Start by marking “Barefoot in Paris” as Want to Read:
Barefoot in Paris

Barefoot in Paris

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  7,399 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Hearty boeuf Bourguignon served in deep bowls over a garlic-rubbed slice of baguette toast; decadently rich croque monsieur, eggy and oozing with cheese; gossamer creme brulee, its sweetness offset by a brittle burnt-sugar topping. Whether shared in a cozy French bistro or in your own home, the romance and enduring appeal of French country cooking is irrefutable. Here is t ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Clarkson Potter Publishers (first published October 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot in Paris

Samantha
I actually picked up a copy of Ina Garten's cookbook Barefoot in Paris from my local library- instead of buying cookbook after cookbook, I borrow them for the library for a test run, and read through the whole book.

Unsurprisingly, the recipes in this book are fantastic, and the tips on the side margins always useful. When I read this book I can hear Ina in the back of my head instructing along; she has a comforting and all knowing voice, and it is clear that she loves the food that she is making
Steven Peterson
Ina Garten and French cuisine. An interesting combination! I have a couple other of her cookbooks and have enjoyed a number of the menus that she has published. So, I was intrigued when I saw this volume.

There are some recipes in here that differ from ones that I have tried over time. And that is always attractive to look at. Can I improve my recipes by looking at those of someone else? Examples:

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. I first tried this at a dinner party 35 years ago. I really enjoy
Valerie
I like this book, but not as much as the original Barefoot Contessa cookbook. The recipes were slightly less accessible to me, and I found that there weren't as many that appealed to me.

I really like the recipe for chicken with forty cloves of garlic, however, and her recipe for béarnaise sauce (which I had originally copied down from her television program) appears here in a slightly altered form (it calls for champagne vinegar instead of white wine vinegar). I think I've made that one recipe a
Megan Sanchez
One of my favorites book to read through when I am feeling a bit uninspired. Unlike many books by famous cooks, this book is full of gorgeous photos of FOOD, rather than pictures of the chef laughing at some unknown joke or the chef with their children or the chef reclining with friends on a couch. I like to know what the recipe on the page is going to make and I love just looking at food. Cookbooks should be about food, not the chef.

Ina Garten makes simple but elegant food with great ingredient
Meaghan O'Malley
I read cookbooks. I don't know about y'all, but I find that reading cookbooks helps impart the essence of the style of the chef/cook to the actually process of creating the food. Ina Garten is one of my favorite Food Network chefs, but I also appreciate her style, her patience with food and the ease with which she describes and executes fantastic meals. This book is especially romantic, given that it's all food inspired by her travels in Paris. It reminds me of living overseas and all of the fre ...more
Roewoof
The only reason I didn't give this book five stars is that I haven't yet tried her recipes. Due to food sensitivities I have to find some substitutions for all purpose flour.

I love Ina, and after reading her book, I love her about a hundred times more. I found her writing to be genuine, and her love for Paris and French food came through very clearly for me. It wasn't frilly and lacked a lot of the pretension that sometimes comes along with chefs or professional cooks. It was also refreshing to
Meredith
Ina Garten's world may not be reality for the rest of us (The picture of her hugging the woman's arm at Poilâne in Paris...), but overall this is a really good cookbook. It includes some simplified versions of French classics that are delicious. All the recipes I've tried out of this book have been successful.
Casey McNeill
She is my favorite. I want to be her someday!!!!!!!!!!!
Denise
Jun 18, 2013 Denise added it
Have to have anything Ina writes!
Lori
I love this cookbook, but probably not for the right reasons. I love it because it again possess' Ina Garten's warmth, wit and passion. Most of all though, it is about Paris and French food. Simple, great food that you can prepare at home without having to attend a culinary institute. The problem is, I have used it very little, which means that alot of the recipes are not as suitable for families as her other titles.
At this stage in my life, I am still cooking nightly for a husband and three hu
Kelly
This is a wonderful addition to the library of any budding cook, who seeks the ease and delightful flavors of French cuisine (vs time-intensive classic technique). Garten delivers intimidating French cuisine to the novice American cook in a palatable fashion. I plan to use this book's Resources section to plan a (fingers crossed) extended trip to Paris/French countryside next year.
Chelsea
I love Ina Garten. I try her recipes often, and I can honestly say I've never had one turn out badly. The photos in this book are beautiful and the recipes are mostly simple and focus on Ina's theme: good ingredients. In between recipes she gives advice on table settings, traditional French ingredients, and anecdotes about her travels in France. My favorite recipes from this book are the Mussels in White Wine, Herbed New Potatoes, and Lemon Chicken with Croutons. Sorely missed: Coq Au Vin (is it ...more
Melissa
I would recommend buying this for the veggie provencal soup (and the accompanying pistou) recipe alone. Some other classic dishes in here are beouf bourguignon, steak with bearnaise, scallops provencal, zucchini vichyssoise, chicken w/ 40 cloves of garlic - all of which sound intimidating, but which Ina walks you through so they feel like cake! There are lots of great meals and shopping tips in here, but overall the recipes are longer and more complicated, and require much more shopping than som ...more
Tami
I found the recipes easy to follow and the results were wonderful! I'm not as intimidated by French cooking as I was.
Stacy
I can't rate a cookbook until I try out several of their recipes. Which I did and all were successful. 40 clove garlic chicken, pain perdue (almond french toast), eggplant gratin, cauliflower grating and something else I can't remember right now. But I remember that I loved it and we ate it in one sitting. An added bonus, Ina tells you why the French cook certain ways, certain things and the best shops to buy dishware, flowers, cheeses, etc... It's fun to imagine shopping at the same places. May ...more
Jessica
Feb 06, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys really good food
Recommended to Jessica by: Ann Kong
Ina's best, by far. I've made almost everything in this book-- and everything always turned out amazing and just like her picture. The best part is that she gives really clear, easy to understand instructions. These recipes are indeed easy and sooooo delicious. This is my go-to book when we have company over for dinner or drinks, because Ina really knows how to make the simple truly sophisticated and utterly decadent. My fave is the Creme Brulee recipe - it is easy and beyond divine. Even my hus ...more
Penelope Brown
She is why I am a good cook. Thanks Ina!
Katy
Ruby (age 2 1/2) loves reading this book as a night-time story. "Then Ina made ice cream bombe!".

