Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession

Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  1,314 ratings  ·  99 reviews
A look at one of the toughest jobs on earth, from the woman who perfectly captures life's humor and heart
Anyone who thinks motherhood is easy has never had children. To care for children, a husband, and oneself is a superhuman task, and any woman who appears to be expert at doing all three simultaneously is not Supermom--she's a good actress. For three decades, Erma Bombe...more
177 pages
Published (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherhood

All Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainWorking by Studs TerkelAll Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot
A Day in the Life: Work Memoirs
33rd out of 377 books — 232 voters
Shine Shine Shine by Lydia NetzerClotho's Loom by Shawn StJeanThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneThe Joy Luck Club by Amy TanRoom by Emma Donoghue
Novels about Motherhood
26th out of 122 books — 90 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike Hoffman
This book was a quick read. Very funny, as Bombeck always was to me. She also tells some sad and insightful things in this book. Of course there is special significance to me trying to get into the mind of a mother, and mothers everywhere, but this book felt a little dated. There are many more books from the more recent generation that tell these stories, but this one captures a moment in time, and what the interpretation was then. It was while I was growing up and my sisters were being born, so...more
Amanda
I have fond memories of seeing this book on my mother's night stand and decided to revisit it. Not having kids of my own did not in any way detract from the classic humor and endearing quality of Ms. Bombeck's stories. As a matter of fact I think that should I ever be blessed/cursed with motherhood I might actually feel a little better prepared having read a little Erma. At the very least it helps me understand what my (and every other) mother goes through in a deeply personal and absolutely hil...more
Elizabeth
Any book that makes my husband shush me at 11:30 is worth at least four stars. I laughed, I cried, I hugged my kids.
Gail
Years ago I really liked Erma Bombeck's books. Don't know if my taste has changed or this book just isn't as good as the ones I remember. Guess I have to try another one to find out for sure! They don't take long to read.
Lisa
Bombeck has collected a series of essays and character profiles that made this mother feel like she was having coffee with some good friends. Written by someone who has undoubtedly been there, this work is funny with an undeniable grain of truth. A collection that shows the humor, hard work, insanity, love and joy that is involved in being the main caregiver for another person.

It should be noted that this was originally published in the early 1980's and is therefore a little dated in some of the...more
Alyce Wilson
Erma Bombeck, the beloved newspaper columnist who wrote about the foibles of motherhood, expanded upon her familiar territory in "Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession." The result is a work that, though familiar-sounding, delves deeper and sometimes darker than her newspaper columns did.

For example, Bombeck reruns one of her most popular columns, a paean to the mothers of disabled children, answering it with a new companion piece where the mother of a disabled child criticizes the original c...more
Amy
I finished this book in two days. What a delightful read. So many of the stories in this book are timeless and will have you laughing out loud. The stories that are particularly poignant are the "Special Mother" and the Anonymous letter to Erma written by the mother of a criminal. Many have heard of the article Erma wrote on "Special Mothers." However, what many don't know is that Erma also wrote a follow up to that which shows one mom of a mentally disabled child's reaction to that article and...more
Kathy Hiester
With my daughter expecting her first child I decided to give her the book to read. After I found her laughing at the book I decided to reread the book. Erma Bombeck and her insights, she is what I consider to be part of the American scene, Mom, Apple Pie and Baseball.

This book, which I read in one day. It made me laugh, roll my eyes about how Erma got situations just right and cry. The one chapter that made me cry the hardest is the letter from a mom whose son is a criminal. I love the letter fr...more
Breanne
This book was written from an era where more mothers stayed home, used starch and wrote hand written notes. Also, more stigma's about soap opera's must have circulated. With that said, though I didn't know some of the celebrities referenced, I can relate very much to the sarcasm and satire Erma Bombeck creates. Some comments truly made me laugh and surprisingly, I did have cause for reflection on others. For mothers who invest interest through the day to day trudging through kids, laundry and sa...more
Jennifer Gibbons
Open Road is reissuing this book in ebook form and I was lucky to get it through NetGalley. It's classic Bombeck: she had the rare gift to make you laugh at one page,then cry the next.My favorite essay in this collection is an annymous letter Bombeck got from a reader about being a mother of a convict. Reading Bombeck's words makes me realize what a loss the world experienced when she died in 1996. Imagine what she would've thought of tiger mothers, attachment parenting....Erma, we miss you.
Keisha McCollum
Erma Bombeck was a well known comedian of her time. She did have a knack of making motherhood refreshingly funny. I found the book to be funny at certain sections but overall I felt the book didn't fit the parenting of today's age. The book was a good one time read for me and would be more enjoyable for a fan of her work.
Caroline
I LOVE Erma Bombeck. I read this and all her others many, many years ago. Laughed then even when I wasn't even old enough to have kids and laughed even harder now that I do and can relate. Anyone else that writes about motherhood can't hold a candle to Erma, who is an original. Funny, funny stuff.

