingredients.

I definitely felt confident in my ability to execute some of these dishes after reading her directions/anecdotes. If that is reality, I'll need to increase my rating of the book!
Jeanne
Mar 16, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Once again I'm charmed by the relative simplicity of Ina Garten's recipes. You might have to spend a little more for quality ingredients but I think it's worth it. I can't wait to try Boeuf Bourguignon, Palmiers, Warm Mushroom Salad, and maybe even the Creme Brulee, a dish I've never even been tempted by before.
Terri
Apr 06, 2008 Terri rated it it was amazing
my sister and i were talking last night.... if you love butter, cream, guyere, and olive oil, you'll love all things barefoot contessa.

my favourite recipes: croque monsieur, eggplant gratin, spinach puff pastry, green salad vinaigrette, zucchini gratin, brussels sprouts lardons and cauliflower gratin (really any gratin:)
Nicole
Feb 02, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
I have now had a chance to try a few recipes. They were all delicious and relatively easy to make. I may have some stylistic differences with Ina- I sometimes like doing things the hard way, but that isn't always feasible when entertaining. So if you like to throw dinner and brunch parties, this is a book you may want to own.
Katie
Jun 10, 2007 Katie rated it really liked it
i gave this book the same rating as i did "mastering the art of french cooking", which feels sacreligious. especially because ina's books are cheating versions of julia's, AND they are rife with errors. ERRORS! not cool, ina. but i use this one at least five times as often. those herb-baked eggs. mmmm. just avoid the brioche recipe. use joy of cooking's.
Cynthia Caprise
Barefoot in paris

Ina never disappoints. I enjoy reading what I would call sub sections..how to table we, arrange flowers,etc. I really liked her simple but elegant way of explaining French wine. On my must make from this book is her blue cheese souffle, rack of lamb persillade and ice cream bombe.
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Giada's Family Dinners
  • Forever Summer
  • The Martha Stewart Cookbook: Collected Recipes for Every Day
  • Around My French Table: More than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...