I am really into some of the recipes in this book; chicken with 40 cloves of garlic and lemon chicken with croutons are two of my favorite party-meals. The salads are nice, too. I found a lot of the dessert unapproachable, but overall this is a great book.

Also, there were quite a few obvious product plugs that rubbed me the wrong way ("I love to use Pepperidge Farms..."). Whatever, a girl's gotta m
Erin
Laura got this for us as a wedding gift. I really like the approachable style (and I emphasize "style") to complex cooking. I really like her show on Food Network, too (Barefoot Contessa) because she's quiet. She doesn't run her mouth the whole 30 minutes like Rachael Ray does on her show. She's calm, gives great direction and puts impressive, cohesive menus together for entertaining for a crowd or just a simple dinner at home for two. Can't wait to start cooking!
Julie
I really like this cookbook. Little personal stories about the recipes sections, gorgeous color photos of each recipe. Most can be made ahead of time so you are not scrambling around like a crazy person, trying to get dinner on the table. I made the 40 Clove Garlic Chicken (crazy, I know, but AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS and so mellow) and the Mediterranean Couscous. Also tasty. And most are very simple, not fussy and fancy, which I appreciate.
Julie
I'll probably change my rating to four stars, but will leave it at three now due to the fact I haven't actually made any of the recipes in the book yet. I thoroughly enjoyed Garten's writing style and her explanations of certain ingredients.

I definitely felt confident in my ability to execute some of these dishes after reading her directions/anecdotes. If that is reality, I'll need to increase my rating of the book!
Vivian
This is a lovely cookbook with lots of terrific recipes. I usually only cook for one and it annoys me that almost all recipes in cookbooks are for 6 to 8 servings. David Tanis in his Heart of the Artichoke cookbook, created recipes for small, medium and large meals. I wish that all cookbooks kept those of us who cook mostly small meals in mind. It would make cookbooks so much more enjoyable.
Liz
Oct 06, 2008 Liz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liz by: gift from mom
Shelves: cookbooks
I really like this cookbook, but just between you and me, I'm never going to make veal chops or roast duck. Or that ice cream bombe thing. This, for me, was a good intro to French food, and the croque monsieur, vegetable tian, scallops provencal, salmon with lentils, and the pear clafouti are all very tasty. The spinach in puff pastry was disappointing...
Katie
i gave this book the same rating as i did "mastering the art of french cooking", which feels sacreligious. especially because ina's books are cheating versions of julia's, AND they are rife with errors. ERRORS! not cool, ina. but i use this one at least five times as often. those herb-baked eggs. mmmm. just avoid the brioche recipe. use joy of cooking's.
Julie
Gorgeous photographs throughout. I smiled at the following that got a page to itself: "The old rules of white wine with fish and red wine with meat have been discarded in favor of drinking anything that tastes good to you." Due to the cost of the ingredients & the saturated fat content of the recipes, it's book I might refer to only occasionally.
Terri
my sister and i were talking last night.... if you love butter, cream, guyere, and olive oil, you'll love all things barefoot contessa.

my favourite recipes: croque monsieur, eggplant gratin, spinach puff pastry, green salad vinaigrette, zucchini gratin, brussels sprouts lardons and cauliflower gratin (really any gratin:)
Renee
I liked the recipes, and there's no debating that I like Ina Garten. I don't think I will get much use from this book, though, since I typically only cook for one or two. There's also the unfortunate matter of my tight budget. I loved the book, though, and I would recommend it to any of my foodie friends.
Helen
Feb 05, 2009 Helen marked it as to-read
I love French food and their whole approach to life -- attention to subtlety and quality and elegance, passion for life, and a thorough enjoyment of those things! This books has all of those, lovely and yummy recipies and even suggestiosns for things like table settings :).
Keri
I've been wanting this cookbook for a long time and thanks to some birthday gift cards to Amazon I now own it. I love all of Ina Garten's cookbooks and this one is just as amazing. Lots of delicious recipes and beautiful photos. So glad to add it to my collection.
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
  • Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook
  • Everyday Pasta: Favorite Pasta Recipes for Every Occasion
  • Forever Summer
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An indespensible guide for anybody who likes to cook
  • The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life
  • The Bon Appetit Cookbook: Fast Easy Fresh
  • The Silver Palate Cookbook
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Molto Italiano: 327 Simple Italian Recipes to Cook at Home
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary
More about Ina Garten...
Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family Barefoot Contessa: How Easy Is That?