Karen
Oh, every mom needs to read Erma Bombeck from time to time... This one was great. I think Bombeck's whole purpose was to make moms feel better about themselves! She makes you see that there are definitely worse moms out there than you, and gives you something to lift yourself up to as well. I'm a big fan :o)
Kris Potratz
This was such a sweet little collection of essays about the things that all us mommas go through but rarely talk about. It's a great book to read in little pieces as each chapter goes quickly. Some are touching, some are downright hilarious. Definitely one to pick up at some point along the way!
Kristi
A quick, fun read that made my day! It is always nice to know you aren't alone - Mothering problems are timeless!
I grew up reading my Moms Erma Bombeck books, so when I saw this at a library book sale for 10 cents I snatched it up! Worth every penny! I will be keeping my eyes open for more!
Jaclyn
I read this book about 12 years ago - way before I had a kid of my own - and even then I found it hilarious. It was my mom's book and I loved it so much that I haven't ever given it back to her and have bought more. I would love to read it again some day, now that I'm a mom too.
Amy
Another one that I read when I was much younger that I should read again as an adult/wife/mother. I bet I didn't even get half the jokes when I was 12! But I know I thought it was hilarious then, so it'll probably be twice as funny to me now.
Joann
It's funny because it's true. Erma Bombeck is great. Some of her stories made me laugh, some made me cry, some made me feel guilty, others removed all guilt whatsoever, all made me happy to be a mom and proud of the profession I have chosen.
Melissa Renwick
the first 3 sentences and I am laughing my bum off. I think I struck gold!

This was one of the funniest books I ever read. It was also thoughtful, insightful, comforting and genuine. I found myself an author that I truly adore.
Heather
I have loved pretty much everything I've ever read by Erma Bombeck, and this book was hysterical. You don't even have to have kids to appreciate the humor!
Kirstin
This book can seem depressing, if taken all at once, but I thought it was eye-opening and interesting. It tells stories of so many types of mothers.
Recynd
I refuse to believe this book was published in 1992 (or whatever it says)...I didn't even "get" the title, I was so young when I read it!
Michele
Another book-sale treasure - she truly has a gift for humorous writing. Very touching tribute to her own mother at the end.
Marshaferz
I miss Erma Bombeck. It's hard to believe that she kept up being this funny on a weekly basis for so long.
Cindi Gibson
I read this book years ago and laughed so hard I cried. I also cried so hard I laughed. Erma Bombeck understood motherhood as only a mother could. She found the humor in those sometimes grueling, painful episodes most of us would choose to forget. Erma understood the comedy and the tragedy of life and of motherhood. I often quote this book, all these years later after first reading it in the late 1970's. I just bought it again from Amazon to share it with my daughter, who has twins (God love her...more
Julianne
Meh. I had memories of her being hilarious. This was amusing, with some endearing stories.
Kathy
The title is reason enough to read and enjoy this offering from funny lady, Erma Bombeck.
Les
I've always loved Ms. Bombeck. She's so funny, and such a storyteller.
Jen
Hilarious - even if you are like me and don't have children.
Marie Martin
Good Erma Bombeck book. Made me smile.
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things!
  • Get Your Tongue Out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Goodbye!
  • Please Don't Eat the Daisies
  • Fatherhood
  • Raising Demons
  • Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home
  • Babyhood
  • You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again
  • Our Hearts Were Young and Gay: An Unforgettable Comic Chronicle of Innocents Abroad in the 1920s
  • The Slightly True Story of Cedar B. Hartley, Who Planned to Live an Unusual Life
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood
  • How I Got This Way
  • My Mother/My Self: The Daughter's Search for Identity
  • Don't Pigeonhole Me!
  • Oh, boy !
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
  • Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health
Erma Louise Bombeck, born Erma Fiste, was an American humorist who achieved great popularity for a newspaper column that depicted suburban home life humorously, in the second half of the 20th century.

For 31 years since 1965, Erma Bombeck published 4,000 newspaper articles. Already in the 1970s, her witty columns were read, twice weekly, by thirty million readers of 900 newspapers of USA and Canada...more
More about Erma Bombeck...
If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries What Am I Doing in the Pits? The Grass Is Always Greener over the Septic Tank When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home Family - The Ties that Bind...And Gag! At Wit's End

“Girls mature faster than boys, cost more to raise, and statistics show that the old saw about girls not knowing about money and figures is a myth. Girls start to outspend boys before puberty—and they manage to maintain this lead until death or an ugly credit manager, whichever comes first.

Males are born with a closed fist. Girls are born with the left hand cramped in a position the size of an American Express card. Whenever a girl sees a sign reading, “Sale, Going Out of Business, Liquidation,” saliva begins to form in her mouth, the palms of her hands perspire and the pituitary gland says, “Go, Mama.” In the male, it is quite a different story. He has a gland that follows a muscle from the right arm down to the base of his billfold pocket. It's called “cheap.”

Girls can slam a door louder, beg longer, turn tears on and off like a faucet, and invented the term, “You don't trust me.” So much for “sugar and spice and everything nice” and “snips and snails and puppydog tails.”
2 likes